• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greypartridge

• Dave Medema

• Hunshatt

• Lars

there are far better places to ski in the West.

Given I haven't been west to ski in a # of years, what do you suggest?

Hunt - my couple of favorite places are Grand Targhee, hitting the Teton Pass to do some road access and Jackson.  However like much of the West their winters have been super inconsistent.  

Revelstoke in BC is right up there - 7,000 vert, retarded side country and no people.  The reason that there are no people is that it is about 6 hours from an airport.

Then, of course, there is where we live, Mt Baker.  There are times when I think about booking a heli or cat trip - and then we get a dump - like 100+ inches over two days - and I think who needs a stinkin' chopper???  Especially with the crazy amount of backcountry that we have and the opportunities for fresh pow all summer long if you are willing to hike.  My widest skis are 133 underfoot.  And wile I might have used them 10 times this season their cost was insignificant compared to the enjoyment that I got out of them.  Guys on anything under 100mm underfoot are armpit deep in snow once they hit the flats on big days.

I've really come to love the coastal mountains.  Lots of pow dropping at super consistent temps and humidity levels.  It tends to bond super solid so you don't get the avie cycles that you see in the inter mountain west.

Let me know if you want to come out.  You'll have a place to stay.  Its all shred love.  It is all good.

Below is a pic of our snowpack the last day of March.  Note the depth compared to the SUVs parked there.

Snowpack_03_31_13.jpg

Cooter Brown
Any you fellers ever been to Macon, Georgia?

933912_476002939148609_2122473208_n.jpg

You have a true understanding of Macon, Georgia, Hunnybun.

greypartridge
The - this place is great / no it sucks banter is entertaining and I am pretty anchored in here, but I understand greypartridge’s frustration and knowing 15 years ago what I know now, I would have chosen differently.  

1. CO is not a hunter friendly state.  There is a boatload of strong anti hunter anti gun owner sentiment.

2. It can be very hard or expensive to get access to hunt private land and our the legislature planning to give a lot more tags directly to landowners is going to make it harder/pricier.  We have a lot of publicly owned land that you can’t get to because there is just a few feet of private land between the road and the public.  Of course you can cross if you pay the money($2-500+).

3. Driving distances to get to decent, hunting or fishing can be pretty long.  3 hours east to get to good pheasant areas and 3 hours west to decent blue grouse.  Weekend traffic out of Denver to the mountains and back can be horrible.  It took one of my skiing buddies 4.5 hours to get the 60 miles from the Divide down in to Denver.  Glad I missed that trip.  

4. Lots of catering to the tourist ca$h.  I don’t mind paying tourist money when I am really a tourist, but it gets old on an regular basis.  Everyone has their hand out – fees for national parks/state parks/county parks and parking on FS land or launching a canoe on a BLM landing– I drop about $250 for park passes (camping sites are more) each year and it would be significantly higher if I had a boat.

No going to slash my wrists but I am having trouble locating my rose colored glasses.

You really get it.....I am not the best putting info into writing....my post would be 10 pages :O

Hell, I used to hunt doves both north and south of Arapahoe Rd.  

Speaking of doves, that is one of the biggest surprises! Mourning Doves, Whitewinged Doves and Eurasian Collared Doves! Holy cow, doves everywhere and the Euros are HUGE!!! Like pigeons!!! Way cool!!!!

Hunt - my couple of favorite places are Grand Targhee, hitting the Teton Pass to do some road access and Jackson.  However like much of the West their winters have been super inconsistent.  

Revelstoke in BC is right up there - 7,000 vert, retarded side country and no people.  The reason that there are no people is that it is about 6 hours from an airport.

Then, of course, there is where we live, Mt Baker.  There are times when I think about booking a heli or cat trip - and then we get a dump - like 100+ inches over two days - and I think who needs a stinkin' chopper???  Especially with the crazy amount of backcountry that we have and the opportunities for fresh pow all summer long if you are willing to hike.  My widest skis are 133 underfoot.  And wile I might have used them 10 times this season their cost was insignificant compared to the enjoyment that I got out of them.  Guys on anything under 100mm underfoot are armpit deep in snow once they hit the flats on big days.

I've really come to love the coastal mountains.  Lots of pow dropping at super consistent temps and humidity levels.  It tends to bond super solid so you don't get the avie cycles that you see in the inter mountain west.

Let me know if you want to come out.  You'll have a place to stay.  Its all shred love.  It is all good.

Below is a pic of our snowpack the last day of March.  Note the depth compared to the SUVs parked there.

Snowpack_03_31_13.jpg

Marty, you say you live at Mt. Baker but nobody lives _at_ Mt. Baker (unless you're living in a van- kudos if this is the case). I guess you're nearby, which might mean Glacier (kudos again). Color me green. I lived in the PacNW and skied Baker for about seven years. Now I live in the south country; I miss skiing Mt. Baker, though I miss the N. Cascades even more.

We can get 7k+ continuous vert down here though it's not necessarily worth the energy to get it. I have skied Revelstoke which is also a lot of slope but all of it generally isn't worth the ride. I'm not sure it's 7k. Down here 7k comes with the price of going to 14k: Shasta or the E. Sierra. Here are two pics of my butt, both on Shasta.

bunnyFlat.jpg

sunBowl4.jpg

I suppose I wouldn't hasten to recommend these trips, unless hardship is okay with the user, of course.

Dave Medema

saw this in the news this morning.....no Denver on the list.  just saying....

Here’s INRIX’s list of the 10 U.S. cities having the most congested roads:

Los Angeles, Calif.

Honolulu, Hawaii

San Francisco, Calif.

Austin, Texas

New York, N.Y.

Bridgeport, Conn.

San Jose, Calif.

Seattle, Wash.

Washington, D.C.

Boston, Mass.

Snowpack_03_31_13.jpg

Marty, you say you live at Mt. Baker but nobody lives _at_ Mt. Baker (unless you're living in a van- kudos if this is the case). I guess you're nearby, which might mean Glacier (kudos again). Color me green. I lived in the PacNW and skied Baker for about seven years. Now I live in the south country; I miss skiing Mt. Baker, though I miss the N. Cascades even more.

We can get 7k+ continuous vert down here though it's not necessarily worth the energy to get it. I have skied Revelstoke which is also a lot of slope but all of it generally isn't worth the ride. I'm not sure it's 7k. Down here 7k comes with the price of going to 14k: Shasta or the E. Sierra. Here are two pics of my butt, both on Shasta.

bunnyFlat.jpg

sunBowl4.jpg

I suppose I wouldn't hasten to recommend these trips, unless hardship is okay with the user, of course.

Oat - we're in Glacier.  Love it.  I jokingly call it "The place where life is perfect".  Even when it is raining it is beautiful.  Our place is right at the Class III take out for the North Fork.  People do live at Baker - lifties and maintenance guys.   There are dorms for them - that is a lot of winter though.

You might be right about the 'Stoke.  In 2006 or 07 they embarked on a major expansion to become the next Blackcomb / Whistler.  2008 came along and everything was dropped, but not before adding a bunch of new terrain.  I forget what it was the last time that I was there - but it was substantial.

If you've been here then you know how reliable the snowpack is we AVERAGE 700 inches, while most inter mountain resorts proudly display that they see 400" per year.   I think our last drought year was 535".

The best days are when the highway is being cleared of tress / snow and down to one lane.  The HWY dept generally allows staff up first and we have an hour or two of freshies before the public gets up.

Cheers!

Go fish the Miracle Mile in WY with those green license plates.

I used to go put up large playgrounds on the side around the west- Once I was in Wy putting up one in Encampment and they gave me the key to the gates on a huge section of the river while I was there. The only thing the guy said to me was " at least your plates aren't green - if they were I wouldn't let you in". Colorado isn't an extremely friendly state .

Snowpack_03_31_13.jpg

bunnyFlat.jpg

sunBowl4.jpg

Oat - we're in Glacier.  Love it.  I jokingly call it "The place where life is perfect".  Even when it is raining it is beautiful.  Our place is right at the Class III take out for the North Fork.  People do live at Baker - lifties and maintenance guys.   There are dorms for them - that is a lot of winter though.

You might be right about the 'Stoke.  In 2006 or 07 they embarked on a major expansion to become the next Blackcomb / Whistler.  2008 came along and everything was dropped, but not before adding a bunch of new terrain.  I forget what it was the last time that I was there - but it was substantial.

If you've been here then you know how reliable the snowpack is we AVERAGE 700 inches, while most inter mountain resorts proudly display that they see 400" per year.   I think our last drought year was 535".

The best days are when the highway is being cleared of tress / snow and down to one lane.  The HWY dept generally allows staff up first and we have an hour or two of freshies before the public gets up.

Cheers!

Marty, it sounds like you've got it going on. I miss that place. In any thread that brings up PNW skiing, the season of 98-99 should be mentioned (actually my first year in the PNW). The record snowfall of 1140" fell at Mt. Baker. While 400" would definitely be a banner year for the south rockies, Baker might have gotten that in February alone in '99. However, one shouldn't expect a blue sky.

A funny note is that the only time I went to Revelstoke was '08 or '09, and it was like a ghost town. The lifts, buildings and infrastructure were all perfectly new and pristine from the expansion you mention. With the economy as it was, I think we skied with only a few hundred others. It was like showing up to a party and nobody else was there.