REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ThomGordon

Duck Dynasty

Tim Frazier

I want to know how guys who look like that get women who look like that?

$.

Read the book.  Phil was an absentee father for much of their early youth, boys grew up sleeping at other peoples house's pretty often, Alan and their mom kept it all together.   Money had nothing to do with any of the marriges, religion had alot to do with it.  Except maybe the youngest.

Just like Jimmy Carter growing up barefoot in GA, some guys start with nothing, then just make the right decisions for the right reasons and get a little lucky.

Ms Kay is the real hero in this scenario.  She ran the business side of it for years with little education and while she wasn't able to make them rich, she kept them above water.

Tim Frazier

Word of warning.  If people who love the Lord and are not shy about it, bother you, so will Willie/Kories book.

Every chapter starts with a bible verse and ends with a recipe.  I thought it was a brilliant way to write a book.

The last chapter is a little self-absorbed, a letdown as the rest of the book is not in anyway.  

Not bad though.

Briarscratch
I've never watched it, but only because I don't watch much TV.  That said, I saw they were selling Duck Dynasty branded pillows in Walmart.  I figured this was an indication of "jumping the shark".

trust me
 I figured this was an indication of "jumping the shark".

Many years ago I had to Google "jump the shark" to find out where it came from.

I'm rather pleased that one got by me all those years ago.

Briarscratch

AYYYYY!

TheFonz-700x350.jpg

Cooter Brown

I've never seen it because I won't pay the satellite fees for the package it's on.  It's just not justified by the amount of TV I watch.

But my niece and nephew (who despite my best efforts are sort of hipsters) and their friends love it.

If the show reflects the values and ethics some of you guys are saying it does, I think that's a good thing.

In general it's a good thing that southerners, outdoorsmen people of faith etc. are not being portrayed as ignorant buffoons but as solid citizens and good business people.  At least I hope that's the case.

Chris Raymond
"jumping the shark".

Isn't that a Greg Gutfeld banned phrase?  ;-)

Chris Raymond

I also have no doubt they are hard core duck hunters but are also smart enough to realize they are making more money as television stars than duck call manufacturers.

I saw something the other day indicating they had a four or five fold increase in salary for the new season.  9 adults and 11 children or vice-versa share $200,000 k per episode IIRC.  I wouldn't exactly call that rolling in it...not bad work when you can get it but still.  Now, I'm sure they're doing well endorsement wise which obviously is generated by their television work.

Country Nate
Never had any interest to begin with.  Matter of fact, I haven't watched TV since June.  I like it.

Don Steese
For whatever reason the Duck Dynasty tractor trailer stopped at a local mall in this area. The stop was just long enough for word to get around and people mobbed the place hoping to get a look at the bearded wonders. No such luck though, it was just a driver and some crew members stopping for a bite to eat. I've never seen the show nor do I have any desire, but I'm not surprised at the popularity.

ScottGrush

I also have no doubt they are hard core duck hunters but are also smart enough to realize they are making more money as television stars than duck call manufacturers.

I saw something the other day indicating they had a four or five fold increase in salary for the new season.  9 adults and 11 children or vice-versa share $200,000 k per episode IIRC.  I wouldn't exactly call that rolling in it...not bad work when you can get it but still.  Now, I'm sure they're doing well endorsement wise which obviously is generated by their television work.

I agree that's not exactly rolling it by TV standards anyway when near the end of show the cast of Friends were getting $500,000 each, I think a couple of them were getting 1 million $ per episode.

Virgil Kane

My wife is hooked on DD. Not a bad thing for a city girl and she has read both books also. She thinks highly of their religous and family values and I might add I do too.

Beats the **** out of watching Honey BooBoo

ThomGordon

The most baffling thing about Duck Commander is the lack of dogs?  How can you be king of duck hunting without passion for retrievers?  It makes me doubt their sincerity on all other levels.

There it is.

I've often thought while watching this show that it would be much better if they had a passion for hunting hounds & showed it. The trophy wives kept me watchin for the first two season's but now I'm kaputt.

erik meade

The most die hard duck hunters I know do not mess with dogs.

This includes my neighbor who kills upwards of 200 a year because he has structured his whole life around duck hunting.  He pours fancy stamped concrete for a living so works very little during duck season.  He has never been married.  Just hunts every spare moment.

No dog.    

I think he does borrow his cousins' dog sometimes when he is going somewhere that a dog would be useful.

I like Duck Dynasty and have considered getting cable to watch it.

cthemfly25
Don't watch much TV but my adult kids love it and insisted that I watch it.  Saw the show for the first time last night and actually enjoyed it.  It was funny and in a way uplifting.  I won't be a regular but that has nothing to do with its quality.  Two thumbs up.