2014 Maine Buck

Nice buck by any standard.  Those fold up two wheel game carts make dragging a deer a breeze.  I carried one in the bed of my truck for four years without using it.  Fortunately I can drive to most of my stands.  But I had to use it for the first time this season, and was darn glad I had it.  I was alone a good distance from home and friends and shot a big doe about a half mile behind a locked vehicle gate.  I used the time I always give a deer to expire to walk back to the truck and get it, as I knew the deer was hit good.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• trust me

• Point5

• Virgil Kane

Nice buck. Congratulations.

Glad you were able to find it that evening. I've had to let a few go until the following morning and I absolutely hate those nights! After tracking the one my son shot a few weeks ago in the dark, I'm about to invest in one of those lights that make blood glow in the dark.

Nice deer, and the rifle/cartridge combo will be looked back on as a true classic one day.

Fun's over.  Now the work begins.

I'm getting too old for this...sore as hell.

The main reason this is a gift buck from the Red Gods of hunting is cuz I messed up on another, even better buck last Monday. Long story short. Was driving to get mail and then to an appt in Bangor when a nice yellow racked buck crossed the road in front of me a few hundred yards from the driveway of the house I sold last fall, at 8:15am. Same size but a much nicer, heavier rack. It was like a typhoon, raining like hell out as we caught the tail end of the devastating storm that ravaged mid USA earlier. I knew where he was going but wasn't dressed or prepped to chase him. But I drove up a side road where I knew he would likely cross. Sure enough I caught him crossing the road and into a thin strip of trees bordering a field. He was gonna cross that field. I pulled over, got out and loaded up and was drenched in the time it took to do that. I crept up the tote road into field and there he was standing in the wide open 60 or so yards off. He was staring right at me. I pulled up and he started trotting across field, not a tail up bound, just a determined buck in rut saunter. I tried to get brown in scope with rain pouring down and touched one off. He never flinched and disappeared over a rise. I searched quickly just to see any blood or hair before rain wiped it out. Nothing. Went back after weather cleared in early afternoon and grid searched the entire area where he went. Nothing. Im confident I didnt touch him. I should have hugged the woods edge and took a solid rest on a wood pile and taken him as he walked across field unaware I was there.

Oh, well...redemption came at 4:10 yesterday afternoon. :)

That's a nice buck in anybody's book !! Good shooting.

Just for my own knowledge, you were shooting a 7mm-08. Were you shooting the factory cup and core 140 grain bullets?

Not to start any arguments but I have found that the 140 grainer cup and core bullets out of my 7x57's questionable about total penetration unless it was a  broadside shot with no major bones hit, Nosler Partitions being the exception. I have been using at least 160 grain cup and core bullets and prefere 175's in my 7x57 so that I do get complete penetration from any angle. Two holes means more blood on the ground and easier tracking especially with big bodied deer like the one you got.

Virgil

I've had complete pass throughs with my 7mm-08 on 7 deer with Sierra Pro Hunter and Hornady Interlock 140 grain spitzers, all less than 100 yard shots and at mv of about 2700 fps. Most were broadsides with only a couple having to penetrate one shoulder, but never two.  

The only shot that didn't give a pass through was the 154 gr. Interlock that went through both shoulders of a heavy doe and bulged the hide of the off side.

I'd be shooting the heavier bullets for complete penetration too, but I found accuracy to be much better with the 140 bullets, Sierra's especially.

That's a nice buck in anybody's book !! Good shooting.

Just for my own knowledge, you were shooting a 7mm-08. Were you shooting the factory cup and core 140 grain bullets?

Not to start any arguments but I have found that the 140 grainer cup and core bullets out of my 7x57's questionable about total penetration unless it was a  broadside shot with no major bones hit, Nosler Partitions being the exception. I have been using at least 160 grain cup and core bullets and prefere 175's in my 7x57 so that I do get complete penetration from any angle. Two holes means more blood on the ground and easier tracking especially with big bodied deer like the one you got.

Virgil

I use off the shelf Rem 7mm-08, 140 grain Core-Lokt PSP loads. Im no ballistics guy, they just seem to do the job and have dropped bucks in their tracks of 250 lbs on the hoof. This is the first time I haven't had a good blood trail. The bullet may have exited but I haven't looked carefully, when opened up he was a mess inside as the bullet went through his body chest to rear. I could have waited for a broad side, maybe, but he was about to climb into my ground blind!

Core-Lokt bullets are among the best IMHO along with Sierra Pro Hunter for cup and core bullets, Hornady and Speer do well too but in my rifles lack the accuracy of the Sierra's. No need for premium bullets for deer hunting. I have had a number of shots like you got Brad. Stem to stern and a mess with a smell from the guts that could gag a skunk.  Oo.gif  Not  bad shot placement just a mess like you said.

You guys shooting the 7mm-08 make me want to get one. Are you limited to one deer in the Maine firearms season?

I leave in a few hours for the IL deer opener tomorrow. Hope I do as well as you and trust me did !

Virgil