• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• CzechSM

• Big Al

• MAArcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just started using a trail cam last year, caught this guy on "film", hopefully he's still around this year....pretty nice size for around here.    

Buck Ferguson is not camera shy. I have three cameras out spread out a good ways on 160 acres and he showed up on all three cameras. Some highlights:      

Posted Images

JRoutson nice bucks.  Especially Ferguson.  Are you going to target him or take whatever comes along?

I__00008.JPG

HOLY CRAP...This buck walked by my early season bow stand. Which begins this Saturday. I've never seen a buck of  this caliber in this urban bow zone.

I__00009.JPG

Small buck also strolling through. By date and time they appear to be traveling together. After seeing the big boy, this youngster will likely get a pass if he makes a mistake.

Plenty of does too, which I will take given we can buy unlimited doe tags for this Expanded bow season/area and only one buck tag.

3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I__00008.JPG

HOLY CRAP...This buck walked by my early season bow stand. Which begins this Saturday. I've never seen a buck of  this caliber in this urban bow zone.

Well that should make it easier to sit on stand and weather the jungle like heat and humidity and swarms of skeeters!

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

JRoutson nice bucks.  Especially Ferguson.  Are you going to target him or take whatever comes along?

I am definitely targeting Ferguson and have a plan for opening day as I think I have a pretty good bead on his movements. I will say that any mature buck that gives me an opportunity I will take it. I am by no means Buck Ferguson or bust. 

56 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Well that should make it easier to sit on stand and weather the jungle like heat and humidity and swarms of skeeters!

Truer words were never spoken. This photo alone will keep me perched through the season. ...Except the bugs are down now. I will gladly remove some of his girlfriends from the herd given we can buy unlimited doe tags in this urban bow zone. But only one buck tag. I'm glad I started processing my own deer again. No more worry and scramble to find a wild game butcher in hot weather.

If your in a tree stand would a thermacell help?  I think there is a slight odor but if you are up high enough or the wind is with you? 

Looks like good good mass to those beams!

8 hours ago, atticus said:

If your in a tree stand would a thermacell help?  I think there is a slight odor but if you are up high enough or the wind is with you? 

Looks like good good mass to those beams!

I don't have a thermacell, but understand thy are scentless. Bugs are pretty much gone uo here, plus we are looking at 60 degree days and 40 degree nights this weekend.

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I don't have a thermacell, but understand thy are scentless. Bugs are pretty much gone uo here, plus we are looking at 60 degree days and 40 degree nights this weekend.

Opening day forecast for me?  I'm looking at 81 and humid with mosquitoes draining blood at a rate of one pint per hour.  I have a "leafy bug suit" and in recent years I've taken to actually hunting in shorts under it for the first few weeks of the season.  Global warming I guess.

Was there life before Thermacell?  I can't imagine.  (and no, Thermacells don't bother deer in the least; at least not until they figure out the smell comes from a guy in a tree trying to kill them)

• 2 weeks later...

I__00011.JPG

Example of a healthy and mature Maine Whitetail Doe. Beautiful animal. Likely she's well over 100 lbs on the hoof, as much as 120lbs, maybe even more. Unfortunately she is traveling below a home stand that I can't bow hunt until October. And I typically don't bowhunt the Regular October Archery season because if I shoot a deer, any deer, I can't hunt and kill a deer with my rifle. And I do like to rifle hunt especially up at camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of bulls at the ranch.  There are only 40 bull permits for the district the ranch is in.  I have never got a permit.  I have an impressive amount of bonus points though.

077A1F33-D878-469F-B76A-14F688674B42.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Montana changed their trail cam law this year.  Used to be that cams couldn't be out during hunting season.  Now they can.  Have to be regular cameras.  Not the ones that transmit to a device.

This is great.  Now I'll be able to see some of those bruisers during the rut that stay nocturnal.

shoot-straight

That's a good one al. Im not getting a lot of pics but Looks like I have At least one nice one to sit for hours on end for.

Brett

D16D3A4A-2EFC-40AD-9032-21173AE890C2.jpeg

Here is my humble submition to this thread. Trying to figure out if this trail is worth sitting on. Put the camera out Sunday morning. I’ll leave it a couple more days and check again. 

958433B3-945B-43C9-B2BB-B6211B85D588.jpeg