Sign in to follow this  
steve s

Cream of the crap

kdvollmer
I totally forgot about Old Style, that's just swill.

Hey now, I kinda like Old Style... I just can't get it down here.

Keith
All these posts and no one has mentioned "Blatz" about $12.00/case........but my favorite has to be "OP"beer....(Other Peoples)

Chris Raymond
It's summer time.  That means graduation parties, family reunions, 4th of July parties, etc.  Typically when you arrive at such parties you have a line of coolers chock full of icy cold, inexpensive domestic beers ready to dive into.  So, which can of pee water will you reach for first?

Youse guys actually drink beer out of cans?

I live in a county without a stoplight.  If I didn't drink beer from cans I'd be mighty thirsty.  That, or I'd be an expert homebrewer.

True story: last Saturday night I was at a local law enforcement party - mainly sheriff's department, but some local cops, highway patrol, and DNR guys too.  I dug the crappiest beer out of the fridge to pack along, which happened to be High Life.  When I cracked the first beer, one of the female deputies started busting my balls for drinking "fancy boy" beer - "Ooo somebody's drinking champagne tonight!  Faaannnccy!"  

Lesson learned.  Next time I'm picking up a sixer of Natty Ice en route.  Sometimes the cheapest swill is also the best option.

Dude, she was just hitting on you.  It wasn't about the beer...or then again, maybe it was the goggle effect.  ;-)

MN Tonester

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.

Life's too short to drink lite beer

Brad Eden
"from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe..."

I grew up drinking Rolling Rock and I loved it.  Nothing said summer like a bunch of green pony bottles on ice.  Then Budweiser bought then, shut down the brewery and moved production to Newark.  I haven't bought any since.

Rolling Rock was THE cheap beer at off campus dive bars at UMass Amherst, back in the late 70's, early 80's. I drank a lot of it, but is it just me or does RR smell real skunky once it approaches room temperature?

I drank a boatload of Budweiser through my 30's and it made me a mean drunk for some reason, maybe my kids were young and driving me nuts, but I am the same about red can Bud now as I am with cigarettes, they make me ill

Rex Hoppie
Miller High Life, the champagne of bottled beer.  They have used that slogan since I was a kid. They are making beer, why would you think about comparing it to champagne?  For a while they said that was the reason for the clear glass bottle.

Fin2Feather
The High Life. No question.

Briarscratch
"from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe..."

I grew up drinking Rolling Rock and I loved it.  Nothing said summer like a bunch of green pony bottles on ice.  Then Budweiser bought then, shut down the brewery and moved production to Newark.  I haven't bought any since.

I drank a lot of it, but is it just me or does RR smell real skunky once it approaches room temperature?

Yeah, like most "inexpensive" beers they need to be cold.  True story - we used to have cooler bobbing contests in the pits after the races were over.   You'd fill a cooler halfway and add a couple bags of ice, then throw in a RR pony bottle.   The bobber would have to hold their hands behind their backs and chase it around until they got it.

Let me tell you, sticking your head in a tub of ice-water for long periods of time can do weird things to a guy's mental state.  Or maybe it that was the problem to begin with.

caleb

"Beer for a glass. From a can."

Speaking of good beer in cans, this was a nice surprise tonight.

E043C8DC-7B92-473A-936C-68E3E3705101-102

PWZ
The whole notion of no canned beer is good beer is just another easy maxim put forth by folks who've never ventured west of a bottle of Sam summer

Kansas Big Dog
"Beer for a glass. From a can."

Speaking of good beer in cans, this was a nice surprise tonight.

Yeah, I think Tall Grass has some good beers, I have had their Buffalo Sweat Stout and their Velvet Rooster Tripel. Both were very good.

http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/beers

Rex Hoppie
Any beer with three names has got to be suspect.

trust me
That Oasis has good color.  Weird logo on the can though.

Cooter Brown

For the cheap stuff I'm with Trust me; extremely cold Miller High Life in the bottle.

As far as beer in cans, Dale's comes in a can.  They make a good Pale Ale and I defy you to drink some out of a glass and say it came from a can if you didn't know it.  Drinking straight out of the can changes the experience greatly because you don't get your nose down in it.  Pour it in a glass.

Doesn't Heddy Topper come in a can?

This brings up another question; why hasn't somebody sent me some Heddy Topper?

TM is right about something else. That Oasis ESB looks nice.  And poured in a proper glass.

Briarscratch

Cans are coming back.  Here's an excerpt from an article explaining the reasons why:

"One is based on the fact that light is an enemy of beer: Sunlight piercing a clear or light-colored bottle can cause what some people perceive as a skunky flavor.

Cans also chill faster, are lighter in weight and are easier to stack than bottles. Your cooler will hold more 12-ounce cans than 12-ounce bottles and it will be easier to lug around or load in a canoe.

Meanwhile, the very old belief that cans impart a tinny taste to the beer -- even though tin hasn't been used for decades -- has disappeared with the surge in lined aluminum containers that add no metallic taste.

All this explains why stores that specialize in craft beers are seeing increased demand for cans.

"There have been a lot of advancement in cans over the years," said Maria Johnson, who co-owns C's Beverage Center, 7 Third Ave, in Oswego, which has an extensive selection of craft beers. "There's no off flavors anymore and they're so convenient -- people take them to festivals, or out by the pool or on the boat."

The newest improvements come in the cans themselves. Craft beer enthusiasts know that the appreciation of good beer has a lot to do with aroma and that a small can or bottle opening prevents those aromas from reaching their target: your nose.

So brewers are now experimenting with new configurations. That explains the subtle difference in the new Sam Adams can: The wider lid allows more air flow, the opening is slightly further from the edge of the lid (and closer to your nose), and an extended lip places beer at the front of your tongue."

Craft Beers in Cans