Black Bear Chronicles

x Bred Pointer

Brad, when using the buckets you might want to try securing them up higher in the tree to make it tougher for the smaller animals to clean out. Raccoons will climb but seem to give up quicker when the bait is up the tree.

I prefer to uses a big metal barrel that I wire upright to the tree with light haywire. A bear will break the hay wire and pull the barrel over but nothing else is big enough to upset the barrel. I secure the barrel to the tree with a chain through a hole in the bottom of the barrel to keep them from lugging the barrel away.

That's a nice looking sow. Too bad she has the little one with her. She has a head like a boar.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• valuman

• Hub

• UplandHntr

Baits cleaned out when I went in this morning. My camera will only read one of the cards from one of the cameras. Bears on that card but just a couple shots early at 4PM and a slew at 4AM. Season starts next Monday.

Good luck Brad.

I've never taken a bear myself but we did take a few when Elk Hunting in Idaho about 20 years ago.

The spooky thing for me is how much a skinned out bear looks like a man.

Don't think I could shoot one unless I was in extremis and about to be attacked and/or eaten.

Good luck Brad.

I've never taken a bear myself but we did take a few when Elk Hunting in Idaho about 20 years ago.

The spooky thing for me is how much a skinned out bear looks like a man.

Don't think I could shoot one unless I was in extremis and about to be attacked and/or eaten.

Thanks John,

They are alarming when skinned.

I look at killing a bear like I did with the bull moose I shot in 2007. A milestone in my outdoor endeavors. I'd like at least one decent boar, preferably with a bow from a site I baited and monitored myself. I  would likely be good with that.

I look at killing a bear like I did with the bull moose I shot in 2007. A milestone in my outdoor endeavors. I'd like at least one decent boar, preferably with a bow from a site I baited and monitored myself. I  would likely be good with that.

I'm not a bow hunter, but I feel pretty much the same way about bears. I'd like to take one good one and will pass on a small bear... assuming I have the presence of mind and time to make a determination when the opportunity presents itself.

The first bear encounter I had was while I was squirrel hunting and carrying only a .22 rifle, which was leaning against a tree a couple of steps away from me when the bears showed up. I had a dead squirrel laying on my backpack, had just finished a PB&J and still had a cup of sweetened coffee sitting there on the ledge. At less than fifteen yards and uphill from me, the smaller of the two bears didn't seem very small at the time and my mind was racing as I considered options. Had I had a suitable gun in my hand at the time, I would have shot that bear, no doubt about it.

In retrospect, I think it was a second year bear that wouldn't have dressed out more than 120 or 130 pounds. At the time I was sure it was at least 250 pounds!

:oops:  :oh:  :oops:

Some bear sausage would make a nice housewarming gift ... just sayin' ...

Absolutely...Well, then wish me luck. :)

I really think bears are extremely tough to judge.  Without a reference like a flagged post of a known size or a 50 gallon drum, even experienced hunters have a hard time judging bears.  I remember the first bear I ever killed.  I let him come into the bait sight, judged him to be about medium sized, and put a nice double lung hit on him with the bow.  I blood trailed him after about an hour on stand and after finding him about 30 yards away piled up the first thing that popped in my head was, "How the hell is there another dead bear on the blood trail of the one I shot?".  Of course I quickly came to the realization that this was my bear, but instead of 200#'s he weighed about 100#'s.  

:)

Last year my cousin took one just at dusk.  It's not like it was his first bear hunt as he has 3 on the wall.  When I asked him about the size of the bear to gauge what we needed to get it out of the woods he told me it was a 150-200# bear.  It was 2:00am before we had  muscled a 385# bear into the back of the truck.

I wouldn't hold out for a monster if I hadn't taken a bear.  It's good to get your feet wet (hand's wet), and bear are great eating animals.

The only bear I've eaten was a cub a friend shot.  It was delicious.  

I've passed on my one chance to get a bear, because I thought it was around 170 lbs and I really wanted one that was at least over 200 lbs and I thought he'd be showing up the next evening.  But the next morning the paper company clear-cut right over the bait site.  

The next bear in my sights will be steaks in short order, size no matter, I'm hungry.

This is my favorite thread on the UJ right now.

I've always wanted to try for a bear.

I see a nice big boar in your immediate future, Brad.

Best of luck!

First afternoon/evening on stand with bow. No show. I have the card from the camera at this site and a quick look on my camera showed bear photos. Will download tomorrow to see size and the time they were showing up. Back up in a tree on Thursday I think.

I did some scouting in a big berry patch yesterday afternoon. We found a lot of bear sign, deer sign and even a few birds on one edge. I think that's where I'll be on Sunday for the first day of bear season.

What are you doing to keep the skeeters off of you while on stand, Brad?

What are you doing to keep the skeeters off of you while on stand, Brad?

I keep thinking of getting a thermacell but haven't yet. They weren't that bad, just an occasional skeet buzzing in my ears. I didn't put on any bug dope because of scent and wind considerations. I was actually surprised they weren't out in swarms given this site is along a swampy stream and boggy area leading to a small pond.

You should do some predator calling if you get bored, Distressed rabbit stuff. Bear will sometimes come in and investigate that if in the area. You can get an inexpensive hand/mouth call for that.

Here in Wisconsin you can't use buckets or man made materials to contain bait.   So we use hollowed out logs cut to about bucket hieght and then cover with a thick slab of wood from a cut tree and then top that with a heavy rock.  

Doing this will keep most of the little critters out of you bear bait.

Good luck!

This thread has me thinking of sitting in an abandoned Berkshires orchard with my rifle next week...