Full Mount or Skull Mount?

Full Mount or Skull Mount?  

1. 1. Full Mount or Skull Mount?

• Full Shoulder Mount
      Full Shoulder Mount
    • European Skull Mount
      Full Shoulder Mount

Unless he wants to spend the rest of  his life sleeping next to a full moose mount, and paying for JoAnn's apartment in Boston, I think he should probably go with the skull mount.

It was pre approved

Even my wife Jo Ann is telling me to go for a full mount because she thinks I'll regret not doing so.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• jmelgaard

• Alan Briere

Breakfast Boy

My vote is full shoulder mount Brad.  Seen WAY too many guys regret it later.  It's a once in a lifetime bull, so pay the once in a lifetime price (smile).

If anyone is willing to pay $1200 for a pair of slightly used Filson double tin chaps, I'll pay for Brad's mount.

:p

And before you sick puppies twist my wording, I said pay for Brad's mount, not pay to mount Brad!!!

SamOtterKronk

Here is a second option for you.  You can have both.  Since you don't have the room and the price stings at the moment, you could choose to have the cape tanned and mounted later.  Then you could also have the skull or skull plate mounted now for display.  Like many things, getting it mounted down the road may never happen but it is an option.  The tanning proccess is what takes so long.  The taxidermist can actually have the form and mount done in just a short time.  Getting ther hide back from the tannery takes months.  

I voted for the shoulder mount because it may be a once in a life time deal.  It is also a very nice representatve of the species.  What ever you decide it will be awsome, I am very envious I have always wanted to chase moose.

Do the skull mount now and tan the cape. Keep the cape until such time as you may have the room and have the full mount done with the cape and antlers over the appropriate form for the mount you choose.

Alan

That's what I said too Sam. Win, win!

Alan

Is it likely that you will ever have a place big enough that a shoulder mounted moose will look right?

I'd mount them on a board and be done with it.

Actually, that's probably not true.  I would probably cut them off and just lay them in my office as a conversation piece.  At some point my kids would get a hold of them and make up fun games.

Full body mount of a moose rubbing its horns on a tree.

Seriously get the shoulder mount. The taxidermist that did my Elk mount does moose for $825 and up, I was VERY pleased with his work. Lemme know if you want info or pics.

If you do decide to go the skull mount route either save the cape so you can get the shoulder mount down the road if you want or sell the cape to a taxidermist. You can sell it through www.taxidermy.net they have free classifieds.

Alex

I would get a full shoulder mount for this one and skull mount for the next.  Skull mounts are cool tho and look great on the barn wall but I don't know how to make them squirrel proof.

The only place I could put a moose mount up would be in the garage.  If I made some space.

European mount, they are way cooler. I think record trophies are best made into museum quality mounts for future generations to see. I think your trophy would be more dramatic as a european mount.

By the way, congrats. I don't know much about moose but your's looked pretty damned big to me! Pretty cool.

I say go with the full shoulder mount for a couple reasons:

1) I agree with those who say you'll regret not doing it later; and

2) Sounds like even the skull mount would be overpowering in your home, since its the antlers that are so tremendous.  If that's true, then you might as well get what you want and work towards a home addition or a new place that will accomodate it.

In the interim, I would certainly put together some sort of photo collage incorporating some portion of the hide in a large frame under glass that can be easily displayed in your current home. Put this one right in the middle as an 11x17.

moosebraddick.jpg