ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH

greypartridge

it's nice the boy gets to spend time with his grandfather .....

Skiing invites come and go so quickly these days.

True story...I was skiing with my kids and some of their friends and after a couple of runs, one of them asked Andrew how old I was.  All he could see of me was a helmet, goggles, and a really white beard.  In his world, I could have been 35 or 75 and he hadn't a clue where I landed.

This is my youngest and me (or his grandpa) as we left a snowcat.  Yup, Colorado sucks.  

00453D8D-C3E6-47A7-BAC8-9DD23FD67A34-274

That cover looks a little thin.  We have had a staggering number of instructors from Colorado applying to my home mountain in the last few years and had to limit reciprocity of pro patroller tickets because we were being hammered by guys from Utah.

Colorado and Utah have the marketing machines - and they need it to support the 8 miles of non-stop condos between Vail and Beaver Creek -  but there are far better places to ski in the West.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greypartridge

• Dave Medema

• Hunshatt

• Lars

there are far better places to ski in the West.

Given I haven't been west to ski in a # of years, what do you suggest?

greypartridge
Dave,

Those pictures make Colorado look absolutely horrible.  Coupled with the alleged presence of pot smokers and liberals, I'd suggest you flee immediately.

:D

Caleb,

Would love for you to share all of your knowledge and Colorado experiences with us :p

how do you think they would work on eastern ice... I'm liking easier as well.... the days of having my cuffs riveted for more stiffness, and ripping GS turns at warp speed  are gone.... fun is the order of the day now... (which I guess is whay I'm spending more and more time in the backcountry.... freshy snow)

have you tried....

Ski_bike_Durango.jpg

Seriously, one of the guys that I ski with loves his Lines in the softer snow, switches to something narrower on hardpack/ice ice.

Anyone who lives here and thinks the hunting and fishing here is even good, that does not have multiple private ranches to hunt on is Naive at best.

This thread is great. It'd be like me saying Wisconsin is a shitty state for grouse hunting just because I'm a shitty grouse hunter.

greypartridge
Anyone who lives here and thinks the hunting and fishing here is even good, that does not have multiple private ranches to hunt on is Naive at best.

This thread is great. It'd be like me saying Wisconsin is a shitty state for grouse hunting just because I'm a shitty grouse hunter.

I just love the naive comments from the ones with the least experience!

what about the misdirected dislike of THEM causing your problems, when what really seems to be chapping your backsides is a result of THOSE GUYS with the private ranches?

Dave,

Those pictures make Colorado look absolutely horrible.  Coupled with the alleged presence of pot smokers and liberals, I'd suggest you flee immediately.

Caleb,

Would love for you to share all of your knowledge and Colorado experiences with us :p

Not too long ago Forbes ranked Colorado #4 in quality of life: http://www.forbes.com/2009....ng.html  I'd venture that's a more objective measure than my experience, your experience, or anyone else's individual experience.

Of course, if you don't like it, move.  Nobody's making you stay, and there are sure plenty of people who want to live there.  Places that are poorer, heavier, and less educated abound.  The bottom of the Forbes list I linked above might just contain your dream location.

I'm beginning to believe you don't know what the actual definition of the word "naive" is.

Honestly, I don't know--or particularly care--about your experience in CO. It does make you look sort of retarded, though, when you complain about it incessantly and several people post pictures that refute the claims you're making, all the while you telling them how wrong and "naive" they are.

Anyway, I'm just enjoying the reading!

greypartridge

what about the misdirected dislike of THEM causing your problems, when what really seems to be chapping your backsides is a result of THOSE GUYS with the private ranches?

I have been fortunate to have hunted and fished on some of those ranches. I am glad they are there ......they are like preserves.....what I am saying if you just want to go out and have a quality hunt on BLM land it just isn't going to happen in Colorado unless you have 10 years of preference points to hunt one of the controlled areas.

Most of my hunting in other western states is and has been on private land. Colorado is just so CROWDED.

greypartridge

I'm beginning to believe you don't know what the actual definition of the word "naive" is.

Honestly, I don't know--or particularly care--about your experience in CO. It does make you look sort of retarded, though, when you complain about it incessantly and several people post pictures that refute the claims you're making, all the while you telling them how wrong and "naive" they are.

Let's hear about your experience.

greypartridge
Dave,

Caleb,

Not too long ago Forbes ranked Colorado #4 in quality of life: http://www.forbes.com/2009....ng.html  I'd venture that's a more objective measure than my experience, your experience, or anyone else's individual experience.

Of course, if you don't like it, move.  Nobody's making you stay, and there are sure plenty of people who want to live there.  Places that are poorer, heavier, and less educated abound.  The bottom of the Forbes list I linked above might just contain your dream location.

Not like you I don't get my information out of a magazine :p

Let's hear about your experience.

This has nothing to do with me. You wanted to start a thread where you could bitch about lousy opportunities, and several people responded with proof that the opportunities you're speaking of actually do exist, then you said they were simply "naive."

I've never been to Colorado. Does that somehow change the tenor of your previous comments to people that live there?

Either way, I hope you find someplace you enjoy. Honestly. Just don't act surprised if you bitch about it on the internet and people bust your balls.

The - this place is great / no it sucks banter is entertaining and I am pretty anchored in here, but I understand greypartridge’s frustration and knowing 15 years ago what I know now, I would have chosen differently.  

1. CO is not a hunter friendly state.  There is a boatload of strong anti hunter anti gun owner sentiment.

2. It can be very hard or expensive to get access to hunt private land and our the legislature planning to give a lot more tags directly to landowners is going to make it harder/pricier.  We have a lot of publicly owned land that you can’t get to because there is just a few feet of private land between the road and the public.  Of course you can cross if you pay the money($2-500+).

3. Driving distances to get to decent, hunting or fishing can be pretty long.  3 hours east to get to good pheasant areas and 3 hours west to decent blue grouse.  Weekend traffic out of Denver to the mountains and back can be horrible.  It took one of my skiing buddies 4.5 hours to get the 60 miles from the Divide down in to Denver.  Glad I missed that trip.  

4. Lots of catering to the tourist ca$h.  I don’t mind paying tourist money when I am really a tourist, but it gets old on an regular basis.  Everyone has their hand out – fees for national parks/state parks/county parks and parking on FS land or launching a canoe on a BLM landing– I drop about $250 for park passes (camping sites are more) each year and it would be significantly higher if I had a boat.

No going to slash my wrists but I am having trouble locating my rose colored glasses.

Dave Medema
That cover looks a little thin.  We have had a staggering number of instructors from Colorado applying to my home mountain in the last few years and had to limit reciprocity of pro patroller tickets because we were being hammered by guys from Utah.

Colorado and Utah have the marketing machines - and they need it to support the 8 miles of non-stop condos between Vail and Beaver Creek -  but there are far better places to ski in the West.

This is at 12,000 ft and it was just windblown on top due to 40 mph winds overnight.  We slid over the edge and had boot deep all the way down.  That said, the last couple of years have been below average for CO and UT.  

I'll also add that I've skied CO for 40 years and have never skied Vail, Beaver, Steamboat, or any of the Aspen resorts.  We have lots of great options that don't market much.  

FWIW  -  all the fishing pics I posted were on public water within 15 minutes of our place in the mountains.  On a weekend I may or may not see a couple others back there.  During the week, I'll go days without another fisherman in sight.  

I wouldn't call myself naive. I know changes have happened.  Hell, I used to hunt doves both north and south of Arapahoe Rd.    I remember when they paved it.  But, CO is a big place and I have no trouble finding peace and quiet.