Baseball Thread

Chicago just borrowed Peavy for a few years. He sure didn't live up to all the hype when he was here and sat out about 2/3's of one season injured. And poor Bill Buckner was another one that passed through Chicago. One ground ball through the wickets and he's living in infamy  :down:

But alas, the greatest play in baseball was preformed by Rick Monday while playing for the Cubs against the Dodgers when a couple of knuckleheads went to burn the flag.  :unclesam: A Chicago player that did good!

Both Dodgers and Tigers won. Good games!

Virgil

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• valuman

• gunsrus

• Virgil Kane

• Dogwood

There are those in Boston who refer to the I-93 bridge over the Charles River as the Bill Buckner Bridge.

4454395453_49045249fd.jpg

Al, I was thinking the same thing about leaving Peavy in the game last night. Although he has shown grit in coming back from a rough inning, or a couple of bad pitch sequences and I suppose that's what Farrell was counting on. It looked to me like he was afraid to throw a strike more than not being able to find the strike zone.

A win tonight is important for the Sox.

There are those in Boston who refer to the I-93 bridge over the Charles River as the Bill Buckner Bridge.

Al, I was thinking the same thing about leaving Peavy in the game last night. Although he has shown grit in coming back from a rough inning, or a couple of bad pitch sequences and I suppose that's what Farrell was counting on. It looked to me like he was afraid to throw a strike more than not being able to find the strike zone.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Poor Bill

Peavy has a problem IMHO in that when the ump is making him throw through a tea cup for strikes Peavy still tries to nibble at the corners. He tend to forget that he's got 7 other players standing behind him and tries to do it all himself. When I was pitching AA ball for the Lakeland Tigers one of the pitching coaches always said that a perfect game was 27 pitches. One pitch per batter and let them hit the ball to someone. An impossibility but it reinforces the fact that there are other players on the field. Sometimes the "pitchers pitch" has to be abandoned and the ball has to be put in the strike zone and let the chips fall where they may.

Not so much Peavy afraid to throw strikes as it was hoping to get the calls that never came from nibbling at the corners or throwing pitchers pitches

Virgil

Tim , Farrell has to understand this is for all the marbles . Look at what's in the bullpen ,TALENT . This is the AL Championship . 2 runs maybe but a 5 run deficit against Detroit is ''usually'' insurmountable , their pitching IS THAT GOOD .

Wow. Hell of a game. Hell of a series.

Uehara is phenomenal.

Heading back to Boston!

Farrell got smart and went to the pen . Glad it's going back to Boston but ''it ain't over till it's over'' . Great series .
Sorry guys, I watched every pitch of that terrific game!  Looking forward to Saturday afternoon.