Red Lobster

vern faulkner

Dave in Maine

I like going to the Harbor Fish Market out on the pier in Portland.  You don't quite get it directly off the boat there.  They have a sliding door on the back wall which they open up and get it off the boat that way.

Best deal:  trimmings from Gawd-knows-what for fish chowder.  Good meal on a nasty, sideways-rainy football Sunday afternoon in November or December.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cooter Brown

• mshowman

• Bonasa

• Ben Hong

Fast food seafood not for me kind of like going to Olive Garden for Italian.   :p   FYI Outback has all you can eat shrimp also I try to stay away from chain restaurants

Agree WRT Red Lobster. The ones I have been to (and I stopped going years ago) had excellent service, those biscuits are great, but the sea food is IMHO never very good.

Re chain restaurants; it depends upon the chain. We have a small chain of restaurants called Salt Grass. It is a steak house and for the money it is very good. Bohannon's is a small top floor chain with truly excellent food and service and the prices to match. Alexander's is another really good one.

It is another version of you get what you pay for. Unless one is lucky enough to be right on the coast, fresh seafood is expensive and for $12.95 or so the seafood is not going to be very good.

Re chain restaurants; it depends upon the chain. We have a small chain of restaurants called Salt Grass. It is a steak house and for the money it is very good. Bohannon's is a small top floor chain with truly excellent food and service and the prices to match. Alexander's is another really good one.

It is another version of you get what you pay for. Unless one is lucky enough to be right on the coast, fresh seafood is expensive and for $12.95 or so the seafood is not going to be very good.

Salt Grass is very good for a chain restaurant. Another TX chain I like is Pappadeaux Seafood.

I always wondered about Bonefish Grill. What kind of seafood restaruant would name itself after in inedible fish?
I love their biscuits. The Red Lobster cheddar biscuit mix is available from Walmart. They are easy to make and taste the same. The Mrs can bake up a batch of those plus a good salad, I can eat salad and biscuits plus drink beer until I am stuffed just like RL. The only part I miss out on is the plate of marginal seafood forced down a full stomach and paying them $50 plus tip for the two of us. Plus my beers don't cost $4.
Red Lobster is barely tolerable- though I have buds that love it- but it's like an easterner saying to us they have great mountains/skiing. It's all a perspective of what you have in front of you.

And this rambling thread and my wandering mind  reminds me of yet another worthless story.

My nephew and I took our families to a Chinese restaurant with an all you can eat snow crab leg special. They were actually pretty good. We both vowed to eat the other under the table. Our families had long since stopped eating but we soldiered on, a mountain of empty legs growing between us. Finally I had to admit defeat, while he kept eating, sitting there in his volunteer firefighter shirt,showing no sign of slowing down. Eventually an old Chinese lady with a tenuous grasp of english came out and approached him......"Hey you.....you must leave now......they called.....fiya......big fiya......whole town burning down...must leave now....hurry."

I always wondered about Bonefish Grill. What kind of seafood restaruant would name itself after in inedible fish?

Good point. Maybe it's because bonefish make for a better logo than walleye. The good news is that they don't offer bonefish on the menu.

Their grilled sea scallops and shrimp are excellent as is their corn chowder & lump crab soup. But before you go, stop at Costco. Costco sells 2 $50 Bonefish Grill gift cards for $80. And while you're there pick up a bottle of Menege Trois red wine blend. I first tasted it at BG for $30 per bottle but Costco sells it for about $9 per bottle. You can't take it into BG but you can take it home and enjoy it later. IMO it's the best red wine you'll find for the money.

Would it be that strange to say that I've never eaten at a Red Lobster?

I'm in the same boat.  I guess i never wanted to drive to West Virginia for seafood.

Fast food seafood not for me kind of like going to Olive Garden for Italian.   :p  

Olive Garden is owned by the same people as Red Lobster.