Red Lobster

vern faulkner

I don't mind Red Lobster, after all, like I said, it is the best sea food restaurant in WV.  It is also the best seafood restaurant in Muncie, Indiana.

I like Taco Bell too, it is the second best Mexican restaurand in WV.

Olive Garden isn't bad either.  Italian restaurants are pretty much all the same, a lot of pasta.  I like the salad.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cooter Brown

• mshowman

• Bonasa

• Ben Hong

A vital question to ask is: WHERE DOES RL (or LSJ) get their shrimp from?  If Asia,  DON'T eat it.  My wife, who is a Chef and an expert on shrimp, tells me horror stories about shrimp from China and Thailand. Pollution, heavy metals and other horror stories. All shrimp,at our house is from the Gulf of Mexico.
All shrimp,at our house is from the Gulf of Mexico.

The Gulf is generally acknowledged as having one of the highest concentrations of oil wells in the world, and every derrick  has had issues with "leakage" at one time or another. BP is the one catastrophy that garnered all the headlines.

All shrimp,at our house is from the Gulf of Mexico.

The Gulf is generally acknowledged as having one of the highest concentrations of oil wells in the world, and every derrick  has had issues with "leakage" at one time or another. BP is the one catastrophy that garnered all the headlines.

OC is correct.  Gulf of Mexico is a healthy body of water. The BP spill was bad but there are worse toxins than oil...

Fast food seafood not for me kind of like going to Olive Garden for Italian.   :p  

Olive Garden is owned by the same people as Red Lobster.

Except that they aren't

Red LobsterEdit

On December 19, 2013, Darden announced it plans to sell or spin-off the Red Lobster brand, citing pressure from stock investors. [24] This is in direct response to the company spending $100 million on a new digital platform. The project is already at least one year behind schedule and above budget. Several rounds of layoffs at in its marketing department and the company's second in command. [25] On May 12, 2014, Darden announced that as part of the spinoff of Red Lobster, it was converting the co-located Red Lobster and Olive Garden locations into standalone Olive Garden locations.[26]

On May 16, 2014, Darden announced it would be selling the Red Lobster seafood restaurant chain to Golden Gate Capital for $2.1 billion USD.[27] Darden announced the completion of the sale of Red Lobster on July 28, 2014.[28]

IMHO, I think this all comes down to eating food that is actually in season and relatively local.  RL helps break this rule......

I mean I challenge the reason anyone would expect inexpensive & good seafood in SD in the first place?  The two just can't really exist together.

A vital question to ask is: WHERE DOES RL (or LSJ) get their shrimp from?  If Asia,  DON'T eat it.  My wife, who is a Chef and an expert on shrimp, tells me horror stories about shrimp from China and Thailand. Pollution, heavy metals and other horror stories. All shrimp,at our house is from the Gulf of Mexico.

It is always a good idea to support your local and domestic fisheries.  Mexican shrimp is equally suspect as the Asian variety.

It is always a good idea to support your local and domestic fisheries. .............

Yep, absolutely true.  That is why I will only eat good old genuine Iowa calamari.

It is always a good idea to support your local and domestic fisheries. .............

Yep, absolutely true.  That is why I will only eat good old genuine Iowa calamari.

Is that similar to a Rocky Mountain oyster?

Is that similar to a Rocky Mountain oyster?

Chittlins, actually.

To go along with the chain restaurant theme, I went to a local Salt Grass yesterday. It normally is very good for $$$, especially with the price of beef being higher than the Sears Tower.

The steak was awful, burned on one side, not even rare on the other, I have no idea how one could even do that. I called over the server, who called over the manager. he said "there is a problem with the steak?" I pointed to it and asked him "you are the manager what do you think?" He took one look at it and stated "that is no good, why don't you order another steak or  dessert on me?"

The server came by and told me the entire deal was on the house, no charge of any kind, not even a tip.

That is how you keep customers when things go bad, as they will. I've never had a bad meal there before, but the way I was so well treated made up for it.  Donner and Reba did not care a bit that the steak wasn't cooked correctly.

No weaseling, no whining, no question at all, no gift card, just I will make it right now.

That is how you keep customers when things go bad, as they will. I've never had a bad meal there before, but the way I was so well treated made up for it.  Donner and Reba did not care a bit that the steak wasn't cooked correctly.

No weaseling, no whining, no question at all, no gift card, just I will make it right now.

Very gracious of the manager, and also good on you for being gracious enough to allow them the opportunity to make it right.

I know restaurant staff make mistakes, but I've seen some ********* patrons that took a fixable situation and made it far worse for everybody.