Releasing dogs from body grip traps

Ive used them in dog proof boxes and 5 ft up in trees but there are some out now that the springs are so powerful,you can't compress them with both hands.You need a tool to set them.That and they hit so hard on contact,I really can't see anything walking away from one.They would kill a bear if it could get its head in it. They serve a purpose but the trapper REALLY has to be careful and follow the law.I suspect that most problems are because they are arnt set legally.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shinbone

• Brad Eden

• Oriongs

• Pomoxis

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Excerpts from a good article concerning snaring. Thought it could be added here on UJ.   For the most part, El Nino has brought above normal temperatures and conditions to North Dakota this

Frightening.  Glad you had the cutters in your vest. 

Wow! Glad to hear you were close to the dog, prepared with the correct tool and everything turned out ok. 

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The chain trap setter is by far the best for a bird hunter.  I have trapped a bunch, 330 can be depressed by hand but the newer they are the harder they are to open.  I have used all the types of commercially available types but the chain setter is by far the easiest you can even use it one handed.

• 4 months later...

Go buy a trap and make yourself proficient at getting it open. A 220 cost $10.00. Well worth it. U tube removing your dog from one.  We all carry a leash when hunting so your all set. I watched the videos and thought I had it. Guess what? I sucked until I actually did it a couple of times. We only get a minute or two to save our dogs. Pratice!