Pistol Hunting for Big Game

Its dumb ass law.  But maybe I can use it to convince my wife that I just have to buy a 10mm.  After I show her the prices on a Dan Wesson Titan and STI Perfect 10, maybe she'll let me buy a Colt Delta Elite?
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redrockin7

• WPG Gizmo

• MAArcher

• garyRI

Its dumb ass law.  

Why is it that every law you do not agree with concerning hunting is a dumb ass law.  

The pistol caliber law was put in place because people wanted to hunt with handguns and at the time of the law you could only use Shotguns or Muzzle loaders in specific towns.   The decision was made to have certain caliber restrictions to what was considered at the time to have enough power to cleanly kill a deer.  There was a lot of conflict to get this law passed not everyone wanted it so there was some give and take to get it where it is today.

Since the handgun law has been in place there have been advances in pistols like the 460 Rowland and the 500 S&W BUT they were not included in the original law and until the law is changed you can not use them in the towns that have specific handgun rules.

The laws were put in place so people would not just grab what ever they want to hunt with Clean kills were the reason and not having wounded deer running around.  This is why you can not use 22 Cal rifles not just rimfire but any 22 cal bullet, you can not use less then a 40 Cal muzzle loader or have more then 1 muzzle loader in your possession while hunting, you can not use less then a 40 pound draw bow.

Work with in the law or take your chances it is all up to you but your dumb ass law seems to have worked well for everyone else for the 15 years or so it has been in place.

Its dumb ass law.  

Why is it that every law you do not agree with concerning hunting is a dumb ass law.  

The pistol caliber law was put in place because people wanted to hunt with handguns and at the time of the law you could only use Shotguns or Muzzle loaders in specific towns.   The decision was made to have certain caliber restrictions to what was considered at the time to have enough power to cleanly kill a deer.  There was a lot of conflict to get this law passed not everyone wanted it so there was some give and take to get it where it is today.

Since the handgun law has been in place there have been advances in pistols like the 460 Rowland and the 500 S&W BUT they were not included in the original law and until the law is changed you can not use them in the towns that have specific handgun rules.

The laws were put in place so people would not just grab what ever they want to hunt with Clean kills were the reason and not having wounded deer running around.  This is why you can not use 22 Cal rifles not just rimfire but any 22 cal bullet, you can not use less then a 40 Cal muzzle loader or have more then 1 muzzle loader in your possession while hunting, you can not use less then a 40 pound draw bow.

Work with in the law or take your chances it is all up to you but your dumb ass law seems to have worked well for everyone else for the 15 years or so it has been in place.

That's your argument in favor of the law, its prevented inhuman wounding of deer for the last 15 years?  Before that there was a big problem of guys running around the woods wounding deer with little pistols and the not dumb ass but brilliant law restricting calibers was just the remedy?  I guess that could be the case, I wasn't hunting here 15 years ago, but this is the first I've heard of the "little gun deer wounding epidemic of 1999."

So the wanton waste law, which is not a dumb ass law, wasn't sufficient to prevent the maiming of deer?  It was the caliber restrictions that saved the day?  That's the first time in the history of mankind that I can think of where a duplicate law solved the problem.  Maybe they should outlaw all guns and it really will stop murder.

You don't get it Gary.  99% of all laws are either useless, repetitive, unconstitutional and/or contrary to traditional American values or just down right dumb ass laws made by people who don't know what their doing.  That's not just because I don't agree with them, its because they have no basis in logic, reason, fact of physics.  They are knee jerk reactions by a majority who were never presented with all the facts.

Fact is, I can cleanly kill a deer at 20 yards with a 45 acp. Fact is if I try and kill a deer at 200 yards with a 45 acp I'm guilty of wanton waste.  So a law telling me I can't use a 45 acp to kill a deer is useless and repetitive, contrary to traditional American values of personal responsibility and freedom and is just dumb ass.  It has no basis in physics, logic or reason.  Every caliber has a range limit.  Every caliber can wound deer.  Every caliber posses a danger to bystanders.  To try to mange humane killing and public safety with caliber restrictions just shows ignorance to those facts.

Not to mention the fact that its just no one else's damn business how I kill my food.