Sign in to follow this  
L. Gallagher

MI Gov proposes new license fees

I'm so pissed, I'm never grouse hunting again...

Well, at least until season opens again.

Brian.

ScottGrush

Brian.

You catch a break as I think the only license you buy is small game, what will you do with your new found fortunes?

UplandHntr

If this goes through I guess my sons and I wont be hunting together in the UP.

The families with a couple of kids are the ones that will suffer. How does one tell his sons that almost $500 is not worth it??

Dave Hamming
Never has been, ANF. That's the way Michigan and the MI DNR do budgets...question them further, and they'll show you a pie chart with "administration" taking up the bulk of the budget.

I hate to be so negative about where these increases would go, but after 30 years of watching the State of Michigan and the MI DNR decline, I am doubtful that we're about to see any huge improvements. I know SHF is very confident about the money being spent on things like new COs and dredging, but I think the majority of us Michiganders who have heard and seen all of this before, with both Republican and Democratic administrations, will believe it when we see it.

Our last positive moves on the part of Michigan's conservation came in the 80's. Nothing of merit since then.

As I recall, Gov. Engler was no friend to the DNR. And Granholm couldn't have been if she wanted to. No money.

Snyder is at least trying to do something.

uplandchessies
If this goes through I guess my sons and I wont be hunting together in the UP.

The families with a couple of kids are the ones that will suffer. How does one tell his sons that almost $500 is not worth it??

I'm looking at it as the glass half full. Stinks, but think I'll be showing my 3 buddies some of NE this season due to the MI increase. They've never hunted the prairie, so it's all good.

Chukarman
Here is the copy of the proposed Budget that I received, hope it comes out, I converted it from PDF.

Natural Resources Dept is tasked with 1/3 of new revenues going to harbor dredging? This should be an issue for the transportation dept. I would think. It is not covered by the small contribution from the general fund.

Less than 1/2 the new funds being spent on "Outdoor Recreation"? Bike paths? Launch ramps? Picnic areas? Be interesting to understand this piece.

UplandHntr

how about a reduced rate for sons/daughters still living at home and/or in school?

Ok, no discounts for the 45 y/o lifetime student living with Mom!

Steelheadfred
Here is the copy of the proposed Budget that I received, hope it comes out, I converted it from PDF.

Natural Resources Dept is tasked with 1/3 of new revenues going to harbor dredging? This should be an issue for the transportation dept. I would think. It is not covered by the small contribution from the general fund.

Less than 1/2 the new funds being spent on "Outdoor Recreation"? Bike paths? Launch ramps? Picnic areas? Be interesting to understand this piece.

Fisheries is a big dam deal in our state.

We need harbors dredged or we risk losing large amounts of recreation generated tourism that supports vast amounts of jobs and essentially supports many rural towns.

268999_526312080728327_1973581002_n.jpg

With out maintained boat ramps we can't access waters.

Lucky Dog

We need harbors dredged or we risk losing large amounts of recreation generated tourism that supports vast amounts of jobs and essentially supports many rural towns.

268999_526312080728327_1973581002_n.jpg

Right on.

We are not talking about dredging so ships can pass, we are talking about dredging so that 18-20 foot boats can launch. Right now on Saginaw bay, I can not launch my 19' boat on the inner bay. I either go to the outer bay, and run 20 miles back in or launch in the Saginaw river and endure an hour idle to the bay.

InmymindIgotthatbird
How many more empty motel rooms and seats in reaturants will there be our group is looking at cancelling our trip and staying in WI

rosies dad

Harbor dredging should be 100% Army Corps of Engineers. Always was before.

The reason harbors need dredging is for BUSINESS, fishing boats hardly ever are affected by harbors full of sand, its commercial shipping that needs this.

Why not have SHIPPERS/BUSINESS benefiting from good harbors pay anything the Corps of Engineers dont do?

This Republican Governor is in too big of a hurry to make Joe Lunchbox pay for everything.

Brian.

You catch a break as I think the only license you buy is small game, what will you do with your new found fortunes?

Change the locks on the cabin doors...

rosies dad

Right on.

We are not talking about dredging so ships can pass, we are talking about dredging so that 18-20 foot boats can launch. Right now on Saginaw bay, I can not launch my 19' boat on the inner bay. I either go to the outer bay, and run 20 miles back in or launch in the Saginaw river and endure an hour idle to the bay.

Is this dredging a river/harbor large scale or clean out to be able to use BOAT RAMP for sport fishing? How far from "open water"? 100' or 2 miles down river?

I would like to understand what and how much silt/sand is plugging, and if this is in a commercial shipping lane.

Sure if its only for sport fishing, its another matter. DNR and the Municipality should try to agree on a payment.

If its got something to do with Shipping and movement of commercial freight.. Army Corps...

I dont think you should combine the two and say they are the same.

Lucky Dog
Harbor dredging should be 100% Army Corps of Engineers. Always was before.

The reason harbors need dredging is for BUSINESS, fishing boats hardly ever are affected by harbors full of sand, its commercial shipping that needs this.

Commercial harbor dredging was and still is the Corps responsibility.

The DNR has always been in charge of maintaining their own facilities, and this is what they are putting the money into doing.

Many of the ramps cannot launch a duck boat right now, the ramp itself is what is going to be dredged. may Ramps are also lot long enough to launch a boat with the low water.

I think there is going to be some harbors that get some dredging that are port of refuges, which one could argue are the responsibility of the Corps. But the reality is that they are not going to do it.

The last meeting I went to, the Corps had identified 109 "critical" commercial harbors on the great lakes that need dredging. They have funding for 9 in 2013.

L. Gallagher

Dredging is currently a hot political button in Michigan.

Commercial shipping, although it has had some issues in Michigan, is for the most part ok as long as the ships carry smaller loads. Any dredging needed for commercial shipping is indeed the responsibility of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and would be a federal project.

Traditionally, the MI DNR has never taken on the task of dredging alone.

Most of the dredging needed is for municipal, county, and township harbors, marinas, and boat ramps, all of which are expected, and have to date, provided most of the cost of periodic dredging through federal and state grants and public tax dollars.

This is not a new issue, nor would it be the first time any of these harbors or boat ramps have been dredged, as the DNR would have you believe. Water levels have been dropping for years, and although we are currently at our lowest levels ever, dredging has been an ongoing thing in most harbors for the past decade or longer.

I will be very surprised if any of these new license dollars will be used to do more than token dredging or add a token CO or two.