2014 Maine Moose Hunt

It is interesting how easterners seem to prefer to finagle their big game out whole while westerners routinely quarter up game. Maybe its because even the biggest eastern Buck can usually be dragged for miles, especially on snow by one hunter, but  on bare ground its best for two to get one from miles out, been there done both. And with Maine moose, so few permits are available and so few moose killed quartering hasn't taken hold, unlike for Elk out west and moose in Alaska etc. I suppose.

Isn't it illegal to quarter a deer in Maine before it's registered?  If not now I'm pretty sure it once was.

From MEIF&W Moose Hunting Guidleines:

MOOSE TRANSPORTATION TO REGISTRATION STATION: The entire animal including all edible meat except the viscera, lower legs, rib cage, head, and hide must be presented for registration. The animal may be dismembered for ease of transportation. Please consider quartering your moose. To prevent spoilage of meat it is absolutely critical to cool down the carcass as quickly as possible. Also, it is much easier to cut the moose into several pieces to bring edible meat out of the woods, but leave the viscera, lower legs, rib cage, head, and hide in the woods. Evidence of gender must remain attached to at least one part of a dressed animal if it is dismembered and transported in several pieces.

Interesting that they suggest quartering to save from spoilage. I don't know if quartering up moose was at one time illegal in Maine.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• drummer's stump

• polecat

It is interesting how easterners seem to prefer to finagle their big game out whole while westerners routinely quarter up game. Maybe its because even the biggest eastern Buck can usually be dragged for miles, especially on snow by one hunter, but  on bare ground its best for two to get one from miles out, been there done both. And with Maine moose, so few permits are available and so few moose killed quartering hasn't taken hold, unlike for Elk out west and moose in Alaska etc. I suppose.

Isn't it illegal to quarter a deer in Maine before it's registered?  If not now I'm pretty sure it once was.

From MEIF&W Moose Hunting Guidleines:

MOOSE TRANSPORTATION TO REGISTRATION STATION: The entire animal including all edible meat except the viscera, lower legs, rib cage, head, and hide must be presented for registration. The animal may be dismembered for ease of transportation. Please consider quartering your moose. To prevent spoilage of meat it is absolutely critical to cool down the carcass as quickly as possible. Also, it is much easier to cut the moose into several pieces to bring edible meat out of the woods, but leave the viscera, lower legs, rib cage, head, and hide in the woods. Evidence of gender must remain attached to at least one part of a dressed animal if it is dismembered and transported in several pieces.

Interesting that they suggest quartering to save from spoilage. I don't know if quartering up moose was at one time illegal in Maine.

It was deer I was referring too, I wasn't sure about moose.

From the state website:

Condition of animal presented for registration. A person may not present a bear, deer, moose or Wild Turkey for registration unless it is presented in its entirety, except that the viscera and rib cage of the animal may be removed in a manner that still allows the determination of the sex of the animal; and a moose may be dismembered for ease of transportation, and the lower legs, head and hide of a moose may be removed. If the head of the moose is not brought to the registration station, a canine tooth or the lower jaw must be presented at the time of registration. Parts of a moose not presented for registration may not be placed where they are visible to a person traveling on a public or private way.

Since it specifically says moose may be dismembered, does that mean deer can't?  For some reason I recall being told, either by my father or whoever was teaching me the hunters safety course back around 1985, that you couldn't quarter a deer.  I don't know if that was just a misinterpretation of the regs or not.

I bought my 10 chances this morning.  It turns out I had 11 points and that gives me 21 chances for another Bull.  

Fingers crossed!

How do you find out how many points you have?

Good luck!

How do you find out how many points you have?

Good luck!

I can see how many points I've accumulated when I apply for a moose permit online. Not sure how else to do it. I think you automatically get 1 point a year as long as you keep applying so I have 5 or so since I drew in 2007 and then had to wait a couple years to apply again. I never buy extra points, Im too cheap, sorta like Lars.

• 4 weeks later...
Bradford - What you're thoughts on this?  It seems to me that they just stole tags away from the DIY hunters.

http://georgesoutdoornews.bangordailynews.com/2014....is-year

I heard about that. Maine also has a Moose Auction for 10 permits with proceeds that go to youth outdoor education. This lodge lottery doesn't seem to be very well thought out. Granted it is supposed to generate income to sporting camps/ lodges, but the lodges that draws a permit can sell the permit to a hunter for whatever price they want. Just another example of whoever has the most money gets to hunt moose. I think that older hunters who have been applying their whole lives who have never drawn should be first in line rather than auctioning or establishing special lotteries for sporting outfitters.

The lottery for the sporting camps permits will cost the lodge owner $1500. Also the hiring of a guide is mandatory so that could bring the price up to what the auction prices have been going for lately. I was drawn in 1996 and have yet to be drawn again. I also apply for the early season broccoli field damage permits but have not been successful obtaining one of those permits.

I drew a tag in 2010 after 20 straight years of applying.  I checked off that I would take an anterless tag.  That's what I got.  I stayed and hunted with a friend that has a camp about 20 miles from our lake camp.

Dropping her on a big logging trail worked out great.  We were able to pull her out with a Polaris Ranger after field dressing down the trail to a flat bed trailer.

We wondered why she was the toughest thing we've ever eaten.  They finally posted her age on the web site the following summer:  8.5 years old.  Thankfully we owned a pressure cooker!  She made for great sausage though!

Brad Eden

ME has reduced the amount of permits to be drawn due to winter ticks. From the Press Release below it appears they only reduced the anterless or cow permits. I dont apply for cow permits but this will likely reduce the odds for everyone since many apply for bull and cow in all seasons: Sept, Oct, Nov.

Press Release

May 9, 2014

IFW Reduces Number Of Moose Permits Available

For Immediate Release: May 9, 2014

AUGUSTA, Maine -- Due to a peak year for winter ticks and their impact on the moose population this winter, the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is reducing the number of moose permits available to hunters this fall.

Earlier today, The IFW’s advisory council accepted the department’s recommendation to reduce the number of moose permits available for the 2014 season. This fall, the department will issue 3,095 permits statewide, down from the 4,110 that were available last year.

“Based upon the research of our biologists, I feel it is prudent to decrease the number of female moose permits available,” said IFW Commissioner Chandler Woodcock. “Decreasing the amount of permits will help lessen the impact of winter tick on the state’s moose population.”

In particular, the department decreased the number of antlerless only permits that are available to hunters. Antlerless only permits were decreased in wildlife management Districts 1-5, 7-9 and 12-13. This is the northern and northwestern part of Maine, including the northern portions of Oxford, Franklin, Somerset, Piscataquis, Penobscot and Aroostook Counties.

Winter ticks have been documented in Maine since the 1930s. Periodically, there are peak years when the number of ticks increase substantially.

Each year, IFW biologists sample moose for winter tick densities at moose registration stations during the moose hunt. This past fall, biologists noted one of the highest tick counts in the past 10 years.

In making the recommendation to reduce permits, IFW biologists also used data from the radio collar moose study that is ongoing. Early data from the study shows that there was about a 30 percent mortality rate for adult females, which is above the average 10 percent winter mortality rate for female moose.

IFW wildlife biologists have also documented a number of moose winter kills throughout the state. Many of the moose carcasses are engorged with winter ticks, and some are practically bare of hair as they have tried to rub the ticks off.

“Maine has had winter tick for decades, and Maine’s moose population has encountered peak tick years before, as they happen periodically,” said IFW moose biologist Lee Kantar. “Even with the increase in ticks this year, by decreasing the number of antlerless permits available, we can continue to meet our population objectives for moose.”

• 1 month later...
Permit Drawing is tomorrow Sat 6/14. Results should be posted in afternoon on MEIF&W website. I really want to hunt Moose again, maybe bow or the Mauser 98 .270 I bought from a friend.
No luck here. My friend, the guide who called in my 2007 bull drew a sept bull tag in my camps zone so I will likely get to scout and attend a hunt for a day or two. Checked other UJers who posted here and I think applied and Hayslope, Paul S, MAArcher, RI and Mike Stenstrom and Atticus didn't draw a tag. But I think Polecat got a non-resident bull tag for Oct week way up in zone 2.
drummer's stump
I didn't get one. Congrats to polecat, wonder if he knows anyone in unit 2.