Best Chukar Pointing Dog (looking for suggestions)

WYOGriffMAN

Hello all,

Getting really into chukar hunting (gonna drop down into Utah some) and I will be adding a dog next year so I am starting to look around.(might be interested in a started dog this year if anyone has suggestions). I have one young griffon and he has shown real promise, he just might not have the range I am truly looking for with the country I will be hunting. He does well working close for pheasants, but he really was not breed to range out which is not his fault. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a breed that really excels on chukar and huns in big open country. I am really considering a setter, GWP or GSP, even a brittany. Any opinions and suggestions based on experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WYOGriffMAN

• ThreeDogs

• lee root

• kadehippy

This ought to be interesting.  :glare:

For real right!

I am a pretty solid English pointer guy. That being said you can't go wrong with any of the breeds you listed. I prefer a short haird dog for three reasons one the coat is easier to maintain they stay cooler and snow doesn't ball up between their toes in the winter snow.

I would pm elk hunter or Thom Gordon they hunt some darned fine german dogs and elk hunter just had a litter of pups. German dogs both wire hair and short hair dogs are not my first preference BUT they are chukar's worst nightmare! Tough hard hunting natural retrievers and almost always darned smart, and they tend to have very tough feet.

I hunt chukars. I have had labs, brits, a CBR, springers, but now that I have gravitated towards DD's, I will never have another breed.

This is Addy. She is an accomplished chukar dog. I winged a chukar off of this point and marked it's landing over 800 yards away downhill. When we got there I told her to track and she pointed the cripple, which I then flushed and killed in even worse rocks. She retrieved it to hand.

IMGP0308_zps59e7f918.jpg

IMGP0315_zps61080a6a.jpg

roysetters3

I think you should go with an English setter, for the following reasons:

photo Img2245_zpsc8ac38ed.jpg

photo Img0106_zpsc23beec7.jpg

photo Img0206_zps743921a9.jpg

photo Img2505_zps3836a911.jpg

photo Img0116_zpsad096815.jpg

photo Img0090_zpsb1dca242.jpg

photo Img0046_zps9181d7f0.jpg

photo Img0071_zps2c328174.jpg

photo Img0080_zps09af6b4c.jpg

photo Img0081_zps029b8995.jpg

photo Img0093_zps1f8f7a35.jpg

photo Img0084_zps1185e0a7.jpg

photo Img0108_zps9a2ca5c4.jpg

photo Img2184_zps898ba400.jpg

photo Img2196_zps7ea129c9.jpg

photo Img0259_zpsf2ab3b28.jpg

Even setter puppies can point chukars....

photo Img2340_zps4a67fd95.jpg

photo Img2375_zpsb1edfe34.jpg

photo Img2372_zps127936a1.jpg

Against the Wind: Memories of Days in the Field with Bird Dogs, Camera, and Gun by Roy Pool -- now available on Kindle | iBooks | Nook | Kobo

"Against the wind, we were runnin' against the wind. We were young and strong and runnin' against the wind."

A good song and I am sure a great book.

The absolute best Chukar hound I have witnessed is ole Opie a Llewellin Setter. His range is huge and he holds birds long. Doesn't run but more a methodical lope with nose to the ground. There is nothing like going into a new area wondering if Chuk's are present or not and have my bud Shane come over the radio & say "Opie's on point"

Phenominal Chukar dog that deserves several ribbons and at least twenty trophies  :p

P1280025II.jpg

WYOGriffMAN
Thanks for the input so far keep it coming!! Like I said I love my Griff and he will find some I have no doubt, but I love to explore new huge areas and need some more range I think!!! Loved the Pictures I cannot wait to post some this fall!!
Ray Gubernat

Rather that breed, you should consider the physical attributes you want in in the pointing dog you choose.

Things like physical size, as in it is easier  to see a dog that stands 22" at the shoulder at 250+ yards in mixed cover than it is to see a dog that stands 18" at the shoulder.

Things like coloration, as in it is easier to see a white dog, or a mostly white dog in everything except snow.

Make a list of things you want in a dog and then go find one that does what you want.  There will be candidates in just about every breed.

Form follows function.

RayG

arizona brittanys
I've hunted northern Nevada with my Am. Brittanys 40+ days the past 14 years and they do a superb job on chucker , as well as other upland birds. Most of the hunters I know, or see in the field, are hunting britts, gsp's , and gwp's . About a 50/50 spilt between the German dogs and the britt's. That being said, just look at the beautiful pictures of Roy's wonderful dogs. Imo, I think any of the breeds can get the job done. Chucker are an outstanding and challenging bird to hunt, you will enjoy hunting them. Looking forward to seeing pictures this fall.008_8~1-M.jpg

Coloration is a factor to be sure but it bites both ways. Emma is all white nice in the dirt.

P1020647_zpsd20d5ab3.jpg

P1020648_zps7cc2592c.jpg

sucks in the snow. There is a dog on point in all three of the next pics.

P1020564_zpsf4fa8cfa.jpg

She is only 15 yards away in this one and I still could barely see her.

P1020562_zps58a6b742.jpg

good luck on this one...

P1020559_zps6de4598e.jpg

I have hunted chukars over number of dogs and of various breeds. Bird density is a factor.

Some days I see hundreds of chukars, others just a covey or two.

My personal preference is for a wide ranging dog. I run setters, but the right dogs of any good bird dog breed can get it done.

2543Toby_and_FoxLO.jpg

Phenominal Chukar dog that deserves several ribbons and at least twenty trophies  :p

Hmmm...for a moment I was thinking that you were describing your Creek, a GSP.

WYOGriffMAN
Mr Hong, Why no on the GWP? Just bad past experiences or not a fan of the breed for chukar hunting? Just wondering I am new to this and have really only hunted over my dog for anything but pheasants.