2014 Maine Buck

Well done, Brad! There may not be many deer in Maine, but good hunters like yourself make the difference between an empty freezer and a full one. Congrats!!
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• trust me

• Point5

• Virgil Kane

Nice buck! Congratulations. I got too old to wrestle with hanging deer by myself a couple years ago. Now I use a come-a-long and pulley. Way to stay at it.
That's a good looking animal, Congrats!

Nice job on the buck Brad!

Sometimes I think those of us in flyover country take for granted the great deer opportunities we have out here.  I’d second the praise for the 7mm-08.  I’ve been shooting a 30.06 for the last 25 years but my next rifle will definitely be the 7mm-08.  I’ve seen so many pass-throughs on big prairie white tails and mulies that left tremendous wound channels that its hard to find any fault to the round.  This year for example I witnessed a 150 yard shot on a very large bedded mulie doe.  She was sleeping way over on her side so the shot centered the upper leg, shattering it prior to entering the chest.  It took out the heart and still left a golf ball sized hole out the other side.  This was with Federal Fusion 140 grain.  As an old Marine co-worker of mine said after I told him that I shoot a 30.06, “How dead do you want the hill behind the deer?”

Congrats, now go chase some birds (unless smallmouth season is still open)!

Dan

That is one beautiful animal! Are you still on for archery?

Previous question. Im pretty sure he is a 3.5 year old. I've shot 2.5 year olds and they weren't as big body-wise and racks were more spindly.

Yes Al, after T-Giving Im getting back at it with bow in expanded zone. I think that season goes til Dec 14+- same as muzzleloader season.

8pt2014a.jpg

Went and retrieved my medium sized chest freezer from storage and it wouldn't work when I plugged it in, not surprised since it was old and had been jostled around a lot through our house sale and move etc., and sat in strorage for a year. I went and bought a small 5 cubic foot freezer since we are renting and am sick of moving large crap.

I went and picked up my processed meat today. Wow, the last two years  I shot small deer with my bow and forgot the volume of protein you get from a mature buck and the cost of processing. I have asked Santa for a game processing kit, since I plan to start butchering my deer again.

Add in some upland birds, a goose a friend gave me and some wild turkey and Im about full up in this little freezer. Im giving a bunch of meat to my buddy Scott who drove 45 minutes to help me drag the deer out and others I know who like 'deya meat', so that will free up enough space for a small deer if I can make it happen with bow.

Got the head in back shed, plan to boil it off for a European mount or have a taxidermist friend do it since he owes me credit on a moose cape I gave him 5 or so years ago.

The hunt circle is now complete.

Nice buck Brad. I made the same exact shot on a doe last weekend. Ruined a shoulder but the rest was good. I butchered my own, but I asked Santa for one of these skinners for next year. Lots of work but I get great satisfaction in butchering and grinding my own.