Hockey

Is Don Cherry actually rooting for the French Canadian Habs given it's the only home team in the mix?  Maybe break down and sport a garish blue and gold fleur de lis sportcoat on the Coaches Corner!

Curious as to how Cherry's "legacy" is regarded in Bruin fan circles?  Riding Bobby Orr's coattails, truly a great coach, or just a legend in his own mind?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• Dogwood

• Yukon1

• Big Al

As I see it, the teams to beat are: Sharks, Blues, Colorado, Habs, Boston.

Boston will NOT get by the Habs in rd 2. Mtl. owned them for over 2 years, Rask is 3 for 11 (??) against them. But for sheer entertainment value, this is playoff hockey. Bos vs Mtl. How sweet is that?

The Sharks would scare anyone who thinks they have a future in winning against them. They are scary, scary, scary. Big, tough, skilled and well coached.

If there is any team that can match the Sharks for toughness and quality, the Blues is it. Any team with Hitchcock as a coach always has a chance.

Patrick Roy, the Avalanche, speed, great goaltending,, etc..

And, NATHAN (18 year old superstar) MCKINNON. If any team aspires to win the Cup, it better do it this year because young Nathan will hog it for a few years. He is probably ahead of the Crosby curve at this age. They are both from a small town in Nova Scotia. Must be the water.

Sharks, gone. Blues, gone. Colorado, gone.  Your western conference bracket is blown up.  The winner of the Hawks vs Wild series goes to the cup.

Pub Scout

Wow-Kings comeback.  Domination.  

And scheduling note: The Canadiens games vs the Bruins will all be broadcast on the History Channel since Habs fans all live in the past. :p

I do have a prediction of scores for the Montreal Diving team

Emelin a 8.7

Gallagher a 9.8

Subban a 10

Trappercase
And scheduling note: The Canadiens games vs the Bruins will all be broadcast on the History Channel since Habs fans all live in the past. :p

Freaking awesome!  I'm using that.

MN Tonester

Wild and Avs - nothing like lots of one goal and OT games, although the Wild got cheated on the empty net shot two games back - maybe payback for Cook's shenanigans.

I like the Blackhawks - as long as they aren't playing against the Wild.  Hope the Wild turn out to be the Cinderella team of the playoffs.  They're certainly making a strong bid for it

I hear that Dryden is going to be in goal tonight...

Sharks, gone. Blues, gone. Colorado, gone.  Your western conference bracket is blown up.  The winner of the Hawks vs Wild series goes to the cup.

Dogwood, that bigoted a*hole Cherry was never any good as a coach. The measure of a coach is how well he does with a poor team and while he won Coach of the Year with a loaded Boston team, he got run out of town with the Colorado Rockies. He's very good at placing blame though. (Another Coach of The Year was Jacques Demers and he single handedly revived "The Detroit Dead Things" of the late 80's). Now there was a great coach.

One thing I love about Cherry is that he hates the Habs and has nightmares about Scotty Bowman. I don't ever want him to be a fan of The Habs...not worthy.

So much for predictions :blush: . I gotta get some more gypsy lessons.

OTOH, does anyone feel any real sympathy for Jumbo Joe Thornton of the Sharks?

[,May 01 2014,9:48]Sharks, gone. Blues, gone. Colorado, gone.  Your western conference bracket is blown up.  The winner of the Hawks vs Wild series goes to the cup.

Dogwood, that bigoted a*hole Cherry was never any good as a coach. The measure of a coach is how well he does with a poor team and while he won Coach of the Year with a loaded Boston team, he got run out of town with the Colorado Rockies. He's very good at placing blame though. (Another Coach of The Year was Jacques Demers and he single handedly revived "The Detroit Dead Things" of the late 80's). Now there was a great coach.

One thing I love about Cherry is that he hates the Habs and has nightmares about Scotty Bowman. I don't ever want him to be a fan of The Habs...not worthy.

So much for predictions :blush: . I gotta get some more gypsy lessons.

OTOH, does anyone feel any real sympathy for Jumbo Joe Thornton of the Sharks?

Sorry I effed up the previous message, I don't want to attribute any of my words to anyone else.

Well you were right about this kid "NATHAN (18 year old superstar) MCKINNON". It will be fun to see how good he gets.
Well Ben that's why I've always referred to Grapes as the Archie Bunker of hockey.  Problem is he's not acting.  Seems only players of British isles descent are worthy of his praise and respect.  All others are lower class animals. Kinda surprised CBC puts up with his bombast; guess that sells everywhere even given Canada's eclectic cultural population.  Still I find him amusing in a loutish-court-jester-brain-stem-only sort of way.
Trappercase
Well Ben that's why I've always referred to Grapes as the Archie Bunker of hockey.  Problem is he's not acting.  Seems only players of British isles descent are worthy of his praise and respect.  All others are lower class animals. Kinda surprised CBC puts up with his bombast; guess that sells everywhere even given Canada's eclectic cultural population.  Still I find him amusing in a loutish-court-jester-brain-stem-only sort of way.

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that developmental hockey on different continents would produce different styles of play and players, regardless of ethnicity, and I don't think it is bigoted  to prefer one style over the other.  Not saying that Grapes hasn't had his share of politically incorrect blunders, but who doesn't? Even his sidekick Ron McLean, last week, said the NHL shouldn't employ french Canadian Referees in Montreal due to a perceived bias.

Kevin, my friend, let's just call a bigot a racist and leave it at that. There is no way that I can feel good about us (taxpayers) are paying him - even in a miniscule way.
Well clearly the Bruins-Habs is gonna be a great dogfight.  Would ultimately love to see the Habs-Wild in the finals.  Nothing against Boston so much as I'm a bit weary from all their sports team's success/exposure.  Plus MN is such a great hockey state!

Love it

Gunflint Charlie

Well clearly the Bruins-Habs is gonna be a great dogfight.  Would ultimately love to see the Habs-Wild in the finals.  Nothing against Boston so much as I'm a bit weary from all their sports team's success/exposure.  Plus MN is such a great hockey state!

Hockey fans in MN even understand what offside looks like.

Jay