Cream of the crap

Cooter Brown
The only real justification for cheap canned beer is boating.  

You forgot drinking in the shower.

Well, you know the old joke.  If you stand in a cold shower tearing up twenty dollar bills and drinking beer, it's just exactly like boating.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rex Hoppie

• trust me

• Briarscratch

• Cooter Brown

Well, you know the old joke.  If you stand in a cold shower tearing up twenty dollar bills and drinking beer, it's just exactly like boating.

You mind if I use that one?

Cooter Brown

You mind if I use that one?

Have at it.  I didn't come up with it.  It's an old timer.  I'm pretty sure Captain Ahab said it in "Moby Dick" during one of his reflective moments (Captain Ahab's reflective moment, not the whale's. The whale was a mean drunk and didn't drink beer).

Rex Hoppie

Steel 211, Steel Brewing Co of Milwaukee.

Is anyone familiar with this beer?

Steel 211, Steel Brewing Co of Milwaukee.

Is anyone familiar with this beer?

That stuff's straight up crust punk rocket fuel. Truly vile, and there's a good chance that when you drink it you'll wake up in the back of a train car

May have been said but the best cheap beer is whatever somebody offers you!

I like pbr at the moment, left some at camp and it was still there next trip. A first.

"from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe..."

I grew up drinking Rolling Rock and I loved it.  Nothing said summer like a bunch of green pony bottles on ice.  Then Budweiser bought then, shut down the brewery and moved production to Newark.  I haven't bought any since.

We grew up drinking Bud - at one point Staten Island (according to the local A-B distributor) had the highest per capita consumption of Bud in the world.

Got to know Pennsylvanians when I went to Rutgers, introduced me to Rolling Rock - tasted like piss to me - still have no taste for it.

Worked near that A-B plant next to Newark Airport after college - the surrounding neighborhood smells like the burnt leftover mash all the time.

As for cheap, if you have or had any Pathmark supermarkets near you, you may recall in the 1970's when they came out with their "No Frills" food brand - one of which was No Frills beer. Plain white cans, red and blue stripes, with not even a pull ring; you needed a can opener to open it. My Mom bought my Dad one six pack, and he lost his mind. "We may be poor - but if I can't get a six-pack of Michelob once a week, I might as well hang'em up."

Briarscratch

Splash some two-cycle mix on your hands and we're in my Whaler dodging Lake Freighters.   But don't forget to obsessively check the pisser.  Plastic bags man....they're out there.

Back to the beer, a new favorite cheapie - Narragansett!  I had some at a barbecue a couple weeks ago and I'll be damned if that wasn't the best cheapest beer I've ever had.  

7406.jpg