Personal Mottos

Occasionally I notice what seems to be a sort of personal motto in the signature line, or in the post, of our members. For example, one member used "don't let them get you down" or "good shooting", something like that.

BTW, the famous WW II US General, 'Vinegar' Joe Stillwell had his personal motto put on a board in his office in the CBI (China-Burma-India-) Theater of Operations : Illegetematti Non Corborundum" or Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down.

My family has a motto on our coat of arms, granted by either the Duke of Lennox or King James I/VI of England :Virtute et Labore" or roughly in English : Through Striving Comes Virtue.

Virtue in old Roman sense of manly civic virtue. How incredibly boring and Calvinist. So I long ago made up my own personal motto: Khabrost' Gorodok Bereyot, Russian for "Bravery takes Towns".

That motto, examination of the problem, searching for the truth (What is truth? asked Pontius Pilot) and personal prayer have been behind almost all of my most difficult decisions.

So my question for y'all is this: how many have a personal motto you like, ascribe to or even use?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rex Hoppie

• valuman

• trust me

• Field Grade

The biggest problem with a personal motto is that you have to live up to it.  ;~)

If called by a panther don't anther.

Candy is dandy but liquior is quicker.

Actually these are poems by Ogden Nash.

Life's a bitch and then you die.

There is no problem in the world that can not be solve with a properly place explosive  :D

Don't know who said it but I've always liked it .

''Life , be it a daring adventure or be it nothing at all ''

I've got no regrets .

I caught a National Geographic bio on Norman Vaughn years ago, and was fascinated by his story...his motto was pretty good also.

"Dream Big, and Dare to Fail"

Roger

My Grandfather gave me this one years ago, when I was a young kid:

"Your ears will lie to you, your eyes can lie to you, but your nose never lies. If something stinks, it stinks."

That has held true in many a business deal for me.

"Your ears will lie to you, your eyes can lie to you, but your nose never lies. If something stinks, it stinks."

I love it . You're Grandfather was a wise man .

Life is filled with opportunities so take advantage of the good ones, for if missed they probably are gone forever.

I love it . You're Grandfather was a wise man .

Thank you.

And yes, he was. Came to this country from Italy  as an endentured servant, working in the Utah coal mines for 7 years for free to pay his way.

Was a tough, smart man who learn a lot of things the hard way.

My own personal game shooting  motto, provided long ago by a blessed waterfowl hunting mentor and a bit later by Bob Brister:

"Shoot 'em where the corn goes in, not where it comes out."

"It is a long way to the heart via the rectum."