• I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I also play golf
      I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I also play golf
    • I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays but I do not play golf
    • I do not shoot skeet and/or sporting clays but I do play golf
    • I do not shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I do not play golf

I came to my adversion of golf honestly, in fact the last time I played 10-12 years ago, I lost 24 balls in 18 holes.  It was a beautiful day, no wind plenty of sunshine and luckily enough I was with my wife's uncle, who is deaf.  It occured to me after I hit my second house that this was most definitely not my game and that I spoiled a perfectly fine day fishing, by playing golf.  

As some of you know, I'm not much better with a shotgun than a golf club.  At least I don't have to find the shell after every shot, just grab another one.  Oh no, I shoot the same as I golf!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuess

• Chris Raymond

• Gunflint Charlie

• Brad Eden

X2.  When I was growing up, golf was something the "rich English" did -

You and I aren't too far from the same age and I grew up thinking of golf as a rich man's game too. That said, I can golf for much less money today than I can shoot clays.

For me to ride on a weekend, golfing costs $32 for 18 holes at my "home" course, and I'm likely to lose $5 worth of balls for a total of about $37. I can cut that number to $27 if I chose to walk the golf course.

A 100 shot round of sporting clays (the equivalent of 18 holes of golf) costs me $40 for the shooting, around $25 for the shells for a total of about $65. More that twice the amount it costs to walk golf.

I'll admit that I usually prefer to shoot SC than golf so I mix them up and do both. Golf is something my wife does with me and often we go with another couple. I also golf with co-workers and business associates. I cash in the credit I get for golfing with my wife for more hunting days in the fall and winter, which seems like a win-win to me!

You want to get ahead in the transportation industry?

Learn to golf.

I love golf. And shooting. To pick one? Golf.

I'm not good at either but I sure like riding around in the carts.

Learn to golf.

I think this is true of any industry. I can remember being at business meetings and before an actually meeting began, the attendees talked golf. My company also sent teams to participate in charity golf games...nice perk if one played. I suspect that a lot of business is discussed on the golf course; far more than is discussed on a shooting range. But since I don't play golf can't say for sure.

Steelheadfred

Learn to golf.

I love golf. And shooting. To pick one? Golf.

I'm not good at either but I sure like riding around in the carts.

I find this pretty accurate, I never believed business got done on the golf course till I matured.

I played a lot golf as a kid at a pretty high level. I quit and hated the game my freshman year of college. When I started my own business at the encouragement of one of my partners, I took the game up again. I now play with many of my owners and partners every year, one owner was pretty skeptical in the board room, I've played golf with him now a couple times, and his position has changed from "no more hotel investments" to being "all in" on the project I have going now, the biggest project our group has done. I credit golf for this. It's not that deals get done on the golf course, its that relationships are built and strengthened.

Also, my companies sponsor and staff a lot of golf holes at outings, outings typically have lots of successful businesses participating and for $100.00 bucks for a hole plus some goodies and hours for my two best looking girls. That exposure is huge and has more than paid for itself ten fold.

I have clubs.  I used to golf.  I've golfed maybe 5 times in the last 10+ years, so I chose "I don't golf".  Skeet and SC out the wazoo though.

Learn to golf.

I think this is true of any industry. I can remember being at business meetings and before an actually meeting began, the attendees talked golf. My company also sent teams to participate in charity golf games...nice perk if one played. I suspect that a lot of business is discussed on the golf course; far more than is discussed on a shooting range. But since I don't play golf can't say for sure.

This explains why I am a piss poor businessman.

I used to play a little golf when I was a kid but quit after hitting a hole in one on a par three. I was fifteen and recognized that I had a lot of diverse interests so figured I'd quit golf while I was on top and stop diluting my time. True story.

As far as golf and shotgun games go, I'm pretty sure the two could be combined into a whole new sport.

I think golf benefits my wingshooting more than a few casual rounds of clay targets does.
I play more than my fair share of golf throughout the spring and summer.  I also shoot skeet and SC every tuesday and sometimes on Sunday.  Of the three I much prefer golf, the game has a tradition all it's own and is very challenging.  Frankly, I find repetitive clays shooting boring but I do it in preparation for hunting.
Chris Raymond
I think golf benefits my wingshooting more than a few casual rounds of clay targets does.

You're not shooting clays correctly then.  Just saying.  ;-)

Mike Connally
One of my favorite golf cartoons shows two old fat guys with beers balanced on their bellies.  One of the guys says "Golf is a sport. Therefore we are athletes". I feel the same way about skeet.

Some say I play alot of golf.  Might be true.

Some say I shoot alot.  Might be true.

Definately like golf more than shooting!

Reason-  You can drink when you play golf! :D  

But I am dam glad I do both!

I voted skeet/sporting clays and no golf.

I used to play a lot of golf. Played in high school. I also worked for a Japaneese company which means you play golf if you want to get anything done. It is all about building relationships and golf was important in doing that.

I do not play golf anymore. Haven't played in about 8 years and really do not miss it. I do shoot skeet and sporting clays though. I have two groups of people that I shoot with. I absolutely love the shooting sports much more then I ever did golf. Come spring and summer I usually shoot about 3 times a week.

I love shooting and have met some good friends through the sport. I will shoot until the day I die :-)

Olaf