Full Mount or Skull Mount?

Full Mount or Skull Mount?  

1. 1. Full Mount or Skull Mount?

• Full Shoulder Mount
      Full Shoulder Mount
    • European Skull Mount
      Full Shoulder Mount

Brad,

I didn't vote because the option I am about to suggest is not there.  (I also didn't read the whole thread, so if this has been suggested, please forgive me).  I have done some amateur taxidermy, mostly birds, but a few deer heads, so I know what goes into it.  A moose is a big animal, and a space to hang such a head in one's home is usually at something of a premium.  But, maybe a Euro skull mount will fit better?  What about any regrets you might have later?

Here's what you do.  Pay the fellow who is skinning the cape and have it tanned.  Also have him list all the measurements that would later be needed if you ever decide to have the head mounted.  Then take the skull and rack and have the Euro mount done.  Once you have the skull/antlers and the cape, you can have the head recreated later.

Might cost a little more in the long run, but at least it'll be spread out some and you'll still have the choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Frank

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• jmelgaard

• Alan Briere

We should have had this discussion a week ago. It might have resulted in the first ever catch and release moose! Perhaps a fiberglas reproduction.

Brad your like me. The house is just got big enough. I'd go for the Euro mount unless you want to just store until you can move. But then again will you get another chance at a moose?

Michael

Do the skull mount now and tan the cape. Keep the cape until such time as you may have the room and have the full mount done with the cape and antlers over the appropriate form for the mount you choose.

Brilliant!

Thank you Alan and all those who made the same suggestion; flopez etc and all those who voiced their opinion.

I'm having taxidermist # 1 flesh out the cape and send it to be tanned. I brought the skull and rack to taxidermist #2 this afternoon for some beetle work.

I'll have a European skull mount in about a month to hang in my office and can decide within the next two years if I want to spring for a full shoulder mount. (Taxidermist #1 recommends doing the full mount within 2 years of having the dry cape tanned.)

If I decide I am a happy with the skull mount-I can get credit for that cape towards a buck mount or something,

Win, win all around.

Once in a lifetime hunt, get the mount. You'll regret not getting a shoulder mount down the road. Think of how many $1200s you've wasted and how many more you'll waste before you are covered with dirt. Get the mount and subtract $1 each time you look at it and smile. Within a year it will have paid for itself :)

Brad,

The taxidermist that recommended that you make the decision within two years is pretty much correct, except for one thing.  If you wrap it really well and stick it in a freezer, it will keep a lot longer.

Frank

Final update before I spin this over to Big Game Forum.

In summary: I took the advice to have the cape tanned and prepped for a full mount and have already brought the fleshed out skull and rack to my flesh-eating beetle taxidermist. I'll get the European skull mount back in about a month and can have a full mount done at anytime if I choose within a couple years.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.