REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
valuman

Baseball Thread

Chasin'Chukar
I wonder what the overall batting average is for pitchers in the NL?

Better than the AL pitcher's BA... :devil:

valuman

With a ten game win streak in the books, Tigers fans should be able to believe their team is the real deal now. That's pretty impressive.

What's more impressive is the Braves' twelve game win streak that has them in the enviable, if somewhat boring position of being fourteen and a half games ahead of the second place team in their division. Wow! Are they that good, or is the rest of the NL East that bad?

The Bo-Sox won an ugly, ugly game in Houston last night, 15-10, with their new knuckle baller lasting one inning before getting the hook.

gunsrus
Four passed balls in one inning is the record ! It was ugly . He ain't no Tim Wakefield !

Virgil Kane
I wonder what the overall batting average is for pitchers in the NL?

Better than the AL pitcher's BA... :devil:

But not by much  :p

Trappercase
A wise man once said, "Would you rather see David Ortiz swing away or some fat, old manager contemplate the double switch?"

valuman
Four passed balls in one inning is the record ! It was ugly . He ain't no Tim Wakefield !

And Ryan Lavarnway is no Doug Mirabelli, either!

valuman
A wise man once said, "Would you rather see David Ortiz swing away or some fat, old manager contemplate the double switch?"

I have no idea who that was, but I'd like to buy him a drink!  :laugh:

Virgil Kane

Ah, Peavy was his old self yesterday. I heard he got rocked !

And stupid me, you guys got Matt Thorton also. Heard he's on the DL. Hard throwing lefty relief pitcher that tends to get rocked also. If only his fastball had some movement to it he'd be great. His fastball use to move quite a bit, don't know what happened to him. This last year when pitching for the W Sox it was a given that then Matt was in he'd give up at least 1 run a inning. Hope he does better in Boston, nice guy that needs a home.

Virgil

gunsrus
3 and 3 on the road . Not quite what I had expected .

valuman
3 and 3 on the road . Not quite what I had expected .

Make that 3 & 4, Al.  :(

gunsrus
Geesh ! :angry:

gundogpa

And they gained ground......I'll take it.

They still have some issues going forward....I believe some bullpen issues, They need two arms out there who are fresh.....you can't run the same two guys out there every night without the wearing out.

The offense has been sporadic but I am less worried about that. Middlebrooks is back but he better start getting his act together. If not he might not have a spot next year. (he is still young though)

Starting pitching has been ok.....if Buck comes back it will be interesting....probably put dempster in the bullpen?

Really though, they have the most wins in baseball right now. (actually maybe not they might be tied or behind by 1  I haven't checked)

It will be a dog fight the rest of the way and through the playoffs.

It could be we get Buck back.....he pitches the way he was before getting injured, the bullpen lasts all year and the young arms like Workman and Rubby continue to deal and take some pressure off. Middlebrooks regains his swing and suddenly discovers where the strike zone is. Ells continues his power stroke.

They could win it all.

On the other hand.....Koji could wear out anytime, the kids in the bullpen are not ready, Middlebrooks contiues to struggle, Buck never comes back the same. Lackey regresses to his norm and so does Dubrount.

Might make the playoffs but could easily lose the division.

Could go either way at this point.   LOL

valuman
Could go either way at this point.   LOL

I think that's pretty much spot on, Chuck.

Mike Napoli could be a key for the Sox as well. He's not been hitting anywhere near his potential but is now starting to show some signs of getting turned around since he's cut down on his swing. He needs to help more in the lineup.

IMO hitting is a bigger reason for the team's success to date than pitching has been and without more pitching through the stretch and in the playoffs, well... we all know what happens then.

Virgil Kane

Ah, Peavy against Buehrle. Didn't see the final score but it had to be one heck of a game to watch with two great pitchers going against each other. Both ex-W Sox players

Comments on the game ?

Virgil

valuman
Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch last night's game, but the final score was 2-1, Toronto. I think the Sox had more hits, but left guys on base.