• Full Shoulder Mount
      Full Shoulder Mount
    • European Skull Mount
      Full Shoulder Mount

mooserack3.jpg

mooserack2.jpg

mooserack1.jpg

It's decision time.

One of my taxidermists is caping out my moose head today. Its been in cold storage and there is no hair slippage so its good to go if I decide on a full shoulder mount with him. My other taxidermist with the flesh eating Dermestid beetles is on call in case I decide to bring the fleshed out skull and rack over to him for a European skull mount. The guy caping out the head is doing it for free in exchange for the cape if I decide on the skull mount.

I watched a bigger bull with a 50+ rack get skinned this morning and it was an ugly old swamp donkey with blunt rubbed off paddles and broken tines and a dull colored rack. That one is gonna have a full head mount. In comparison my head and rack although no record breaker at 15pts, 44" is much heavier, nicer looking-and in perfect shape with a rich color.

Cost:

–Full shoulder mount in a full sneak with tilted head: $1200.00 (This isn't up for debate-I can get a crappy mount done for $8-$900 but a good professional mount by a talented taxidermist goes for that)

–European Bleached Skull Mount: $250.00

Problem is I have no place in my small farmhouse for a full mount and would have to store it or hang it in the office of the guys who hunted/guided me-until we moved to a bigger house with cathedral ceilings etc. But I could possibly hang a skull mount in my spare bedroom office.

The cost is a factor since I am not made of money despite appearances. . . and a full mount will sting. But I'm afraid I'll regret not getting the full mount done since this will likely be the only moose I ever shoot. Even my wife Jo Ann is telling me to go for a full mount because she thinks I'll regret not doing so.

What you all think? Thats what these Polls are for.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• jmelgaard

• Alan Briere

I too voted skull mount for the simple reason of practicality.  I would hate to pay for a full shoulder mount and then hang it is some other guys office.  My limited experience with mounts also indicates that they look great at first but age poorly - even when done by a good taxidermist, who for a fee will freshen your mount every few years.  A skull mount will need little more than dusting for as long as you have it.  Who wouldn't want a full shoulder mount of that great animal, but if you don't have a place to hang it, what's the point?  I wish you well in your decision.

Congratulations,

Mike

The cost is a factor since I am not made of money despite appearances. . . and a full mount will sting. But I'm afraid I'll regret not getting the full mount done since this will likely be the only moose I ever shoot. Even my wife Jo Ann is telling me to go for a full mount because she thinks I'll regret not doing so.

go for the full in idaho you only get one moose per lifetime so no chance of another and that moose looks good!!  plus the wife is allready on board

Brad:

At one time many years ago I thought European mounts were kinda, well, yuck......

Over time I have really come to like this form of presentation.

I would go with the skull/european mount....  Its cool

When I got my moose I just had the antlers mounted on a solid oak plaque and I have no regrets.  My buddies did the same with theirs and they are all pleased.  Moose are so damn big that they overpower all but the biggest trophy rooms with a full head mount.  Furthermore, they become a burden if you move often as we do.

Congrats on a nice moose, you can be proud of that one.

If it were me I would do the oak plaque and antler mount and I would have a woodworker make a matching rack for that heirloom gun you took it with.  Then I would hang them both on the wall with the antlers above the gun.

Dave

Once in a lifetime = full mount.  He is such a beautiful animal.  There has GOT to be place in that lovely home of yours for a full mount.
Brad that moose calls for a full mount, it is not a regret you want to have later in life.  With Jo Ann on board the battle is over get the full mount and enjoy.
I'm voting Euro skull mount. Unless you plan on moving into a converted church or barn the full mount is always going to be way too big for the design of any room in a normal house.
I'm leaning towards the skull mount, but only if its the full top of the skull.  I prefer that to the "classic" european mount where the've sawed off below the eye sockets.  A full shoulder mount would be awesome if you have the space to properly show it.  Which you don't.  It will take up a lot of space and stick way out from the wall, and be right in your face.  Unless of course you are planning to move.  With a once in a lifetime trophy like this it shouldn't be about the cost.  My grandad was a taxidermist and had a full shoulder moose head in his house while my mom was growing up.  There's the one story about it fulling off the wall in the middle of the night and waking everyone up, and the other one about where my grandad (his name was Maurice) was going to give the head to the first person in the family to name their kid after him.  There never has been another Maurice in the family!
What you need to do is give seminars on how you got your wife not only to agree that you can get a full moose mount, but to encourage you to get the full mount. If you could teach others this achievement, your speaking fees would not only cover the mount, they might bring in enough to remodel your house with a big trophy room.
Skull mount with a new set of photos of the moose under it. I would also have the hide tanned like Alan did with their moose.

"neck and neck" so far. Another thing is I can have a bleached skull/rack back in a few weeks whereas I'll be waiting a year+- for a full mount. . .

PS Theres NO WAY IN HELL a full mount would fit in this house let alone the side door!

I would also have the hide tanned like Alan did with their moose.

Too late-I only took 3/4's of the hide when it was skinned (freakin hide alone weights over 100 pounds when first taken off the critter)-and at this point its likely already caped.