I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I also play golf
    • I shoot skeet and/or sporting clays but I do not play golf
    • I do not shoot skeet and/or sporting clays but I do play golf
    • I do not shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and I do not play golf

Chris Raymond
Fuess--Why do you assume that I don't entertain clients or play or have played competitive sports?  

This

1779040_10201675975045834_373803736_n.jp

though you might have "clients" and "entertain" them

Not hardly.  ;-)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuess

• Chris Raymond

• Gunflint Charlie

• Brad Eden

Fin2Feather

I golfed for 15 years and took lessons, golfed in tournaments, RAN a few very very big money making tournaments, entertained people..the whole nine yards.  Then I looked at shooting, biking, photography, fly fishing, hunting, playing soccer, driving my car at Watkins Glen and I just one day realized what a monumental waste of time chasing a little white ball was when I could be doing things instead of waiting for some moron and his crew to tee off who discussed their business out loud as if I gave a rat's ass.  I gave it up in 2006 or so and never looked back and never missed it.  I respect the difficulty of it.  However, I have never seen a more pompous lot of people as I've seen at some golf courses. Sorry, you asked..that's just what I've experienced.

No offense intended, but some folks think some of those activities are just as time-wasting as golf.  And having done a few of them myself, I've found there are pompous people in every activity.

Chris Raymond
denile... not just a river in egypt ....  :D

What can I say...you've found out my secret...I hate tea and coffee.  ;-)

denile... not just a river in egypt ....  :D

What can I say...you've found out my secret...I hate tea and coffee.  ;-)

THought it was a national park in Alaska

I golfed for 15 years and took lessons, golfed in tournaments, RAN a few very very big money making tournaments, entertained people..the whole nine yards.  Then I looked at shooting, biking, photography, fly fishing, hunting, playing soccer, driving my car at Watkins Glen and I just one day realized what a monumental waste of time chasing a little white ball was when I could be doing things instead of waiting for some moron and his crew to tee off who discussed their business out loud as if I gave a rat's ass.  I gave it up in 2006 or so and never looked back and never missed it.  I respect the difficulty of it.  However, I have never seen a more pompous lot of people as I've seen at some golf courses. Sorry, you asked..that's just what I've experienced.

No offense intended, but some folks think some of those activities are just as time-wasting as golf.  And having done a few of them myself, I've found there are pompous people in every activity.

Truer words never spoken.   Golf may be at the forfront, specifically country clubs, but any club affiliation I know of has stereotypes, and its a shame.  For the most part, i think its a cheap shot.

Met a lot of people in a lot of "clubs" who are just normal folks.

May not like their hobby of choice, but still good folks.

I do not play any sport or participate in any activity that does not make me perspire from the effort or elevate my pulse rate to 150 +. Interpret this however you may wish.
I do not play any sport or participate in any activity that does not make me perspire from the effort or elevate my pulse rate to 150 +. Interpret this however you may wish.

Interesting statement.

However, the challenge of golf, which is uniques to golf.  The player initiates the entire thing.  In every other sport, the player reacts to an action.  In golf, the player initiates the action.

The is what makes it so hard.

]Want a pulse rate at 150, stand on the 18th tee with a chance to win club shampionsip or the "prize" (whatever it mite be), and see where your heart rate is.

The game is misunderstood and underated

In every other sport, the player reacts to an action.  In golf, the player initiates the action.

You ever hear of the serve in tennis?

The player initiates the entire thing.  In every other sport, the player reacts to an action.  In golf, the player initiates the action.

This is what makes golf so hard

What?!!!!!!!!

You are limited in your experience, perspective and understanding of many sports if you are serious about this comment.

Olaf

In every other sport, the player reacts to an action.  In golf, the player initiates the action.

You ever hear of the serve in tennis?

is the ball in a static position on the serve?

So if i concede the serve, every other stroke in tennis is a ?????

The player initiates the entire thing.  In every other sport, the player reacts to an action.  In golf, the player initiates the action.

This is what makes golf so hard

What?!!!!!!!!

You are limited in your experience, perspective and understanding of many sports if you are serious about this comment.

Olaf

ok.  since I am a Dumbarse, enlighten me

Fuess, the sweat exuded by playing golf as illustrated in your description of the tee-off comes mainly from mental stress and anxiety, or hot weather,  especially if there is a prize or reputation involved. Your argument needs to be reworked.

As someone who has played a lot of both golf and tennis I would say the following about the benefits of those two games.

Tennis will without doubt increase your physical stamina and cardiovascular health.  If played vigorously it is great exercise.

Golf can also offer some physical benefits if you walk the course and carry your bag while playing.  The true benefit of golf is it's ability to strengthen your mental toughness and level of concentration.

Both essential to good play.