MI Gov proposes new license fees

L. Gallagher

Steelheadfred
24% increase in game wardens. Has there been a huge increase in game law crimes? Increase license fees to pay 20+ million in dredging costs?

Typically the out of stater pays 10X the fee to hunt or fish for probably a week. The same in most states....easy to say let the other guy pay.

Sorry just tired of the burocratic BS. In NY it was the patent leather crew. More interested in getting their masters degree, so they would get a pay increase, than actually doing any worthwhile work. I've seen a big change over the last 45+ years and none of it for the good.

We have one game warden per county, that's it. They cover everything from 600K plus deer hunters, to very very busy Salmon seasons in our tribs to recreational boaters.

Dredging:

Lake Mi is at it's lowest point since 1918 I believe, our migratory game fish can't access spawning waters.

Three years ago there was two plus feet of water over this sand.

268999_526312080728327_1973581002_n.jpg

I'm thrilled with the changes, $10.00 resident small game is too cheap, $150 is a bit too much. That said, it's $75.00 bucks to fill up a tank of gas. It's $100 bucks for 5-7 days in the Dakotas. I support this increase, I support the money raised going toward dredging our harbors, if we don't dredge our sport fishery is going to crash in a hurry, our boating industry will take a huge hit.

This is long overdue, if it's $150.00 bucks it's $150.00 bucks.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steelheadfred

• L. Gallagher

• caleb

• Lucky Dog

Do you really think that we will see more CO's, and be able to dredge all the harbors with an increase in hunting and fishing fees when thousands of people may be forced to quit the sport altogether in MI because of those fees??

Glad you are so optimistic. With the increase in the gas tax, we'll see far fewer boats on the water, not to mention less industry using boats, so what's the point in dredging the harbors? Not to mention that if there's less hunting and fishing in this state, we won't need extra CO's...

But then again, maybe we would, because I have no doubt poaching would go up.

Doubt we'll see more CO's, anyway, as this is not the first time we have had an increase of some sort implemented with the promise of more CO's...that never happened.

I also support a small increase, but not this much, and not coupled with the huge increase in the gas tax...I have already had to limit my hunting because of the gas prices, make it any higher, and I'll be limited that much more, and I would say I'm the pretty typical Michigan hunter.

Steelheadfred
Actually I think it would be $175.

$150 is the non-resident base then license fees apply after that and it's discussed that small game will be $25.

The resident base fee is $10 so the Mi. resident small gamer will pay $35 as I understand it.

$35 for small game, boy these Republicans (MOTTO-cut costs dont raise taxes) seem to be in a big snit to suck the money out of Everyone.

They are also proposing HUGE increases in Gasoline tax, and vehicle registration.

They already began taxing retirees pensions beginning this year and arent even waiting to see how much money they get before going for more.

Making the "other guys" seem cheap.

I may be wrong on that Dick, Hammer says it will actually drop to $10.

I'm reading it as $10.00 bucks will cover the base fee which includes small game.

There is a breaking point. Unfortunately, MT and ID are finding this out the hard way.

Link

Interesting article.  The big game tags are falling off at $302-$944 (depending on species), and I have to imagine high gas prices are contributing somewhat to that falloff.  Even if the falloff is entirely attributable to the license fee increase, we're talking at least twice what's even being proposed for bird hunting.

So far this year I have nonresident licenses in Mi,MN,S.D.,PA,& WV.  I plan to hunt in most of those states again next year and maybe a few new ones. Years ago Ohio had birds and I did not travel much for GREAT grouse hunting.

Increased fees for out of state hunters affects all of us, as most of us have the passion and desire to explore new places, extend seasons, hunt new species, and find birds.  

I find that other states follow the lead and increase their fees as well.  Be careful what you wish for. :p  Time to get another part-time job.......in the off season.....:)

Roger Brown

Steelheadfred

I also support a small increase, but not this much, and not coupled with the huge increase in the gas tax...I have already had to limit my hunting because of the gas prices, make it any higher, and I'll be limited that much more, and I would say I'm the pretty typical Michigan hunter.

I'd love to hear how you are the typical hunter. Cause I just don't see it, I don't see it at all. I don't see the typical hunter that is crippled by a budget, I see folks driving expensive pick ups, carrying expensive rifles, and eating and drinking copious amounts of food and beer and smoking packs of cigs all the while checking facebook on their Iphones.

SHF  +1000

What is the price of 1 day at Disney world?  $100?  Go out west skiing at the big resorts?  $100/day plus food.  

The outdoors is my amusement park and laugh at the absolute bargain it provides me.

Steelheadfred
SHF  +1000

What is the price of 1 day at Disney world?  $100?  Go out west skiing at the big resorts?  $100/day plus food.  

The outdoors is my amusement park and laugh at the absolute bargain it provides me.

Round of Golf at a decent course, $60 to  $100

bucks, for four hours.

Line of skeet $5 plus shells.

I already said I would support a small increase, but with each increase we put on the people...ALL the people, not just those making $200k a year and more, we are that much closer to becoming a country where the kings hunt, everyone else poaches or starves.

I am surprised you think like this, Fritz, as I didn't think your hotel catered only to high end clientele...if it does at all. You may be seeing a full building in July, but what do you see the rest of the year?

And a round of golf at Shanty Creek Resort, one of the highest rated resorts in the country with four championship golf courses, was dropped to only $30 last summer at any of the courses. And we have two golf courses over here in foreclosure, one has already closed.

Steelheadfred
I already said I would support a small increase, but with each increase we put on the people...ALL the people, not just those making $200k a year and more, we are that much closer to becoming a country where the kings hunt, everyone else poaches or starves.

I am surprised you think like this, Fritz, as I didn't think your hotel catered only to high end clientele...if it does at all. You may be seeing a full building in July, but what do you see the rest of the year?

And a round of golf at Shanty Creek Resort, one of the highest rated resorts in the country with four championship golf courses, was dropped to only $30 last summer at any of the courses. And we have two golf courses over here in foreclosure, one has already closed.

Linda,

Again you are off base and show little understanding of operating a business and I appreciate your lecture on how to run a hotel. We set rates based on supply and demand for the product we offer, if we depended on peak season only, we could not survive. We've been here for 13 years and will continue to have a Marriott presence in this market for as long as I'm in business with the understanding that we operate a business that meets and exceeds the expectations of our customers. It is no different at my down state hotels either. I have the data about the average household incomes of travelers that pick the brands I operate. I think they might shock you.

As far as Shanty Creek, you claim "one of the highest rated resorts in the country with four championship courses."

Can you provide where you found this information? Cause I just received the latest Golf Digest, I failed to see Shanty Creek listed in the top 100 Golf Resorts, I also failed to see Cedar River or the Legend listed in the top 100 public courses, then if you break it down to the state you fail to see them listed as even the best courses in the state. Shanty Creek is a great resort, they have two very nice courses, but Summit is a dog track. The rooms and meeting space are old and decaying, they have done significant improvements and I believe will recover with proper leadership. But they are not in Traverse City and they are not in the Charlevoix to Harbor corridor either, kind of stuck in no mans land out there.

If you also look at the $30.00 to play, that was for the Summit, and or it was for after 3pm. Good business practices on their part. I sit on a board or two with Pete Bigford, he has done amazing things for that resort. But you and I will both agree, it's no Boyne, Crystal Mountain, or Arcadia Bluffs.

At the end of the day business and natural resources is about supply and demand and location.

There is an over supply of golf courses in MI, plain and simple, the courses with the best locations, best courses, best services will survive, the others will not. I've been approached with three golf course deals in the last year, these are courses that are struggling, bank owned, ext. I could not make the numbers work on two of the three, IF THEY GAVE THEM TO ME. Too much supply not enough demand. The third course we got out bid on, but it would have been a home run for the asking price of $600K and the real estate that came with it. Again, location location location.

SHF  +1000

That is how I look at it no matter what state I'm hunting in.

I guess I might as well unsubscribe to Pure Michigan. Hopefully PA and FL won't mind me taking the money I would have spent in MI and spending it there.

Actually I haven't hunted in MI for many years but I did golf and fish there.

ok, sure, Fritz, but I am very familiar with a whole lot of other businesses up here that are having a very hard time surviving on 6-8 weeks a year...I understand that Marriott is supporting you, that's what keeps a lot of the chains going, support from higher income, busier areas elsewhere. But that's not what keeps everybody else going.

It was $30 at ALL the golf courses, including Cedar. Yes, it was after 3 p.m., but you should have seen the business they did after 3 p.m.

And maybe it's not in the Top 100 golf courses in Golf Digest, but how many courses in Michigan are?

And isn't that the point of Pure Michigan? To make people more aware of what awaits them in this state and bring them up here?

They didn't think there was too many golf course in Michigan when they built them-only when the economy started to slide...and although it is a tiny bit better, it's still sliding...no matter what our Governor says. It won't take much to put us back down again.

This is long overdue, if it's $150.00 bucks it's $150.00 bucks.

I'm reading it as $10.00 bucks will cover the base fee which includes small game.

The state lodging association just increased the bed tax from 2-5%

You are see a drop in resident small game, a modest increase in deer, and a drop in Fishing License fees.

Typical liberal thinking, screw someone else out of money so you can keep more of yours.

Here's hoping this passes as written and your out of state hunting collapses with a big loss of revenue.