REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atticus

Scotch

casts_by_fly
You know there is a great little bar just down the street that has ~100 different bottles...

Rick

Oohh.  And we can walk there when I come for a little visit?

not quite that close.  it is 2 miles, but cabs are cheap and I'm sure I can find a DD.

rick

casts_by_fly

One of my all time favorites is Ardbeg. They make a lot of smokey, peaty, and spicy malts. Unfortunately their best, and in my opinion the best scotch ever, was called Alligator. There are a few bottles still floating around, but they are hard to come by. If you find one, spend the $300, and then invite me over. Until then, I'd recommend their Corryvreckan. The Ardbeg 10yr is damned good too.

You had me until you went to ardberg.  I thought i was reading one of my old posts.  The heaviest islay and i don't get along much more than once every 2-3 years.  i am highlands and speyside.

Rick

Come on, now. Ardbeg Alligator is (was) fantasic.

But thats the thing about scotch; like wine, you know it when you taste it, but they are all different.

Nothing wrong with Highland and Speyside malts. I often drink them. I like to keep a selection of various regions and flavor profiles on hand and drink them according to my mood. The Islay malts are more often than not a fall, winter, and early spring selection for me.

Truth be told, if I had to keep only one bottle it'd probably be a Balvenie (Triple Cask easily comes to mind) or Highland Park 18yr.

Incidentally, I just PMed you about something non-scotch related. But if you want to talk scotch, that's okay, too.

I don't know alligator, but the basic ardberg is just a bit too far for me.  Lagavulin is the same.  I can drink Laphroaig every now and then and I owned a bottle once, but haven't replaced it.  If I want to go peaty then I go to Bruichladdich.  Very peaty, but more complex than the other two.  The smoke isn't as dominant in the overall flavor profile.

Highland park 18 is a good shout for a life long drinker.  It might be mine too, though glengoyne 20 is pretty fantastic too.

I didn't see a PM come through.  Want to try and send it again?

thanks

rick

casts_by_fly

BTW, I am drinking Nikka right now.  Not all great whisky is scotch.  Yamazaki 18 is like an awesome 20 year old speysde.

rick

Flairball

Japanese Whisky is pretty good. Yamazaki 12 & 18 are nice. I toured the Yamazaki distillery in Osaka a few years ago. Very enjoyable.

Hakushyu is another of my favorites. A bit peatier than the others.

I'll try PMing you again in a bit. It was hot here, yesterday, so I was in the gin n tonic when I PMed. I'll need to dig around in my memory for the contents.

FlyChamps

I'll try PMing you again in a bit. It was hot here, yesterday, so I was in the gin n tonic when I PMed. I'll need to dig around in my memory for the contents.

Larry, if it was sufficient gin and tonic then you, like me, may not have much memory to dig around in cheers1.gif

PS, I like my Scotch peaty, very peaty.

atticus

Thanks for all the very good information guys!  I knew I would get quality advice from the lushes.....er....experts here!

After much deliberation I dove in today and bought a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year.  I had a moment of indecision with the Scapa 16 which was also on sale, but having tried a Balvenie before and costing 15 bucks less sealed the deal (I spent the savings on a bottle of Irish Mist).

I hope I like it, but at $53 it didn't break the bank and several experts are expected in Vermont this fall who can benefit from it too.

Thanks again and cheers!

12-Doublewood.jpg

River19
Great I now need to start a scotch drinking habit....... :cool:

atticus
There will be plenty of other libations at camp too!  Heading up Wednesday night.

casts_by_fly

Good choice.  Doublewood is a nice easy drinker for scotch with enough flavor to keep you interested.

thanks

rick

grousehunter 61
I like all the scotches listed and have drank most of them, but for a low cost not bad drinking try the Famous Grouse or the Black Grouse. Those of use on a fixed income have to tone down our pleasures and these fit right in.

GB Jack
Don't ignore dewars 12, it truly is pretty good, and amazing for the money

PartridgeCartridge

Somewhere in the anals of UJ hunting trip postings I posted a pic of Tim's Jap scotch bottle, a bag of diapers for Rigby in heat and a fine walnut  blank for a new Fox shotgun.

Those were the days....

Brad Adrian
Somewhere in the anals of UJ hunting trip postings I posted a pic of Tim's Jap scotch bottle, a bag of diapers for Rigby in heat and a fine walnut  blank for a new Fox shotgun.

Those were the days....

x2. BTW, scotch sux

Flairball
BTW, scotch sux

Well, we all know there is no accounting for taste, or in this case, lack thereof.  :p

Briarscratch
I'm not a fan of the heavy, peaty single malts - they taste like creosote marinated in kerosene to me.  On the other hand, I'd punch a nun to get a bottle of Glenfiddich 18.    A friend brought a small bottle to card night and man, that was some fine-ass nectar.