Getting started...

So cool.  Glad you got a show.  Can't wait for pictures when you get a big bear down.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• Hub

• Virgil Kane

Might be the one you got the picture of?

Any other bear on the camera from that site?

I like catch and release. Get a paintball gun. :)

Might be the one you got the picture of?

Any other bear on the camera from that site?

I like catch and release. Get a paintball gun. :)

I'm sure most of my trail cam shots are of that bear. I do think I have shots of a bigger bear at that set, but they are close to camera and I can't tell. This cam is screwing up on me. I should have a full set of shots from last night since I had camera running. But when I pulled card on way out it was blank. I left it but will swap out with my other one, maybe tomorrow afternoon and try and see whats wrong.

I'm not a picky hunter, you should see the size of some of the deer I shoot during expanded bow season. :blush: Others may have taken this bear, it just didn't feel right and I enjoyed the experience anyhow.

Nice job passing on that bear.  He is no doubt a 1.5 year old cub that just got kicked out by mama.  Those are some big old ears on him and a really thin face.  I shot my first bear with a bow a number of years ago.  Minnesota had a surplus of bears and in my zone they were allowing two tags so I decided I was going to take what ever walked up and gave a good clean shot.  I ended up shooting what I knew was a smaller bear.  I was thinking it was about 150 pounds.  I put a nice clean lung shot on it and it went 40 yards into the popple.  I blood trailed right to it and when I got there the first thing that popped into my head was.....how the heck did this tiny bear die on the blood trail to the one I shot?  I kid you not I couldn't even fathom it was the same bear.  One the upside, it was really easy dragging it out.  I shot another handful of bear before I really started getting the hang of judging their size while the adrenaline is pumping.

When do you think you'll get in the stand again?  

I'm following your hunt closely because I was supposed to go with my brother but the trip got canceled last minute when he got tossed out of his girlfriends place.  So now I'm shooting for a spring bear hunt and living vicariously through yours in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't leave us hanging, did you get out to your bear stand this weekend?

Sorry...been flat out moving to a new house and working 3-4 afts/evenings a weekend on a grouse research project. Only been on bear stand twice since I watched that bear. Baits still getting cleaned out but no show. Gonna try and bear hunt on Wednesday and once more before end of season on Saturday. Disappointing that I got so busy after baiting all of August. Ain't over yet.

Haven't even been on deer bow stand, expanded archery started back on the 6th. :down:

do you use cover scent at all?

I use fox urine. I have had deer almost bump into me. buy it by the gallon from suppliers that advertise in fur, fish and game. decant it into smaller containers and leave them at my stands.

do you use cover scent at all?

I use fox urine. I have had deer almost bump into me. buy it by the gallon from suppliers that advertise in fur, fish and game. decant it into smaller containers and leave them at my stands.

They say a bears nose is 8 times better than that of a dog.  I bet when you use a 'cover scent' for bear they think, 'I smell a person.....covered in fox urine".

I agree it is better to not use any scent just a big ole pile of doughnuts. That way when the bear comes in he smells a person then say look doughnuts kind of like a slight of hand distraction  :D
How do you use fox urine?  Are guys actually putting it on themselves?  That just seems wrong.
I'm toast. First weekend day at new house, lots to do...may or may not take the hour+ drive and set on bear stand this aft. This is the final day for the baiting season. I don't regret not shooting that small bear and only wish the timing of moving etc was different and I could have committed more time on stand. Especially given ME may lose the HSUS bear referendum to end baiting, hounding and trapping bear-in November. I feel privileged to spend some time with that ghost of the woods. It's a rare thing to be within 20 yards of a black bear, it was cool even if I won't have a bear hide to hang over our landing banister.
Some times the best hunts are when you dont take a shot

I agree, Gary. I'll add that any encounter with a black bear in the eastern forest is special, indeed. I've been fortunate enough to have experienced several and each is a vivid memory for me.