MI Gov proposes new license fees

L. Gallagher

$150 is sky high for a non-res small game license in this region.  Baffles me a bit.    We just raised ours after being cheaper for many years--to $85. Maybe we'll see a new surge in non-res hunters?

A little late as the thread has faded but the Minneapolis paper has an article today stating the MN license fee increases. Noticed the non resident small game license goes from $84.50 to $102 on March 1st. There will be a new 3 day non resident small game license for $75 which covers any required state stamp (waterfowl and pheasant).

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steelheadfred

• L. Gallagher

• caleb

• Lucky Dog

So by his account maybe the res hunters should pay more?

Perhaps he's right, Dan.  My assessment was based on the assumption that residents are already ponying up for the taxes that underwrite the whole state system.

Fritz,

Our DNR XC ski pass is $20/year here.

Before Kids I spent a lot of time each winter on X Country Ski's - on state land where the lot was plowed, trees mark, signage maintained.

I did it all for free - you know who paid for those services, the hunters, anglers, boaters, and ATV folks.

In Michigan you can go pick morel mushrooms and sell them for a mint, off public land. A fishing guide has to be licensed and pay a per rod tax when he accesses our public waters with paying clients, despite the fact that his clients all purchased fishing licenses. The "other" users could significantly "help" the system.

Absolutely correct , the hippies need to pay too!

bosco mctavitch

Looks like NY is aiming to LOWER their license fees.  No mention in the article about non-res cost, but from an offhand comment I heard I understood they'd also come down.  It was also suggested this was to appease sportsmen angered by the midnight gun legislation recent.y, but regardless I thought it was interesting in light of this thread.

Linky

This link pretty clearly states that the cost will come down for both res and non res alike.

Other linky

However, what this does not mention is that if you have no interest in deer hunting and just want a small game license for birds or turkey hunting, this would INCREASE the cost of your license from $85 to $100 since there would no longer be a small-game only license.

Looks like NY is aiming to LOWER their license fees.  No mention in the article about non-res cost, but from an offhand comment I heard I understood they'd also come down.  It was also suggested this was to appease sportsmen angered by the midnight gun legislation recent.y, but regardless I thought it was interesting in light of this thread.

Linky

This link pretty clearly states that the cost will come down for both res and non res alike.

Other linky

However, what this does not mention is that if you have no interest in deer hunting and just want a small game license for birds or turkey hunting, this would INCREASE the cost of your license from $85 to $100 since there would no longer be a small-game only license.

Cuomo cant figure out that all hunting &fishing licenses expire at midnight September 30 and the new licenses begin 12:01 am October 1 what is so complicated ? No wonder this state in deep trouble and we have a bunch of stupid laws!

• 1 month later...
Pinecobleguy

Regardless of whether or not you think the increases are just they will do NOTHNG for sportsman or the DNR.

This week the governor's new fishing license fees cleared the House Natural Resources Appropriations subcommittee. In other words, they endorsed the governor's new simplified license structure, the much-needed higher out-of-state license fees. But, while passing the fee package, the subcommittee did other damage.

The new hunting and fishing license fees bring in about $11 million. The governor wanted to use that money for a variety of things, including funding a new Lake Huron fisheries research vessel and hiring more conservation officers.

Those initiatives were stripped out of the bill. And, the subcommittee stripped another $19 million in general funds out of the DNR budget.

Bottom line... License fee increase, but lower overall DNR budget, and more disinvestment in Michigan's natural resources.  Now the bill goes on to the full Appropriations Committee in the House. It is chaired by Joe Haveman out of Holland.  Concurrent legislation will move in the Senate.  There are several more opportunities to make ourselves heard.  The Legislature is on break until the week of April 8.  A coordinated phone campaign that week may help restore some sanity to the sausage making.