REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
valuman

Baseball Thread

nickwilliams
I still remember my first walk up the ramp at County Stadium to see the Milwaukee Braves. I thought that I was in heaven. The Brewers are in the tank this year, but I still listen because it is the background music of summer for me.

Brad Hire

Valentine led BoSox were my favorite.  God I miss him.

Yankees(again) and Cards in October.

gundogpa

The sox have been good...it's still to see if they are as good as the best record in baseball. I can't believe they are....but I'm not complaining.

The bluejays are surprising.....but they should have learned by watching the sox......getting those big contracts guys might not work out as you expect.

It's very cool to see a team like the pirates doing well, I hope they can keep it up.

Half way through there are a lot of teams with legitimate chances in the playoffs.

millerperch

Big baseball fan here, Twins fan...but they can be tough to watch again this year.

Definitely surprised the Sox are doing as well as they are, like watching them though..

As for the Bucs..they had to turn it around sooner or later, right? Haven't has a winning season since 1992 or something...that's crazy, I'm happy for them...really liked Clint Hurdle when he was managing the Rockies and it looks like he's helping turn the pirates organization around as well.

LostintheOzone
I like a come from nowhere under dog. We have a team but I use that term loosely. 33 seasons and only in the playoffs 4 times. I played in high school but don't watch it. It's a good game.

idcut

Not having any pro teams in Idaho, I've been a Twins fan since the 60's. My son, on the other hand, lives in the Twin Cities area and has been to a number of Twins games this year, is a Red Sox fan.

He texted me a few days ago from the stadium during a Twins-Yankee game, telling me he's got a Twins ball cap for me that's in the mail, and going on and on about the Twins stadium food being the best!

The nearest team is the Seattle Mariners, who are stinking up the place again this year. They used to be a fun team to watch and root for when they had The Big Unit, Ken Griffey, Rodriguez in his early years, Jay Buehner, etc.

sxsneubaum
I'm a Sox fan, the White variety. And a Cardinals fan.  Not a good year for the Sox, but I do like seeing the Pirates in first place.

Virgil Kane

A good friend of mine works for the AAA Cardinal team Memphis Redbirds. Cardinals are always on my radar and have had excellent teams.

If ever in downtown Memphis you guys should take in a game. Great stadium and a good time!

Virgil

valuman
A good friend of mine works for the AAA Cardinal team Memphis Redbirds. Cardinals are always on my radar and have had excellent teams.

If ever in downtown Memphis you guys should take in a game. Great stadium and a good time!

Virgil

I've been to some games in Memphis. It's an awesome little stadium and minor league ball is always a great family fun environment.

The Bo-Sox ran into a very hot Jared Weaver last night and got shut out for what may have been the first time this season. He was really in control of his pitches and would've been fun to watch had he been facing a different team.

:p

Yooper2
Long time Brewer fan...it's been a tough year with Carlos Gomez and Jean Segura the lone bright spots.  It will be interesting to see how many players they are willing to give up before the trading deadline on 7/31.  Despite the tough year, there is nothing better then listening to Bob Ueker call a game while sitting in the boat on a calm evening.

Rex Hoppie

Bob Ueker and Howard Cosell were announcing Monday Night Football.  Ueker used the word truculent.  Cosell in his blustery manner questioned if Ueker even knew what truculent meant.  Ueker answered: If you own a truck and I borrow it, that is a truculent.

Will Ueker make to the Hall of Fame?

Yooper2
Not sure if Uke will make the Hall of Fame...certainly not as a player.  I think he hit somewhere around the Mendoza line.  He stands next to Harry Caray in my book as greatest all time broadcasters.  If you listened to his call tonight as Gomez made a game saving catch in the 9th inning to rob Votto of a homerun he would get your vote for HOF.

Grifish

I really miss Harry Kalas calling a Phillies game.  

Uke is a real piece of work!  I think he is quoted on catching the knuckleball. "I just wait 'till it stops rolling and walk over and pick it up." :)

RuffChaser

I'm a long time Cincinnati Reds fan. I used t listen to them on the radio as a kid in NW PA. I can still get some games on the radio at night here in MN if I'm out in the county.

This year they have a good record but just aren't beating the good teams. With the Cardinals and Pirates in the division I'm not sure what'll happen with the Reds. The Pirates seem to have more staying power than years past. I'm hoping the Reds can figure out how to get big hits when they need them.

Runningdog
TRIBE fan climb aboard!!!!