Pistol Hunting for Big Game

There are a couple of things that effect accuracy with a handgun especially a single action grip and trigger are everything it always needs to be the same.  I always do a trigger job on my guns get the springs from Wolfe they are easy to change and make for a much lighter trigger which aids greatly in accuracy.  

Always grip it the same not to tight not to loose but always do it the same.  Everyone thinks that the 44mag is a beast to shoot and because of that they have a built in flinch reflex to many Dirty Harry movies.  The 44 in a single action is not harsh at all as you found out just let the gun roll in your hand while maintaining a firm grip this is why rubber grips are not a good choice they do not allow the gun to roll in your hand.

You need to shoot it a lot to get really good with it which is why I reload.  

How are you shooting off hand off the bench off a good rest?  A good rest is the way to go it will take 95% of the movement out of the gun.  I have a dedicated pistol rest it supports the barrel and grip it makes sighting in easy.  

ALWAYS look through the sight the same a red dot sight on a handgun is a little strange to get use to at first but always try to maintain the same form when shooting.  

Clean your barrel if you shot a bunch with a dirty barrel it will affect accuracy on a new gun I run a solvent soaked patch every 5 rounds and then wipe it dry.

Make sure your FF3 is tight on the barrel and make small adjustments with it the sight can take a lot of recoil so I would not worry about it.

Sight the gun in using the pistol sights first you will get the feel of the gun better you will see that by rotating your hand slightly you lose your sights once you are comfortable with that then use the FF3 the dot should be centered in the screen when you move your hand and rotate the gun you also move the dot in your view.

Again I dont know how your shooting but I use a two hand grip right hand gripping the pistol left hand wrapped over the right, elbows slightly bent to help absorb recoil both eyes open looking down the barrel focusing on the target.

Hunting with a handgun is like hunting with a bow you just dont pick it up and your good to go it takes practice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redrockin7

• WPG Gizmo

• MAArcher

• garyRI

I was resting barrel but not necessarily the grip. I see amazon has some pistol rests for 25ish. Probably get one.

I read somewhere you can just unhook a spring on one side of the main spring and it would be a free trigger job reducing pull from 6ish to 3-4ish. Is this really safe to do?

Which springs from Wolff would I get?

On my Ruger Bisley 45 LC I went with a Wolff 28# hammer spring, the factory standard is 23#. A lot of people think that going lighter with a hammer spring in a single action is going to help when in reality a lighter hammer spring will ADD time to the long hammer fall of a single action. This long hammer fall is what throws people off, you must have good follow though to shoot a single action. It's not at all like shooting a S&W or Colt double/single actions which have much shorter hammer falls.

A stronger hammer spring will shorten the hammer fall and aid in accuracy and should shrink your groups. I have heard about the taking one side of the return spring off of Rugers and supposedly safe to do but have never found it necessary as long as the release is crisp and without a gritty feeling.

Virgil

I don't normally jump down to the big game section of this forum as I don't typically spend much time hunting deer or anything other than birds.

That being said, I acquired a scoped Ruger super redhawk  that I love to shoot. All of a sudden I have this desire to deer hunt with it and this thread has been helpful. I may even have to change out the scope.

Thanks.

Think like a bow hunter when you are handgun hunting and you will do fine.  It is not a 100 yard weapon in most hunters hands but it is a very capable 50 yard weapon.  Just like bow hunting know your limits and stay with in them.  

Most people dont know how to range a target.  If your using a rifle you sight it in for 100 yards and that's it you know your going to be a few inches high at 50 and a few inches low at 150.  

When you bow hunt you have a sight with a couple of pins normally you set them for 20 30 and 40 yards and you learn to judge distance so you use the proper pin at the distance that your target is at.  You learn how to judge distance on the ground or if you are in a stand you already have ranged the distance to certain points so you know how far away your target is.

Have fun and post your pics

I plan to do as much practice as possible by "rifle" season in December and then still limit my shots to 50 yards when I have the handgun. I think it will work out nicely. I do also archery hunt and carry a rangefinder so both will be helpful in this endeavor.

I'm glad the thread has possibly influenced some others to give it a shot as well.

I just bought a cheap Sightmark mini-shot reflex sight to put on my SW1911.  I have to have a friend machine the mount for me because they don't make them for Novak dovetails.  I'd like to take a deer with the 45 this year.
In NH you can use a Semi Auto handgun provided it is in one of the following calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum.  These are allowed in any town that has the shotgun restriction they must be used only in a handgun, no handgun caliber rifles allowed.  One other thing is if you do take a deer with a handgun be prepared to show your gun to the warden if asked.
Caliber restrictions?  That's like driving 60 in a 55.
Yes there are restrictions to caliber and the same as doing 60 in a 55 will get you a ticket if you use any other caliber then the ones approved for use in the shotgun restricted zone it will get a you a ticket.

You don't get tickets for going 5 mph over the limit, that's unheard of.  

I guess I'll have to head north of 101 or go to Maine.

You don't get tickets for going 5 mph over the limit, that's unheard of.  

I take it you have never driven through Indiana? :oops:

Notorious Indiana State Troopers are famous for ticketing out of state plates  for 1 mile over the limit.

I would have my concerns about using the 45ACP on deer even with +P loads but as long as shots are close it might work. I'm willing to bet that you don't get pass through, if you try it let us know how it works for you.

Virgil

Those caliber restrictions are pretty funny given that the only one commonly found in a semi-auto is the 10mm. All the others are basically "revolver calibers", no? I certainly haven't seen to many .357 mag, .41 mag, or .44 mag semi-autos. I guess maybe a desert eagle in .50 would qualify?!