Cream of the crap

Cooter Brown

The newest improvements come in the cans themselves. Craft beer enthusiasts know that the appreciation of good beer has a lot to do with aroma and that a small can or bottle opening prevents those aromas from reaching their target: your nose.

So brewers are now experimenting with new configurations. That explains the subtle difference in the new Sam Adams can: The wider lid allows more air flow, the opening is slightly further from the edge of the lid (and closer to your nose), and an extended lip places beer at the front of your tongue."[/i]

Craft Beers in Cans

Bingo.  Pour it in a glass, or at a festival etc. a plastic cup.  Even good beer in a bottle deserves to be poured in a glass.

The only real justification for cheap canned beer is boating.  Glasses/cups spill too much.  Cheap bottled bear like High Life, well who cares about the nose if it's 33 degrees.

Those are just the rules and I didn't make 'em.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rex Hoppie

• trust me

• Briarscratch

• Cooter Brown

"Beer for a glass. From a can."

Speaking of good beer in cans, this was a nice surprise tonight.

E043C8DC-7B92-473A-936C-68E3E3705101-102

Not a fan of Tallgrass.

A good friend rolled in from Washington recently...he left with a heavy suitcase...we went on a Minnesota craft beer buying spree. Had a local store make some variety sixer's of Surly....a sixer of Lift Bridge Hop Dish, a four of Bad Axe from Big Wood Brewery....and well, I threw in a Michigan beer as well. A Bell's Two Hearted sixer.

A good friend rolled in from Washington recently...he left with a heavy suitcase...we went on a Minnesota craft beer buying spree. Had a local store make some variety sixer's of Surly....a sixer of Lift Bridge Hop Dish, a four of Bad Axe from Big Wood Brewery....and well, I threw in a Michigan beer as well. A Bell's Two Hearted sixer.

I haven't had anything from Bad Axe.  It's on my list now.

I haven't been a fan of Lift Bridge in the past, but my wife texted me a picture of some Hop Dish she was drinking at Blackbird last night and she said it was good.

If you like Surly, a bud sent me a note about a tap-only beer they have out right now called Seven.  He really liked it.  Sounds like it's only available a few places, but I would guess the Groveland Tap and the Happy Gnome have it.  Might be worth a shot.

Thinking about good beer makes me look forward to being back in the Cities in September.

Cooter Brown
The nose has nothing to do with it.

You ain't ever seen my nose, Rex.

PaFlyfisher

Miller High Life, for life.

I still drink it. But my go to beer is Yuengling Lager, a great brew for the money whose availability will underlie any decision about what state I move to in the future.

Bede

PaFlyfisher
"from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe..."

I grew up drinking Rolling Rock and I loved it.  Nothing said summer like a bunch of green pony bottles on ice.  Then Budweiser bought then, shut down the brewery and moved production to Newark.  I haven't bought any since.

At a famous bar in State College you used to be able to buy Rolling Rock ponies by the case, you simply asked the bartender for, "a box of rocks."

This was great fun and the destination whenever we had out of town visitors. However, about when Rolling Rock was bought and moved to Jersey they stopped selling the ponies, and so did the bar. The last pony bottle is framed. They sell ponies again, but the bar does not, I think it was the hiatus became a good excuse to end a tradition that had a tendency to get out of hand.

Dave in Maine

For alcohol-containing swill, my choices vary.  On Canadian fishing trips:  "make mine Laurentide!"  Any brand that sells 28 deposit bottles of beer for the price of 24 is good in my book.  One rule in the boat - the bow must clear the dock before one can crack a beer.

South of the border, it's whatever's cheapest.  Currently, that 's some swill from the local Walgreens, going by the name of "Big Flats" with a picture of a waterwheel on the can.

But I'd rather good beer.  And that means anything from (The Mighty) Penn Brewery of Pittsburgh (when available), Radeberger (when available), Czechvar, Allagash White. I'm kinda surprised no one has talked about Penn - the pilsner is as good as anything from Europe and the bock (St. Nick on the label) and dark are as good as anything anywhere.  Radeberger - that was a substitute currency in the old East Germany.

The worst tasting cheap beer I ever drank was Tusker in Uganda. My team as there doing Embassy Surveys for military assisted evacuations. That was some awful stuff. I think they used formaldehyde to sterilize the water or something, because it certainly left you feeling pickled.

As a kid we drank Strohs by the suitcase (30 pack) or whatever we could swipe from the parents basement. Then we would bring the cans back for the deposit and buy some more. That 10cent MI deposit was gas money and beer money in the bank. Just had to find out where the most recent high school gravel pit party was being held and go pick up the aluminum gold the next morning.

Death before dishonor!!!! I drank enough cheap beer before I knew better, there is no turning back for me now.
Just back from Krogers with a 6 pack (three 24 ounce cans) of LaBlatt Blue, $3.  It is imported.
Don't know if you can get it outside of Pennsylvania but Yuengling makes a very good, cheap, true ale called Lord Chesterfield. Their regular Yuengling Premium is also good. Lager is what put them on the map nationwide though, but it would have been third on my list of their products.
If you're from Davidson County, NC you drive a Ford and drink Natural Light.  If youre from Guilford County, NC you drive a Chevy and drink Busch Light...just the way it is.
Briarscratch
The only real justification for cheap canned beer is boating.  

You forgot drinking in the shower.

Do they still make Blatz?  If I could find it, I'd buy it.

Blatz.JPG

As it is Miller 64's the cheapest beer I buy, and its not that cheap, and I don't really enjoy it that much.

I buy Yeungling now and then too, its very good cheap beer.