• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• CzechSM

• Big Al

• MAArcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just started using a trail cam last year, caught this guy on "film", hopefully he's still around this year....pretty nice size for around here.    

Buck Ferguson is not camera shy. I have three cameras out spread out a good ways on 160 acres and he showed up on all three cameras. Some highlights:      

Posted Images

I__00007.JPG

100 yards from the house. Up close and personal.

Pulled this pic off 1 April.  He hasn't been back.  PS.  The camera has the wrong year on it.  Everything else is correct.. 

Screenshot (33).png

I__00003.JPG

Bald eagle on my coyote bait. (This is my cheapest cam and the photos show it)

Bald eagles are sorta like wild turkeys now. They are all over and not a huge thrill to see anymore. Still beautiful birds though.

Found a dead head a few weeks ago.  This hawk visited almost daily.  Thought this was a really cool pic of him coming in.

337.JPG

472.JPG

Got this pic the other day.  This bird is safe (at least from me).  I've taken 2 on the farm I hunt and the hen's need someone to hang with and do what hens do. 

Screenshot (132).png

• 2 months later...

Finally had a deer older than 1 1/2 years walk by the trail cam. 

• 3 weeks later...

Us8n2IW.jpg

K71g4T0.jpg

bVP3Skt.jpg

Weirdest rack I think I have ever seen. Note the drop tine by his eye. Off a new lease I am on in SE Ohio. I'm not one to name my deer but me and my nephew have decided to name this guy Buck Ferguson, If you have seen the movie Legacy Of A Whitetail Deer Hunter you will know why.

I was getting my eye exam last week and my eye doctor is a hunter. Good guy, we always share deer stories. Anyway we got on the subject of game cameras and he went off. You should never use them, they are unethical, they ruin hunting.......wow I didn't expect that. I just said well don't use one if you think it ruins your hunting experience. That's the first time I heard that point of view.

I have a few trail cams out now to assess deer movement. We have an early Expanded bow season that's starts September 15th in some areas. So it's time.

I__00008.JPG

I__00021.JPG

This camera is set across the street from my house in front of a tree stand, alongside one of the Beaver ponds in a pinch point. Lots of activity with this Yote, a load of does, and a couple smallish bucks. (The Bucks were night time shots and not that clear). This spot isn't in Expanded zone but I could bow hunt it in regular October Archery season. I'm heading in the direction of my Expanded bow spot today so will check a cam there.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:04 PM, gundogpa said:

I was getting my eye exam last week and my eye doctor is a hunter. Good guy, we always share deer stories. Anyway we got on the subject of game cameras and he went off. You should never use them, they are unethical, they ruin hunting.......wow I didn't expect that. I just said well don't use one if you think it ruins your hunting experience. That's the first time I heard that point of view.

I've heard that before.  Seems some people think it lets you time exactly where/when a deer is going to be, like they are robots.  I now really only run them to get wildlife photos, as they really ruined a couple seasons for me.  Got a couple pics of a big buck (for our area) and hunted him exclusively.  One/two of the most miserable seasons I have had, luckily I ended up running into my first lab as a rescue and my buddy got me bird hunting or I might have quit altogether.  Fortunately for me, and probably  my marriage, I recognized that this is supposed to be fun.

So I now shoot what makes me happy at the time and that makes for more time with the dog. 

Checking trail cameras and SD Cards is liken opening presents on Christmas morning. It's more a motivator to get your ass in a stand or in the woods than any sure fire tool to kill deer, at least in Maine. People who don't know that and think otherwise likely don't spend too much time in a stand or in the woods carrying a rifle, shotgun or bow. IMO

My Expanded bow zone cam soaked for a couple weeks, and was blank. This was pointing across a deer trail and towards a ladderstand where I have shot 7 Whitetails with a bow. Not worried in the least, a camera only has so much area it can cover. I moved the cam to another spot behind the treestand where I see a lot of deer movement while bowhunting. I've bleat and grunted in several deer from back there, and ate some of those.

The pre-season scouting/work/trail cam checking is just as much fun to me as the actual hunting. I will be making the 4 hr round trip to check my cams that have been soaking for two weeks, cut a little trail and scope out a couple other possible stand sites tomorrow or Friday. My excitement level is damn near opening day level.