REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
valuman

Baseball Thread

valuman

I'd rather not get the usual MLB bashing by the usual people in here, so please try to restrain yourselves if you can. I like watching baseball and as a Red Sox fan, am really liking it this year.

Thanks!  :)

Here we are coming up on the All Star break with the Red Sox and the Pirates leading MLB in winning percentage. Who would've picked that in the spring? The Sox are getting it done with a mix of veterans and rookies and lead the league in several categories, including runs scored and runs differential. The pitching staff has suffered injuries that could have and probably should been reason for the team to fall behind, but no names and rookies are stepping in to get the job done, night after night. John Lackey has stepped up really well in spite of my former opinion of him as a pitcher. All in all, it's just fun to watch the Red Sox play baseball right now.

I don't follow the Pirates and know very little about the team or what the early expectations were for them, but I believe they're leading all of MLB in ERA, which is pretty impressive. It's nice to see them having a lot of success after several years of living in the cellar. I'm sure Pirates fans must be ecstatic right now.

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and beer help us get through the summer!

gunsrus
Just installed a Flat screen outside on the deck just for that sole purpose . Nothing like an evening outside watching my Sox with a little nap thrown in . Yes Tim you are right , the Red Sox were predicted to be in the Cellar this year so all is well . This ten day road trip will tell all . A split or better will put them in great shape . Go Red Sox !

Virgil Kane

Played some AA ball when I was younger and made $40 a week doing it, saw the odds of making the bigs and dropped out and found a real job.  :D        At age 60 I still play hardball with an oldtimers league on Saturdays along with some 12" ball 3 nights a week. I love the game, both playing and watching!

I know a few guys that made the big league and I'm amazed that most of them don't watch or play anymore. Guess they had enough of the 162 games a year and looked at it as a job and not a passion.

I'm a White Sox fan ( still can't believe they traded Pierzinski to Texas  :glare:  ) and this year they're holding up the bottom in their division but it's sure nice to see other teams like the Orioles, Red Sox, Detroit and even the Yankee's come to town. If I died watching a ball game instead of laying in a hospital bed with my life oozing out of me I'd be one happy man!

Love the game and all it stands for.

Virgil

ScottGrush

My Tigers are underachieving once again.

The "fire Leyland" chatter is not as bad as last year before the break but it's still there so I hope they can replay last season and catch fire again after the break but change the ending with a World Series title.

I'm impressed with the Pirates and BoSox, I love McCutcheon(sp?) for the Pirates.

Trappercase

I'm a Jays fan.

Had a nice little 11 game streak there going a couple of weeks ago and I  actually got to take the family to a game while visiting Toronto. But alas they have come crashing back to the basement.

Had high hopes after the off season aquisitions. Can I hope for a wild card if they turn it around?

gunsrus
I'm a Jays fan.

Had a nice little 11 game streak there going a couple of weeks ago and I  actually got to take the family to a game while visiting Toronto. But alas they have come crashing back to the basement.

Had high hopes after the off season aquisitions. Can I hope for a wild card if they turn it around?

Definitely think they'll come back . They just got to gel . Lot of talent up there .

Yukon1
Another Red Sox fan here who is also surprised at how well they are doing. My ten year old son has recently taken an interest in the game which is nice. He stays up with me now to watch the games.

PaFlyfisher

I'm a Phillies phan, having grown up going to games in Philly and countless games at their AA affiliate in my hometown.

The 5 year stretch of division titles was amazing, I thought last year was going to be very promising, after wining 102 in 2011, but injuries took a major toll. The same is true of this year and the simple reality is the team is old.

Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins are going to be favorites for a long time, and it seems as though this will be the final year for the core of the team that won it all in 08. The cupboard is pretty bare in the minors, but the upcoming TV contract and attendance that remains above average should enable the tea to maintain competitiveness, especially in a division that has underachieved all around.

The trade deadline will be very very interesting indeed. As will watching the Pirates to see if they can keep it up and avoid a collapse like the three previous years.

Bede

Ben Hong
I lost interest after they moved the Dodgers to the west coast.

gunsrus

Yup , that and the invention of Electricity.

Don Steese
I love baseball. The relaxed pace seems to agree with my personality. I really hate whatever sport the Dodgers are playing this year. I can't quite identify it but I'm sure it's not baseball???

Cooter Brown

Yup , that and the invention of Electricity.

As soon as the Golden Spike was driven in the Transcontinental Railway it was inevitable.

Dogwood

It will be interesting to see if the Pirates hold up from late July thru August . . . 'course that's true for most teams making a run.  

If Dombrowski can get my Tigers a closer by the deadline lookout.  If not . . . they could make the playoffs but not make it past the first round.

Surprised the White Sox aren't better.  Cleveland's got a nice mix not unlike Boston.

Either way it should be a very entertaining August and September!

As an aside, given how the game has changed, I'd love to watch say Bob Gibson pitch to Miguel Cabrera . . . brush him back old school!  I sort of miss the old intimidation factors.

Virgil Kane
Surprised the White Sox aren't better.  

Well the White Sox just signed Jim Thome to work in the front office. Heck of a nice guys and 100% committed to baseball. Let's see if it helps the WS. Even if it doesn't help it's nice to see a former team take an interest in a guy that gave it his all while playing ball.

Virgil

Rex Hoppie

Baseball is summer.

I root for Pirates and Reds and Cubs and Cardinals and Twins and Tigers and and Indians and Braves and Phillies and Orioles,,,,,

I remember when they installed lights at Wrigley.

Hamms Beer from the land of sky blue waters.