Finally joined the Trail Cam crowd.

image.jpeg

Mr Big is still around and maturing nicely. Almost knocked into my trail cam. I plan to head in to check camera again tomorrow if I have time.

FWIW. I sent back the Moultrie M-990i due to the incompatibility with viewing images correctly on iPad and iPhone. Decided to stick with Cuddeback and picked up a Cuddeback Black Flash at Dicks. This unit is one step up from the IR's I have. Haven't set it up yet.

Update on Cuddeback Black Flash, all systems go so far. Very compact unit, easy to set up. Ran some tests shots out back and the photos look good, and upload correctly to my iPad and iPhone. Just need some night shots to confirm, and then it gets set in the woods.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• CzechSM

• Big Al

• MAArcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just started using a trail cam last year, caught this guy on "film", hopefully he's still around this year....pretty nice size for around here.    

Buck Ferguson is not camera shy. I have three cameras out spread out a good ways on 160 acres and he showed up on all three cameras. Some highlights:      

Posted Images

Michael Stenstrom

I am sure the black out will work fine, though not have quite the range at night or a regular ir. 

I had the new Cuddeback Black Flash set up yesterday and last night. Made sure I walked past with dogs at various distances. Good daytime shots and good distances. Same basic distances at night but the night photos are in a word horrendous compared to my IR cameras. I had read and understood the night time shots would be compromised due to the "invisible" Black Flash, but didn't expect them to be as bad as they are. I have been concerned about my IR cameras spooking deer at night so wanted to try the Black Flash. (I know, some people think a Red flash has no effect, others think it does.)

Might return it and trade for the same basic Model but the Longrange IR unit instead.

I have one. Return it. They suck at night. Blurry. The closer the object is to the camera the better the night shot. Long distance completely blurry.

The only reason I kept it was it takes the best daytime photos of my three cameras. (Moultrie, Stealth Cam) and I like it for turkey scouting.

Here is a Cuddeback night video of last years and 2014's seven point. He is coming out of his bedroom and smelled us. I will know him from the tumor on his leg.

Want a real nice one for the money? Especially for night time videos (Once you go video you will never go back to pictures)

Look into this one. My only con is slow trigger speed. Audio is very good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HMN7H04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I want to see this boy this year. I believe he was the eight from 2014. He was a beautiful ten last fall. Only got him once on camera. I don't think I am in his core.

This is the Moultie. The audio is terrible.

And here is the Stealth cam. You can here the seven grunting. Wait for it.

I'm done with Moultrie (I know they are good cameras) after the hassle of returning one this week because it wasn't compatible for viewing uploaded photos on iPad or IPhone. And that was not noted anywhere I could find. Still haven't heard back whether that plan to reimburse me the Priority mail return of $10. Turns out most all trail cam manufacturers don't completely support Mac OS. Even Cuddeback which has been around the longest caters to PC's for loading new Firmware to cameras. No directions or methodology for Macs on their website. Sorry, no excuse in this day and age not to build digital products that aren't completely compatible across platforms. At this point I don't trust any trail cameras but know I can upload and view photos on all my devices on a Cuddeback. 

Im gonna trade the BF for the Cuddeback Long Range IR. And am gonna try a new technique of placing the camera above head high and angle it down cover to trail of scrape etc. 

The way I use my cameras the Moultries do well for me. I rarely use video but there certainly are pluses for doing so. I just find videos not as convenient to send to acquaintances as pictures. I have three black out and two IR. I believe that the IR spooks deer. I have many pictures of deer being alerted to and staring at the IR  while I have never noticed that with the black out. Back when I used flash cameras I rarely noticed the deer reacting to them either (compared to the IR). The flash camera's seem to get detected and stolen more than the blackouts too. I guess I am willing to give up on night quality and remain more "stealthy".

There seems to be a wide range of cameras in both price and quality. I would really like the cameras that send the pictures to my phone.....but in the scheme of life I can't justify costs.

I was anxious so I drive to Bangor and made a clean exchange of the Black Flash for the Long Range IR at Dicks.

See night shot below. This is me at a slow walk at about 30 feet in front of camera with the Black Flash. Dismal. I have heard other makes of camera take better night photos with Black Out/Flash.

We'll see how the LR IR Cuddeback performs. (I also rarely use video mode, just still shots)

image.jpeg

I agree videos are harder to send to your buddies. I just download them to YouTube. You should also use a 32 KB card incase you get a lot of action.

I've seen deer spook with my cameras but like the seven above he was very interested. Got a young buck on video at camp this spring. The first time he had seen it. Thought he was going to lick the camera. Maybe he did?

It is the Moultrie. Turn down the sound. Anybody know how to clear up the audio on a Moultrie 880?

I have a lot of shots of deer looking at camera, even coming up and nosing it. I think they hear the shutter, which is about impossible to detect with human ear, at least my 58 year old ears. I don't get a lot of night shots so thought I'd try the Black Out type cam. Might get one later but not a Cuddeback and one I'm sure is compatible with my "iLife"...

I'm not sure if the deer hear the click/clunk of the camera shutter or if it is the IR pulse that they see but I have noticed quite a few "I'm out of here" reactions with deer and coyotes on the IR's. I don't see that reaction with the black outs.

Anyway, here are a few pictures to compare quality.

IR camera

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.14.59 PM.jpg

IR camera

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.15.20 PM.jpg

IR camera

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.15.35 PM.jpg

Black out

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.15.29 PM.jpg

IR camera

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 3.15.45 PM.jpg

I have one that I really like it is made by Eyecon it is different from all other cameras in that you can place the base on any branch and angle the head to where you want to to face the pictures both day and night are very good.  What I like is that I can set it where I want and not have to worry about the right tree.

Switched two cameras over to video mode today. I figure I can maybe take a screen shot if I wanted a still picture. I would have liked to have seen a short video of this interaction.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 11.08.21 AM.jpg

Around five years ago I bought four Bushnell cameras because they were nice and small and were one of the first small cameras available.  After a year or two, every one of them broke, the setup screen goes black and then that's it, no way to program it.  After that I got Cuddyback cameras and they have been working flawlessly for three years now.  This past fall I lost my keys at a NH pheasant stocking site.  I ended up leaving one of the cameras in the woods from the end of November through the end of May and the batteries were still half full when I finally got out there with bolt cutters.  Before the Bushnells I had Moultries and Wildview break.  It will take some real convincing for me to roll the dice on another brand now, nothing has even come close to the quality and reliability of the Cuddybacks.  

Good to hear MAArcher about the Cuddy's. Mine have all worked great for several years now. I am liking the new Long Range RI I just bought. (As mentioned I tried the Cuddy Black Flash but was disappointed enough in night shots to make an even trade at Dicks for the LR RI.) Test shots, night and day look good. So it will be set out soon.