Deer hunting vs. deer shooting

Will turn 75 this upcoming deer gun season.  First deer hunt was at age 11 with my grandfather who had a bad heart and needed a shooter, hunt amounted to stump sitting.  Believe it or not it worked even with the old 1" fork law and yes I was too young to buy a license.  Have hunted deer ever since, missed a year while in Korea, but hunted every year before and after.  Even when I started as a Warden hunting from an elevated device was illegal as was baiting in any manner.  Times changed deer hunters got to use elevated devices and after I retired even bait.  To hunt deer is a personal decision as long as it is legal it is up to the individual.  For me as age as taken its toll I still hunt deer, back to stump sitting.  The day I hunt over bait will be the last day I hunt deer.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• MAArcher

• garyRI

• Pinecobleguy

I'm coming in late to the party...

I have successfully hunted deer, and I have successfully harvested deer.  I feel there is indeed a difference.  I approve of both, as long as they are legal.

Hunting deer is getting out and walking and working and using your senses to find a deer before it finds you.  I've done it.  It's hard.

Harvesting deer is sitting on your butt with the benefit of bait, or shelter, and knowing the odds are greatly in your favor of whacking a deer.  I've done it.  It's fairly easy.

Sad truth is that still hunting deer means you are risking your life by walking around with unknown numbers of booger eating morons out there carrying rifles, and they will shoot at the first sign of movement, be it deer or man. They're out there, and they scare me. Where I harvest deer, I climb into a little 4x8 shack with a tin roof, sit comfortably out of sun and wind with my rifle propped on a sandbag, and wait until a doe appears in the pasture and I promptly let the air out of her with the barest minimum of ceremony, and within 3 hours she's cut up and on ice.  Not much different than going to the store and selecting what I want. It's not sporting, but it's effective.

Another truth is that our explodind deer populations require a larger and larger harvest, and bait and elevated stands and trail cameras make it easier for the masses to take their deer. It keeps the F&G happy, the auto insurers happy, and the deer harvesters happy.

Get out there and kill something, and do it legally.  Your method may not be my cup of tea, but it doesn't have to be.

Doe11-12-13_zps984fc147.jpg

Some folks aren't fully aware of the difficulty in sitting in a relatively open ground blind or tree stand for hours at a time in sub zero temperatures. Might be ambushing, but its harder than being on ones feet, still hunting or stalking in many respects...

the Cambridge Online Dictionary defines blood sport as "any sport that involves animals being killed or hurt to make the people watching or taking part feel excitement"
 We hunt we Kill game we feel Excitement that is the definition of a Blood Sport.  We do not hunt because we have to provide food to our family we hunt because we enjoy it and like it or not it is a Sport.

Hunting is about you pitting your skill against the animal you are hunting for I dont care what the animal is it is you against your prey period.

I could place a pile of apples in my back yard and sit watching tv until a deer came out to feed on them to you that is hunting to me that is nothing more then killing there is no hunting involved but according to you I filled my Natural Role in Life because I killed a animal to feed my family.  

Hunting is not always about killing it is always about enjoying the time spent outdoors in the hunt.  The end result of the hunt does not always have to be killing it is so much more then that.

We all know that you do not like the rules that are in places and it is your choice if you choose to follow them or not I am not going to tell you how to live your life.

We can always take the easy way out in life. We can always claim that the rules do not apply because they are contrary to what a person may believe but that does not make it right.  How you choose to spend your time is up to you.  I prefer to spend my time in the hunt and I will pit my skills against the prey I am hunting I do not feel the need to place a item out to gain the advantage ".... it's not supposed to always be easy."

You kill game the way you want I will hunt game the way I want because in the end we each have ethics we have to live with.

Again, proper English.  I am in fact subsistence hunting, by definition, not opinion.  The definition has no mention of being poor or not having access to a store.  

Your so very wrong if you believe I participate in blood sport.  I don't know how many deer I've killed when I didn't really want to (i.e. not fulfilling the "to feel excitement" requirement to be defined as blood sport).  I didn't want to drag them out of the woods on an 80 degree September day.  I didn't want to take the time to butcher them.  I didn't want to sit in the rain to begin with.  But I still hunted and killed because I wanted to fill the freezer.  No game.  No bloodsport.  Just subsistence hunting. (really just hunting, but because the word "hunting" has been bastardized to include "sport" we needed another term to differentiate and refer back to the original meaning.)

No, its not about a match of skill.  It includes a match of skill, but that's not what its about.  If it is for you, your are blood sporting and not hunting.  Gary, what you describe is the fat house cat who kills song birds for no other reason than left over primal need.  That is what most hunters have become.  But I have made a conscious decision to participate in nature by completing the entire act. I plan and scheme, I wait or chase, I kill, and then I eat.  In that one multi faceted act I am dependent on no man other than myself.  I take what's mine from nature as God intended (sorry for the religious reference but it fits right there.)   Its not a game any more than breathing is.  Certainly some aspects of it may feel like a game, but overall, it is not a game.  It is not a sport.

Yes, if game management says you are entitled to one deer and you kill it out your living room window over bait while watching TV, you've done something profoundly appropriate and integrated yourself back into the real world like unplugging from the Matrix.  You are now superior, more human, in my view than the guy who essentially paid an assassin and had dinner at McDonalds that night.  And yes, though your hunt was short, you did hunt as by the oldest definitions it simply means, from Proto-Germanic *huntojan (cognates: Gothic hinþan "to seize, capture."

Yes, hunting is more than killing.  I've never posted anything to the contrary.

I think you are saying I don't like laws.  I love good laws, but I absolutely abhor the bad ones born from ignorance, cowardice, stupidity, greed and a host of other nasty places.  

In this thread I'm not talking about any laws.  The article you posted indicated that there is a right way and a wrong way to kill a deer based on his ethics, a different type of rule.  And my argument is that his, and so many others, brand of ethics have no basis on fact, reality, long standing tradition, or train of logic.  They are ignorant and hypocritical.   Not nice to say, but based on fact, logic and reason, it is true.  That's not my opinion any more than its my opinion that 1 + 1 = 2.  

I don't care what set of self imposed ethics the guy hunts under, as long as he doesn't legislate that I be required to do so.

Some folks aren't fully aware of the difficulty in sitting in a relatively open ground blind or tree stand for hours at a time in sub zero temperatures. Might be ambushing, but its harder than being on ones feet, still hunting or stalking in many respects...

I became a much better deer hunter when I started hanging in trees with a bow (and without bait and without the use of game cameras).  Certainly more difficult than walking with a firearm and an army of orange pushing animals around the woods.  The former feels much more like hunting and the latter like harvesting.  But I'm fine with both.

And we have to ask that question because as it goes right now, almost 100 percent of the deer that are shot are taken from a tree stand

67% of all statistics are 35% made up.

I'm 90% sure I've heard that somewhere before.

I hunt birds, I harvest deer.  One I do for fun, the other I do for the meat.  Yeah the antlers are nice on the wall but I have a platform stand to be comfortable and seen by the others I hunt with.  I did stalk up and shoot two deer last year that way.  Was a big rush but only happened cause the deer didn't act like they should have and tried to circle around me.
Get out there and kill something, and do it legally.  Your method may not be my cup of tea, but it doesn't have to be.

I was thinking about this last night and agree 100%. Over the years I've successfully hunted deer by a number of methods and weapons. It actually has made deer hunting a lot more interesting.

There are a couple things that do bother me. One is someone who is willing to take shots that are as likely to wound a deer as to kill it. Another is someone who doesn't make every possible effort to retrieve what he shoots, even if that means tracking at night or coming back the following day. Other than that, if it's legal and you're satisfied with what you're doing, go for it.

I became a much better hunter when I started hanging in trees with a bow (and without bait and without the use of game cameras).

Several people have mentioned trail cameras and I'm wondering what the objection to them is. They certainly don't attract a deer to a stand and are actually more likely to make an old buck wary. I use them because I like to know what's out there, particularly in the way of exceptional bucks. I've let a lot of good bucks walk because of others I've seen on the camera.

I became a much better hunter when I started hanging in trees with a bow (and without bait and without the use of game cameras).

Several people have mentioned trail cameras and I'm wondering what the objection to them is. They certainly don't attract a deer to a stand and are actually more likely to make an old buck wary. I use them because I like to know what's out there, particularly in the way of exceptional bucks. I've let a lot of good bucks walk because of others I've seen on the camera.

I started using basic trail cams just this year. It's like opening a Christmas package every time you check a card. They show me generally whats walking by my stand or is in the area, and also if there is any predictable time when they show up. Otherwise they don't literally find me deer nor pull the trigger on my rifle or bow release.

There are some on the market now that will send you photos in real time to smart devices like phones and tablets. I would need to ponder that a bit.

Several people have mentioned trail cameras and I'm wondering what the objection to them is.

I don't use them because I feel the technology is in the field when I'm not, and that takes an unfair advantage of the game. Too, I just don't like relying on gadgetry very much.

A centerfire rifle is technology too, and so is my NASA-enabled dog tracker device that I use because I can't hear a bell or beeper anymore.  But they are acceptable to me.

I would never tell you to live by my standards.  I pass no judgment on you for using cameras or anything else that is legal.

Alluding to my post above, I think a lot of today's gadgetry would indeed be illegal were it not for our burgeoning deer populations.

I have no objection to them, just don't use them.

Interesting thread.  I've killed deer in so many different ways that I've probably forgot a few.  Use what works for you.  I quit bowhunting whitetails years ago because I thought stand hunting was boring.  It's the most effective method but boring as hell to me.

Final thought: If you think sitting in a stand is tough, you need to harden up.  Climbing a hill is tough, sitting is leisure time.

I'm coming in late to the party...

I have successfully hunted deer, and I have successfully harvested deer.  I feel there is indeed a difference.  I approve of both, as long as they are legal.

Hunting deer is getting out and walking and working and using your senses to find a deer before it finds you.  I've done it.  It's hard.

Harvesting deer is sitting on your butt with the benefit of bait, or shelter, and knowing the odds are greatly in your favor of whacking a deer.  I've done it.  It's fairly easy.

Sad truth is that still hunting deer means you are risking your life by walking around with unknown numbers of booger eating morons out there carrying rifles, and they will shoot at the first sign of movement, be it deer or man. They're out there, and they scare me. Where I harvest deer, I climb into a little 4x8 shack with a tin roof, sit comfortably out of sun and wind with my rifle propped on a sandbag, and wait until a doe appears in the pasture and I promptly let the air out of her with the barest minimum of ceremony, and within 3 hours she's cut up and on ice.  Not much different than going to the store and selecting what I want. It's not sporting, but it's effective.

Another truth is that our explodind deer populations require a larger and larger harvest, and bait and elevated stands and trail cameras make it easier for the masses to take their deer. It keeps the F&G happy, the auto insurers happy, and the deer harvesters happy.

Doe11-12-13_zps984fc147.jpg

Nice doe !  There was another pic I checked out yesterday with the big Kahuna sitt'n on  a nice buck!  That's all I can add  :)

There are a couple things that do bother me. One is someone who is willing to take shots that are as likely to wound a deer as to kill it. Another is someone who doesn't make every possible effort to retrieve what he shoots, even if that means tracking at night or coming back the following day. Other than that, if it's legal and you're satisfied with what you're doing, go for it.

X2