Finally joined the Trail Cam crowd.

I have never owned a Trail Cam. A friend lent me one way back in the dark ages when they first came out and outside of a photos of nothing but falling leaves and an occasional butt end of a deer they were pretty much worthless.

I finally broke down and bought a Cuddeback Ambush RI today. I've been looking at a load of cameras and reading reviews over the years and couldn't resist a price of $129.99 at Dicks on this one. Nothing fancy, but very compact and apparently easy to use.

After this next snowstorm passes and settles tonight and tomorrow Ill set it up. Just behind our house there is a stream that feeds into the lake just down the way. I can see it through the trees from the back kitchen window. It's frozen now and the last time I went back there the snow covered stream bed is apparently a highway for what looks like coyotes and fox. The resident deer are yarded up elsewhere but will start making their rounds come spring and summer as well as wild turkey.

If I get any interesting photos on camera, Ill post them.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• CzechSM

• Big Al

• MAArcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just started using a trail cam last year, caught this guy on "film", hopefully he's still around this year....pretty nice size for around here.    

Buck Ferguson is not camera shy. I have three cameras out spread out a good ways on 160 acres and he showed up on all three cameras. Some highlights:      

Posted Images

Brad, I hope you bought the Dick's warranty - its a good deal as any trial cam can have problems and when you bring it back within a year they will just give you a new one.
After figuring out some SD card issues I set up the camera out back today along the frozen over stream. There were fresh canine tracks since the snow we had Saturday night. I can see why these trail cams are so popular. Just the anticipation of what I might get shots of is driving me crazy! I hope this camera performs because it was very easy to set up and very compact and easy to hang on tree. It slips onto a bracket so you can lift it off the hanger to check it, swap out cards etc. If I like it Ill likely get another one for scouting before and during next falls bow hunting season.
Make sure you put your cameras on private land that nobody else ever goes on, probably the hottest item on the black market today is someone's stolen trailcam...
I hope you get some great pics, Brad. Playing with trail cams is almost like hunting; sometimes you get a trophy shot and sometimes you miss, but it's always fun to head out and see what's on the card.
Michael Stenstrom
Well? Any picts yet?  Pulled my SD card with deer tracks in front of it.  Nothing but dogs and me.  don't know why the deer didn't trigger it.  It even had me way out on the marsh once.  First time the deer had been back in three weeks.
Well? Any picts yet?  Pulled my SD card with deer tracks in front of it.  Nothing but dogs and me.  don't know why the deer didn't trigger it.  It even had me way out on the marsh once.  First time the deer had been back in three weeks.

I pulled it the day after I set it out with that snowstorm we had bearing down us, no shots that night and the weather has been so shiity the last week haven't set it out again, I plan to get it out today and then leave it for a bit.

I pulled it the day after I set it out with that snowstorm we had bearing down us, no shots that night and the weather has been so shiity the last week haven't set it out again, I plan to get it out today and then leave it for a bit.

When I first got mine, I checked it every 6 hours. lol I actually started getting pics when leaving it for a week. Just a heads up...Makes sure you face it N or S so the sun doesn't screw up the pics. Also, make sure there is no sticks/weeds in front to set the trigger off. I placed a couple cameras up at our camp in the UP for deer and bear. Went back 2 months later and memory card was filled up within the first three day from a piece of straw grass I didn't see. Talk about a bummer!

When I first got mine, I checked it every 6 hours. lol I actually started getting pics when leaving it for a week. Just a heads up...Makes sure you face it N or S so the sun doesn't screw up the pics. Also, make sure there is no sticks/weeds in front to set the trigger off. I placed a couple cameras up at our camp in the UP for deer and bear. Went back 2 months later and memory card was filled up within the first three day from a piece of straw grass I didn't see. Talk about a bummer!

Good advise there.

Also, don't mount it too high, for varmints, I put mine about 8 - 12" off the ground.

I love mine. It is really interesting to see what's lurking out there.

This is what I have gotten pictures of: Deer, elk, coyote, bobcat, weasel, pack rat, raccoon, skunk, porcupine, antelope, pheasant, turkey and occasionally one of my neighbors cattle.

I'm still waiting for a bear and a wolf. I'll get them someday.

You might want to set up a second camera to get a picture of your neighbor stealing the first camera. When I was doing bear baiting I had several cameras,It was always exciteing to see what was on the camera. Those days they were film cameras, so I use to spend a lt of time at the 1 hour photo developer.
when are we going to start see some pic's ? I'm going to break out my trail cam pretty soon and get this thread roll'n
Nothing has been moving out back. No new tracks in snow for the last week. I'm gonna check it today or tomorrow and if blank, gonna try another spot. Things up here are in a bit of a deep cold freeze, very little game movement in general.
Pulled it, just nothing moving out back like there was a couple weeks ago. No new tracks in the frozen stream bed in front of camera. I'm gonna set it out in a different area in a week or so after I get back from a trip.
  • 4 weeks later...