REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atticus

Scotch

Old Colonel
Famous Grouse when the birds are cleaned, guns swabbed and polished, boots are upside down on the dryer, wet Barbour hung up, Labs happily snoozing by the fire at the pub, and old friends to have a cigar with.

Grange
I bought a bottle of Glenfiddich Select Cask on vacation, but haven't opened it up yet.  Waiting to bring it over to my sister's place for Thanksgiving.  I recently opened up a bottle of Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish whiskey.  Not a big fan. Reminds me of a few types of Johnny Walker, which has a "Listerine" type taste.

Cooper Hill Hunter
Scotch? Irish? Give me fifth of the Lord, an auto and tradition be damned.  :)

DennisMcFeely
Scotch? Irish? Give me fifth of the Lord,

What is a fifth of the Lord?

Cooper Hill Hunter

]

images_zps1e454295.jpg

Notice the Dutch Partridge Dog.  Haha  :)

MAArcher
I must be pretty low brow.  I'm perfectly happy with some Dewar's on the rocks and time enough to drink it in peace.

jkingrph

There are so many out there and many are totally out of my price range.   I generally prefer The Famous Grouse, and if I spot some I pick up a bottle of Scorsby, which is usually $15-18 less than a similar 1.5 L bottle of the Grouse.  I have tried a couple of odd ones on a whim, Pigs Nose, and Sheep Dip  and actually found the better than one of the one's starting with Lap  something that my son got me last year, which tasted more like asphalt.  

Scotch is usually my preferred drink but if I could consistently fine Armanac  I would dump the scotch in a minute.

DennisMcFeely
time enough to drink it in peace.

amen, that's a different thread entirely.

Slowpokebill

Dewar's on the rocks and time enough to drink it in peace.

having time enough to drink in peace is why God blessed up with cigars.

A decent cigar is an hour to two hour project. Most woman folk and children hate second hand cigar smoke and will avoid it like the plague. Therefore, lighting up a nice cigar gives you an hour or two to be alone or with a like minded fellows and maybe a bird dog or two. It is where the tradition of gentleman excusing themselves from the women at the end of  dinner came from. We excuse ourselves and move to the Library or in my case the back patio to enjoy our cigars, whisky and time enough to relax.

131524144.Pio20APw.NewYearsEve2010OpusX.

casts_by_fly

I picked up 2 more bottles this past weekend to fill out my collection a bit more.  I used to have a bunch of bottles, but slowly drank them down and never replaced them.  Now that I'm not training for a half marathon, I can drink some scotch now and then so I am building the collection back up.

The two 'new' bottles are not new to me, but I haven't drank them in a while and never owned full bottles of them.  The first is Glenfarclas 12.  This is a basic Speyside 12 year old.  It is sherry matured, so has a good fruitiness, fair amount of malt, and a hint of peat.  It is halfway between an aberlour (big, sweet, fruity) and glenlivet (grain, malty, peaty).  I think it is a nice balance of the two.  It is pretty smooth for a 12 year old, better than both aberlour 12 and glenlivet 12, though also pricier.

The second is a bottle I have meant to buy for a while now and I might have to go get another as they are still on sale.  It is Aberlour A'bunadh.  This is a cask strength (60.6% in this case), 16 year old Speyside matured in sherry butts and bottled at full strength with no filtering.  Make no mistake, this is a huge scotch.  The flavor is intense with loads of fruit, sweetness, caramel, and oak.  If you have never had cask strength before, go slow.  The flavor is big enough to mask the alcohol until you swallow and then it hits you.  A touch of water doesn't go amiss, but not a whole lot or you lose the intensity of flavor.  This bottle is definitely a favorite for me, and at the price (I bought the bottle for 35 GBP, or roughly $60) it is the best value is cask strength scotch.  If you see a bottle for $75 or under, grab it.  A'bunadh is limited production and the quantity varies each year, so when the batch is gone, it is gone.

thanks

rick

casts_by_fly

I also forgot to mention.  If there are any scotch lovers on facebook, there is a private group called 'scotch addicts' where there is a bit of good discussion and tons of expertise.  If you're interested, PM me and I can send you an invitation.

thanks

rick