Black Bear Chronicles

Bring both!

Ya just never know.

I thought of that, but I wanted to dedicate a good share of "sits" to the bow. My attitude has changed. :devil:

Back in on Friday aft. Scott is taking this stand as it should be since we are hunting out of his camp and the other set is on his land and this hot one is on land he secured hunting permission on.

I hope he shoots this bear as much as Id like to. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• valuman

• Hub

• UplandHntr

Scoring with a bow is so much more rewarding.  If you were out there to drop anything that came in you would have started out with a rifle.  Stick with the original plan and when you finally do succeed you will have something to hang your hat on.  You might think on moving your stand or hanging a portable from another tree and leaving that ladder stand where it is.  That bear came in to hit that bait, if it checked out the stand and then left it's because it figured you out.

Brad,

Your story was so similar to my buddy's experience last fall in NH I wanted to share it with you.

Can you put yourself in this tree?

Enjoy the adrenalin rush again.

Brad,

Your story was so similar to my buddy's experience last fall in NH I wanted to share it with you.

Can you put yourself in this tree?

Enjoy the adrenalin rush again.

That's almost exactly what happened. Although my area wasn't nearly as open as that and the bear stopped for a spell under my ladder stand and I swear he was thinking of climbing up. A rush like I hadn't ever felt before!

Was your buddy deer hunting when the bear strolled by?

Soggy conditions yesterday aft/evening. Scott went in on the stand where I almost shared my ladderstand with that bear, I sat on the other. Misty at 4:00, drizzle at 5:00, steady rain from 6:00 on. Canopy kept things tolerable for awhile but we left stands at end of legal light soaked to the bone. No bears out and about. I will try to get in at least two more stands this week and then baiting season ends on Friday the 21st. Then its time to concentrate on upland birds first and expanded archery and regular archery for deer second.

Down to the wire. Did another set at the hot stand Tuesday and again, no show. Scott sat on other, ditto. Im gonna try and squeeze in one more sit tomorrow aft and season ends the next day on Saturday. We are at the bottom of the second and last barrel of bait, so we have fed them well. :glare:

Im anxious to start bow hunting for deer, the expanded season began weeks ago and upland bird starts Oct 1 and then its off to the races with a crazy fall trying to squeeze everything in til end of December.

Toast. Set for 4 hrs yesterday. Perfect conditions, wind was right, cool etc, bait consistently cleaned out etc. Another year, no bear. Glad I had the one exciting encounter, and no regrets for having a bow, even though I likely would have killed that bear with a rifle.

Scott and his son are sitting on the stands this aft. Still might happen.

Today is the end of baiting/hunting bear. Hound hunting runs til Nov 1 and then general season on bear which is basically an opportunity to shoot one while deer hunting runs the month of October. I've spent more time in the ME woods deer hunting than many and have never seen a bear while deer hunting.