Getting started...

Meeting up with Scott later this morning to get our bait barrels secured at his camp. (We bought two barrels of commercial bait.) and then check on our stands, clear shooting lanes, maybe get our buckets attached to trees etc. We can start baiting on July 26 and season starts August 25.

No more screwing around, this may be the last year that baiting, hounding or trapping is legal in ME. See all the ME Bear referendum Topics I already started on this Forum.

Probably will rifle hunt in leu of bow. I would have a nice bear hide and skull right now and had a good load of bear meat if I had been holding a rifle when a bear almost climbed into my stand last year. Never got the right bow shot and watched him walk away.

I'd like to kill that big boar that chewed up and ruined my trail cam up at camp, but its unrealistic to bait there given its a 2.5 hr drive away.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Hub

• Virgil Kane

Brad, how does the license system for bear work in Main?

Over the counter? Lottery?

Here in Michigan it is a weighted lottery draw for bear tags.

Brad, how does the license system for bear work in Main?

Over the counter? Lottery?

Here in Michigan it is a weighted lottery draw for bear tags.

You need a big game license and then can purchase a Bear tag for $27. You can then take one bear via hounding, baiting, stalking, trapping. There am be additional restrictions/laws concerning hounding and trapping-I'd need to review law book.

We rolled the two bait barrels out of Scotts truck and tied them down in case a bear comes by his camp, cleared the dirt roads of downed trees to our bait stands. Both ladder stands were still there. We had one stolen a couple years back. Trimmed some grown in limbs and trees for shooting lanes. Now we wait until the 26th when we can start setting out bait in our 5 gallon buckets attached to a tree 20+- yards from stands.

Virgil Kane

Not that I'm bear hunting in Maine but are there any restrictions as to what one can use for bait? Or maybe an easier question would be what one cannot use for bait?

Can the bait be out in the open or does it have to be in a pit/hole and lower that ground level?

Just curious.

Virgil

Not that I'm bear hunting in Maine but are there any restrictions as to what one can use for bait? Or maybe an easier question would be what one cannot use for bait?

Can the bait be out in the open or does it have to be in a pit/hole and lower that ground level?

Just curious.

Virgil

I can't remember reading of any bait restrictions. People usually use old donuts and pastries or oats or grain soaked in molasses, etc. Not many use meat or road kill. There is commercial bear attractant available at sporting good stores. Licorice smelling sprays and gallons of sweet syrupy stuff. We use donuts and pastries, we buy in big metal drums. And sometimes supplement with sprays etc to get bears on the bait. Bait is usually ground level in drums and buckets. We don't like our sets to look like dumps, so we use just one 5 gallon bucket tied to a tree. We snap the cap on it about 3/4s around lip.That way coons can't normally get the top off but bears can easily. We also may lean a big log over the cap. You need to adhere to all other rules, like getting permission to hunt an area, permission from landowner to erect stands and all bait sites must be clearly labelled with baiters name address, contact info.

We rolled the two bait barrels out of Scotts truck and tied them down in case a bear comes by his camp

We tried that a few years back with steel 50 gallon drums that we bolted the lids on.  It still turned into one of the states largest bait stations as the bear ripped into the drums and ate a good portion of 2400 pounds of cookie dough.

Baited our stands for the first time today. Donuts and some commercial bacon grease concoction spread around. Set up trail cams. One stand is easy to access right off a well maintained dirt road, the other is several miles down a very sketchy old logging road. It gets worse every year since the owner of the 100"s of acres never maintained the road system after he bought the land after it was cut off. He died last year and his wife now owns it and allows us to hunt on it. It's gonna beat the bejesus out of the ole Tundra for the next couple months of baiting and hunting.

We will alternate baiting. Ill be back in wednesdayish.

• 2 weeks later...

bear2uj.jpg

bear1uj.jpg

bear3uj.jpg

Knock, knock...anyone home?

Had a visitor to our Wormwood Pond bait site. Instead of peeling off the half attached lid on 5 gallon bucket, it chewed a hole through the side of the bucket. I need to reposition the camera to the right next time to catch activity right at bait.

Curious, but didn't appear to chew or molest the metal case with camera inside. I hope that continues.

L. Gallagher

I was going to say that all you appear to need for bait is a game camera...LOL...

Good luck out there this fall...

• 3 weeks later...

Bear hunting started today. Note times.

beartime1.jpg

I will not be on stand at this time.

beartime2.jpg

I will be on stand at this time

beartime3.jpg

I will be on stand at this time

Good luck Brad! that bear looks a little boney eh?

This is a small bear. I probably won't shoot him. Im pretty sure a bigger ones is visiting the site too. We shall see. My buddy Scott is sitting on our other stand that has been hammered as well. But his trail cam hasn't been working so it will be interesting to see what might visit the bait.

Yup, at 6:30 I detected movement straight ahead of me and watched a bear walk in. Big ears, no sway to belly, but gorgeous jet black coat. Looked like a juvenile boar. I brought a rifle instead of bow, because 1, I hadn't shot the bow much in preparation, and 2, with this referendum to ban baiting this might be my last chance over bait so I wanted to anchor one. I had the scope down to about 2x and no matter how long I looked him over he wouldn't grow any larger. When he walked into the 5 gallon bait bucket and I could better judge his size I decided to enjoy the show and then let him walk. I don't think he made 100 lbs let alone 80. If I had brought the bow I may have been tempted to take him since he gave me every angle I would have wanted. He snacked for a good 10 minutes never looking up at me perched just 16-18 yards away. The breeze was on my left cheek and suddenly a deer blew to my right, and he came to alert, and strode quickly past me and disappeared into the woods. He never came back which was good since I don't think he associated the deers warning blow with me in the tree.

Great show, hope his daddy or big brother shows up. Pretty cool being so close for so long, to the ghost of the woods. :)

Some of the best hunting memories I have are when I didn't shoot but just watched.

Good luck to you Brad. Hope you get a chance at a big one.

Virgil