Pistol Hunting for Big Game

They have the same rings if the base is flat if it is stepped then the rings will be different sized.  But to make it even simpler you can buy a set of Warne rings that are quick release in either 1 inch or 30mm depending on your optics.  You can take them off and put them back on still maintaining zero. http://warnescopemounts.com/product/ruger-rings/
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redrockin7

• WPG Gizmo

• MAArcher

• garyRI

Thanks for that link to the burris ruger-weaver adapter... I think I need something like that. I looked at some red dots tonight and liked the reflex type best.

The bushnell trophy was nice but it was 28mm tube and my scope rings wouldn't work with it nor would 30mm rings, you need to use the rings that came with it. They also seemed to think it couldn't handle 44mag recoil at the shop, but who knows. Otherwise it was a nice site with 4 different dots to select from and red/green. 3MOA - 10MOA adjustable dot.

They have the same rings if the base is flat if it is stepped then the rings will be different sized.  But to make it even simpler you can buy a set of Warne rings that are quick release in either 1 inch or 30mm depending on your optics.  You can take them off and put them back on still maintaining zero. http://warnescopemounts.com/product/ruger-rings/

I have 1" ruger rings that are quick release already... their size "5" which I think is middle height. I'll post a pic with the 2x20 scope on it when I get a chance.

I don't think the 2x20 is going to work for quick shots though, too narrow field of view/tough getting eye lined up, also looks pretty shaky which maybe it is, but even some shake resting it, so that might not make me too confident. If I go with a scope, it will need to be at least the 2-6x32.

I'm thinking good reflex style red-dot though...i'll keep looking at my options.

Thanks for that link to the burris ruger-weaver adapter... I think I need something like that. I looked at some red dots tonight and liked the reflex type best.

The bushnell trophy was nice but it was 28mm tube and my scope rings wouldn't work with it nor would 30mm rings, you need to use the rings that came with it. They also seemed to think it couldn't handle 44mag recoil at the shop, but who knows. Otherwise it was a nice site with 4 different dots to select from and red/green. 3MOA - 10MOA adjustable dot.

At $60 bucks the Trophy is a cheap scope.  They were $125 when I bought mine years ago.  Its stood up to hundreds of rounds of the heaviest 12 gauge 3" mag turkey loads.  The rest of the shooting has been fairly light shooting 2 3/4" Breneke KO slugs.  I've never shot a .44 mag so I can't say how much more severe the recoil is there.  Its stood up to rain or shine hunting too.

How about this sight in the rings you already have for a cheap way out?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/millet-electronic-red-dot-sights.html

Pretty good reviews and the rig might look slick all in silver too.

I've owned a Ruger 44 mag but it is hard to compare handgun & long gun recoil but I think if a scope/sighting system can handle 12 guage slugs it can handle anything.

I bought a Burris Fastfire III because it is waterproof & you can swap batteries from the top. The fastfire I isn't waterproof. The II needs to be removed from the mount to swap batteries.

Playing around on the range I'm struck that the fastfire's brightest setting is only useful on the brightest days.

Playing around on the range I'm struck that the fastfire's brightest setting is only useful on the brightest days.

GaryRI, what do you mean by that?  

Is the automatic brightness setting any good?  I'd like to find a reflex sight that that dims automatically as daylight fades.  The Fast Fire I did not have manual adjustments and the auto dim didn't work well, always leaving the dot too bright so I had to put a piece of tape over the sensor so it would stay as dim as it would go.

Bushnell makes a similar looking sight but I haven't compared them but I'd like something like that to put on my SW1911 .45

my fastfire iii has a manual setting button - appears to be 3 of them. I'll reread the instructions to see if there is an auto setting (I've been to the range once with it).

At $60 bucks the Trophy is a cheap scope.  They were $125 when I bought mine years ago.  Its stood up to hundreds of rounds of the heaviest 12 gauge 3" mag turkey loads.  The rest of the shooting has been fairly light shooting 2 3/4" Breneke KO slugs.  I've never shot a .44 mag so I can't say how much more severe the recoil is there.  Its stood up to rain or shine hunting too.

How about this sight in the rings you already have for a cheap way out?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/millet-electronic-red-dot-sights.html

Pretty good reviews and the rig might look slick all in silver too.

I've been using these on shotguns for the past five years or so.  So far so good.  My only gripe is the adjustment is gooffy and needs one more adjustment for really bright light.  Zero holds well though, so far.

I might try the Millett- two super redhawk users reviewed it and said  it had no problems. Worth a shot at $40.

Not sure if I want to try black or silver, if I get black I can put it on an AR-15 if I don't like it on the pistol. Hrmmm...

Also, let me clear one more thing up - even with these tube style red dots I'll be able to keep both eyes open and see the red dot, plus my surroundings? Or will I actually look down the tube on this style?

I might try the Millett- two super redhawk users reviewed it and said  it had no problems. Worth a shot at $40.

Not sure if I want to try black or silver, if I get black I can put it on an AR-15 if I don't like it on the pistol. Hrmmm...

Also, let me clear one more thing up - even with these tube style red dots I'll be able to keep both eyes open and see the red dot, plus my surroundings? Or will I actually look down the tube on this style?

Both reflex and tube style red dots can be shot with one or two eyes open.  

Their might be a learning curve to shooting with both eyes open since its contrary to how most of us learned to shoot.

How do you shoot a shotgun one or two eyes open shooting a scoped gun is no different just look at your target not the scope and you will do fine.

I've been playing around with the 2x20 and with both eyes open it's fine. I'm going to shoot it open sights and 2x20 this weekend, even then I'll probably still go with a Burris Fastfire III.

It will keep the gun light(er) compared to a scope, heck only a few ounces heavier than no optics at all which is important to me.

Question on the burris - is there any difference between:

Burris 300234 and 300235? They both appear to be 3MOA dot Burris. On amazon one says "with Picatinny" mount and the other says "no mount".

Would there be a reason to NOT buy the one with the Picatinny mount so I have the Pic mount if I want/need it for another firearm? It's cheaper than the one with no mount.

I guess the real question is, can the Pic mount be removed easily and replaced with a Ruger mount for the SBH?