2014 Maine Moose Hunt

2014 ME Moose Hunt lottery applications are now available online on the MEIF&W website. 4085 tags strewn all over the state for hunts in Sept, Oct and Nov. Online apps must be done by May 14th. Drawing is in June.

mooselying.jpg

I hope to draw a tag and go after another, like this bull from 2007. Took me 20 years to get drawn and I thought I had had my fill. But as a participant in several moose hunts since, I am hankering to hunt them again with bow or rifle. Having a bull moose grunt his way into estrus cow calls is a thrill like no other. Plus they taste damn good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• drummer's stump

• polecat

Is there a list of zones by success rate in descending order anywhere?  The most irritating thing about the application process is you have to rank 30 zones.

If anyone needs it. Area#, #permits, #kills % success

5 *WMD Subtotals 175 148 85%

1 *WMD Subtotals 600 489 82%

6 *WMD Subtotals 150 123 82%

28 WMD        Subtotals 20 16 80%

2 *WMD Subtotals 800 630 79%

9 *WMD Subtotals 75 59 79%

3 *WMD Subtotals 500 388 78%

8 *WMD Subtotals 250 185 74%

4 *WMD Subtotals 800 576 72%

7 *WMD Subtotals 140 101 72%

11 *WMD Subtotals 50 36 72%

14 WMD        Subtotals 35 22 63%

12 *WMD Subtotals 55 32 58%

17 WMD   Subtotals 20 11 55%

19 *WMD Subtotals 150 77 51%

13 *WMD Subtotals 45 22 49%

10 *WMD Subtotals 60 24 40%

18 *WMD Subtotals 40 13 33%

27 WMD Subtotals 15 5 33%

15 WMD        Subtotals 25 6 24%

25 WMD Subtotals 25 6 24%

16 WMD Subtotals 20 4 20%

23 WMD Subtotals 25 4 16%

26 WMD Subtotals 25 1 4%

22 WMD Subtotals 10 0 0%

As a resident I list my preferred zones more for convenience and access to a particular area than kill success rate. The zone I pick first is in a zone where I killed my bull in 2007 and where a good buddy has a camp to hunt out of.Then the zone where my camp is and then north and west. My first few zone choices are within an hour or a couple/few hours of where I live. I also don't choose to accept a cow permit, no interest if I/we cant call a bull in. And I check off only for the late Sept/Oct hunt. No interest in the November hunt.

A moose hunt can get very expensive with pre scouting/gas, lodging, guides if wanted, food for the entourage, and processing especially for a non-resident lucky enough to draw a tag.

I used to go for convenience to.  But I've been applying for I don't know how many years with no luck.  If I get drawn I want to be in the highest success rate available.  I'll figure out how to pay for it later.

I'm second guessing opting for a cow permit if available.  But I'd be one of the few people with a cow mount on the wall, she could join my doe and they can both wait for the right boys to go up next to them.

I also got a block of changes this year.  I'd really like to get drawn while there's still a chance I can get an animal out of the woods without having a heart attach.

... I'd really like to get drawn while there's still a chance I can get an animal out of the woods without having a heart attach.

moosetruckdrag.jpg

moosetrailertruck.jpg

Try and drop him close to a logging road if you want to bring him out whole and a chainsaw winch and trailer comes in handy.

drummer's stump
Man up and pack it out! There are a lot of moose, that are wasted because people do not know how to care for their meet. Actually the number of animals wasted is sicking.

Man up and pack it out! There are a lot of moose, that are wasted because people do not know how to care for their meet. Actually the number of animals wasted is sicking.

moosehanging.jpg

No need if one is prepared and a moose is accessible. My moose came out whole and all meat processed and consumed because I was prepared with frozen plastic jugs (see those in photo, we filled the cavity with them), trailer, winche, butcher pre scheduled etc. Most I know do the same thing. Certainly I agree, some moose meat is lost due to hunters being unprepared during the early seasons when the weather can be very warm but don't believe wanton waste is as egregious as you expressed.

I'll get my annual 10 chances and I think I have 8 points too.  You never know; I got drawn after only 4 years.  Of course back then you could only get 10 chances plus points.  Now you can buy as many as you want.

Still, you never know!

is_00202.jpg

I helped on a moose kill when I was stationed in Alaska. When I draw a tag I'll get a guide & be sure he has access to a skidder.
I saw a video of a home made trailer type contraption for an ATV.  It was basically just a steel upside down "U" with balloon wheels on the legs.  You back it over the moose, winch the front half a couple feet off the ground (winch went through a pulley hanging from the top of the "U") and off you go.  Seemed to work great.
It is interesting how easterners seem to prefer to finagle their big game out whole while westerners routinely quarter up game. Maybe its because even the biggest eastern Buck can usually be dragged for miles, especially on snow by one hunter, but  on bare ground its best for two to get one from miles out, been there done both. And with Maine moose, so few permits are available and so few moose killed quartering hasn't taken hold, unlike for Elk out west and moose in Alaska etc. I suppose.
northern_hunting_mom

Perhaps the size of the animal when a western vs eastern moose are compared... Yes, the rarity of being able to get a moose in the east means that the excitement of getting drawn often has the hunter paying for ways to get it out whole.

Another consideration is just how far the nearest road is. Logging roads around in a place where ATVs are allowed can make getting an animal out whole a lot easier. Terrain etc has some to do with it.

As for my last moose I dropped here in Alberta, I was further away from any road than when hunting in BC or the Yukon. Population density in the Yukon means there are a lot more huntable moose near roads. I had to quarter my moose last fall so 2 women could drag out half the moose. I picked up a friend of mine to help us drag out the other half when it was near dark.

It is interesting how easterners seem to prefer to finagle their big game out whole while westerners routinely quarter up game. Maybe its because even the biggest eastern Buck can usually be dragged for miles, especially on snow by one hunter, but  on bare ground its best for two to get one from miles out, been there done both. And with Maine moose, so few permits are available and so few moose killed quartering hasn't taken hold, unlike for Elk out west and moose in Alaska etc. I suppose.

Isn't it illegal to quarter a deer in Maine before it's registered?  If not now I'm pretty sure it once was.