Ohio bowhunting

Henry Rackliff

Henry Rackliff
Dumb question, of course I should go.  This morning I got a phone call from one of the guys that went to South Dakota with us.  Actually I bought my springer Quincy from Mike.  Mike tells me that he is headed to Ohio for the bow opener on Sept 29 and is looking for someone to go with him.  Apparently he lucked into permission on 2-4 private farms and his brother is bringing a large camper.  So basically it's gas, license, and meals.  So I guess the plan is to drive out Thursday, scout Friday, and hunt from Sat-Thurs and drive back Friday.  I don't even know where it is yet except east of Columbus.  Anybody know anything about that area?
Breakfast Boy

ThornValley would be one guy to talk to.  That's his stomping grounds, or at least close to it.  But he'll tell you they don't have any deer in Ohio.  Just jackelope, right Scott?

:devil:

Michael Stenstrom
My wife has friends who live in the Columbus area.  I have driven south and east of Columbus.  Beautiful country, lots of deer and turkey.  also some very large deer in that area.
I would say go but Ohio has some very good areas as some (John's neighborhood) that are top areas.  If it's southeast Ohio, jump on it.
 I don't even know where it is yet except east of Columbus.  Anybody know anything about that area?

I know a fair amount about the area. I live about 30 miles east of Columbus and have for more than half a century. Be happy to help you with anything I can.

Mike

Duh.  I didn't see your east of Columbus comment. Go.  The areas east of Columbus are heavily populated by deer with a big buck triangle around Zanesville (if I remember correctly).
Henry Rackliff
I don't know a lot of details yet except that we will leave on the 27th and come back the following Friday.  I think we will be in Pickerington on a farm.  I'm going to try and find out the address of the farm and find an aerial map online somewhere.  Nothing is guaranteed in hunting but it would be very cool to have a chance at at monster.

Pickerington is on the eastern edge of Columbus, just off I-70. You won't find any rough terrain or isolated hunting spots but there are some nice farms. You'll most likely be hunting edges where wooded areas and corn or soy bean fields meet. It will be flat ground and some of the grain fed bucks grow to be monsters.

By the end of September the trees will still have have nearly all their leaves (green). The daytime temperatures will most likely be in the 70s (night time lows in the 40s) so you'll want light weight camo. The mosquitos will still be buzzing, and with the temperatures being that high you'll need to have a plan for butchering any deer you take.

There is a Gander Mountain just off the I-70/Pickerington exit where you can pick up licenses and supplies if needed. I'm not sure if they do deer check-in or not. All deer taken in OH have to checked in at an official check station.

Let me know if you think of anything I can help with. I've never hunted right around Pickerington but I live (and hunt) a lot about half am hour away from there.

Mike

Henry Rackliff
Thanks for the input Mike.  The info on temps is helpful because I'll need to get some lightweight camo.  We will be trying to reach a meat locker of some kind to process any deer we are lucky enough to get.  Hopefully we'll find someone that is able to ship it to Vermont.  I'm sure we'll be visiting Gander Mountain.  Will the mosquitos be enough of a problem that we will need to have some sort of deterrent?  I don't want to be slapping all day and we can't use anything with a scent to alarm the deer.  I'm sure I'll have more questions and may be pm-ing you soon.

Don't worry about the mosquitos. I only mentioned it because I assume you'll have already had some good killing frosts in VT by that time. That won't be the case here so there will be a few buzzing around. I'll be out then and won't be using any sort of repellant. Besides that, this has been an exceptionally dry summer and mosquitos haven't been bad. I guess the exception might be if the place you're hunting happens to be swampy.

The extreme dryness this year is going to make things interesting. I was out doing some scouting yesterday. I found a lot of deer sign but most of it wasn't in the bean fields as I had expected. There were some major paths in the thick cover and woods, running parallel with the fields. Typically these kind of paths show a few overturned leaves and some prints in the soft ground. This year I mostly saw paths of crushed up dead leaves that were very obvious. It was easy to determine stand locations.

Feel free to e-mail me any time.

Mike

I'll be hunting/filming east of Cambridge for the first time this Nov. Dunno much about it yet, but hopefully there will be a couple big ones left when I get there.

I'll be hunting/filming east of Cambridge for the first time this Nov. Dunno much about it yet, but hopefully there will be a couple big ones left when I get there.

That's funny. Cambridge is only about an hour east of Pickerington but it's a totally different hunt. You're looking at big hills and probably more wooded areas than agricultural. Somewhere between Newark and Zanesville you'll see the line where the glacier stopped. Still, lots of good bucks in Muskingum and Guernsey counties. Also more public hunting ground.

That's funny. Cambridge is only about an hour east of Pickerington but it's a totally different hunt. You're looking at big hills and probably more wooded areas than agricultural. Somewhere between Newark and Zanesville you'll see the line where the glacier stopped. Still, lots of good bucks in Muskingum and Guernsey counties. Also more public hunting ground.

Thanks for the info. We'll supposedly be on heavily wooded private ground that hasn't been touched in a decade or so. I'm sure the sabre-toothed chipmunks will be as big as toyotas in there.

Hey Henry and Lurch. I'm about an hour south of where both of you will be hunting. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Just to get you pumped a bit, here are some recent SEO trail cam pics my buddy sent me.