• I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I also play golf
      I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I also play golf
    • I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays but I do not play golf
    • I do not shoot skeet and/or sporting clays but I do play golf
    • I do not shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I do not play golf

I didn't pick up a golf club until I took a wholesaling job 10 years ago.  After I started playing I found it addicting just like shooting is to me.  A caddie said to me one day that if you play a round of golf with a man you will see who he really is before the round is over.  Truer words were never spoken.  I would still prefer to shoot clays but golf is a great pastime .
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuess

• Chris Raymond

• Gunflint Charlie

• Brad Eden

I didn't pick up a golf club until I took a wholesaling job 10 years ago.  After I started playing I found it addicting just like shooting is to me.  A caddie said to me one day that if you play a round of golf with a man you will see who he really is before the round is over.  Truer words were never spoken.  I would still prefer to shoot clays but golf is a great pastime .

Golf does not build character, it reveals it!

Fin2Feather
Golf is a lot of fun if you play it for that reason.  Like any recreational activity (shooting included), when you take it too seriously, it (and you) becomes a PITA.  I started out with the former, moved to the "too seriously" level.  I'm back to the "for fun" level and love it.
Chris Raymond

I find that hard to believe in actuality...it makes for a good line though.  ;-)

Gunflint Charlie

I find that hard to believe in actuality...it makes for a good line though.  ;-)

What, hard to believe that it doesn't build character? :)

Golf really does show a lot about who you are. It is very hard to play well, so easy to look inept and feel foolish trying. Emotional temperament absolutely is revealed. Oversized egos are undermined on the golf course, and tempted by subtle opportunities to cheat (just a little, unfair bad luck, stupid rule anyway) when probably no one will notice. When you referee your own game, how you make the calls is telling.

Jay

I voted yes for golf and no for sporting clays.  Although I go to the range on occasion, I only do it for hunting practice and not for fun or competition, so I count that as a no.  As much as I love hunting, shooting at pieces of clay gets boring after a while.  Golf is far more challenging.

I'm morally opposed to golf.  :devil:

Hooray!! Me too, most boring event ever. I would 100x rather watch the Shrove Tuesday Pancake races.

Entertain clients or prospects and you will understand.

Play in any competition and you will understand.

If golf is merely a day out in sunshine, then I agree with you point.

Golf, like hunting, or dogs, or anything else, there are so many things to take away, there is something for everyone.

Chris Raymond

Golf, like hunting, or dogs, or anything else, there are so many things to take away, there is something for everyone.

Fuess--Why do you assume that I don't entertain clients or play or have played competitive sports?  And for what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily classify golf as a sport...I know, that's really going to go over well.  ;-)  

What I'm saying is that unless you spend a fair amount of time with somebody over the course of many different situations, I wouldn't trust that any single activity is any more revealing of a person's true character than anything else.  Obviously some people are exceptions but this has more to do with them than the activity in my opinion.  Until a relationship has gotten past the basic client and provider/vendor/etc. basis and friendship has developed, what you see is more than likely what they want you to see.  Again, I will admit that some individuals exhibit more readily than others but this has been the exception vs. the case in my opinion.

I golfed for 15 years and took lessons, golfed in tournaments, RAN a few very very big money making tournaments, entertained people..the whole nine yards.  Then I looked at shooting, biking, photography, fly fishing, hunting, playing soccer, driving my car at Watkins Glen and I just one day realized what a monumental waste of time chasing a little white ball was when I could be doing things instead of waiting for some moron and his crew to tee off who discussed their business out loud as if I gave a rat's ass.  I gave it up in 2006 or so and never looked back and never missed it.  I respect the difficulty of it.  However, I have never seen a more pompous lot of people as I've seen at some golf courses. Sorry, you asked..that's just what I've experienced.
Gunflint Charlie

I golfed for 15 years and took lessons, golfed in tournaments, RAN a few very very big money making tournaments, entertained people..the whole nine yards. ... I have never seen a more pompous lot of people as I've seen at some golf courses. Sorry, you asked..that's just what I've experienced.

Seek and you shall find?

Fuess--Why do you assume that I don't entertain clients or play or have played competitive sports?  And for what it's worth, I wouldn't necessarily classify golf as a sport...I know, that's really going to go over well.  ;-)  

What I'm saying is that unless you spend a fair amount of time with somebody over the course of many different situations, I wouldn't trust that any single activity is any more revealing of a person's true character than anything else.  Obviously some people are exceptions but this has more to do with them than the activity in my opinion.  Until a relationship has gotten past the basic client and provider/vendor/etc. basis and friendship has developed, what you see is more than likely what they want you to see.  Again, I will admit that some individuals exhibit more readily than others but this has been the exception vs. the case in my opinion.

My apologies.

My observations have been different.  Golf, as you know, is the only sport where you "self report" ad responsible for enforcing rules on yourself.

My point, watch closely how many people move the ball in the ruff, turn the ball over in the fairway.......

While a small point (most say wtf, whats it matter, its about fun) I view it differently.

In addition, i enjoy playing for a fair amount of money.  Watch how people either rise to the occassion, or fold under pressure.

Can you make the 3 foot putt for 500 or 100 or 50??

Does one bad shot effect the rest of the round?

Does one gloat after a victory?  Pout after a loss?

Winning  is great, losing with dignity is class!

Just my observations, FWIW!

One last point.

Should we discuss the issue of Handicaps?

There is the the "padder", who has a little fluff in his cap and never loses.  (blatant cheater)

And there is the cocktail handicap (the 9 who is really a 14), but it sounds great to say you are a single digit.  Then, when on the course, "dam, I am just having a bad day".  I usually shoot 81, have not shot 90 in years.

So I will still stick by my intial claim, but will modify it.

Golf not only builds character, it reveals it!

Fuess--Why do you assume that I don't entertain clients or play or have played competitive sports?  

This

1779040_10201675975045834_373803736_n.jp

though you might have "clients" and "entertain" them

Gunflint Charlie

There's playing purely for fun, where adherence to rules doesn't matter, and then there's playing competitively, where it does. With friends playing casually, improving a lie to speed play and avoid frustration is just fine. It's different if you're posting scores for an official handicap that can affect results if you play in competition.

My group plays for pretty low stakes and we have a ball. From about 20 weekend regulars we'll get 3 or 4 foursomes for team competition with winnings/losses capped at $20 per man. Up to 5 points per hole can be won, competitive but always fun -- on the course and for the 19th hole score tallying. Some individual side games played too. Broad mix of guys occupationally, ranging from a union machinist to a big company finance VP. Quite a few retired guys.

People play golf for varied reasons. Obviously I love playing, and enjoy people brought together by love of the game. Never have met anyone without flaws -- some I choose not to play with -- and appreciate those willing to overlook mine.

Jay