Scotch

DennisMcFeely

Why waste you time and money Billy. Walk past the Scotch and go right to the Irish. :D

+1

There's a bright lad for ya.

stwPWvI.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• casts_by_fly

• Flairball

• Slowpokebill

• DennisMcFeely

but for a low cost not bad drinking try the Famous Grouse or the Black Grouse. Those of use on a fixed income have to tone down our pleasures and these fit right in.

--------------

Don't ignore dewars 12, it truly is pretty good, and amazing for the money

I like Famous Grouse and am currently working on a bottle of Dewars 12 right now.  Every once in a while Glenlivit is "affordably" priced and I'll indulge.  Some years back I came across what passed for a sale on "The Dalmore" and bought a bottle.  I quite enjoyed it but when I went back to get me a reserve, there were only two left.  I have one remaining bottle hidden for some special occasion or visit.

Clan McGreggor in the fancy green jug.  Or Ol Smuggler

Clan McGreggor not half bad on the rocks, bit rough to drink neat.  Needs the water from the ice to open it's flavor a bit.  So I say you convinced me, I'm having a glass now wondering if the back injury I sustained last night will cost me the season or not.  Easier to contemplate with a glass of scotch.  So bottoms up. . . . .

Atticus---welcome back to the world of single malts.  There are many great suggestions here covering a range of tastes.  Already mentioned but a great scotch cutting across various taste preferences is the Abelour 16......pure nectar and very smooth to match its golden color.
I don't know a single malt scotch from a strawberry malt, but have you guys heard of "Oban?"  A friend seems to enjoy it.
Slowpokebill

I don't know a single malt scotch from a strawberry malt, but have you guys heard of "Oban?"  A friend seems to enjoy it.

I've heard of Oban. Thirty plus years ago it was my Scotch of choice, not because it was good, but because it was dirt cheap. It could be had for several dollars less than blends like Johnny Walker Red Label and Dewars. Back then it came in a kind of funky diamond shaped bottle. It was drinkable but not great.

When UDV picked it as one of their Classic Malt Selection the price pretty much tripled but it is still only a just okay single malt. They are better Highland malts at Oban's price point.

I've heard of Oban. Thirty plus years ago it was my Scotch of choice, not because it was good, but because it was dirt cheap. It could be had for several dollars less than blends like Johnny Walker Red Label and Dewars. Back then it came in a kind of funky diamond shaped bottle. It was drinkable but not great.

When UDV picked it as one of their Classic Malt Selection the price pretty much tripled but it is still only a just okay single malt. They are better Highland malts at Oban's price point.

Same for me. A friend of mine that knew I liked scotch recommended Oban. I tried a bottle. It was good but there are others I prefer for the price.

Same for me. A friend of mine that knew I liked scotch recommended Oban. I tried a bottle. It was good but there are others I prefer for the price.

Agree. I think Oban is over rated. It doesn't suck, and I will drink it once in a while. I even have a bottle of the 18 yr right now, as the wife likes it. But I won't miss it if we never replace this bottle.

That said, some of the Oban Distillers Editions have been outstanding. Their DE 1993 was delicious, and was their 1996. I'd buy either of them again without a thought. If you have a chance to try one of their DEs, I recommend it.

Why waste you time and money Billy. Walk past the Scotch and go right to the Irish. :D

+1

There's a bright lad for ya.

stwPWvI.jpg

Asked for the price of a shot of Middleton's Rare in Dublin...at 90 Euro +/- it was too steep for me, well too steep for my wife.  So they offered Powers instead.

It was a great revelation to me.  An excellent Irish whiskey.

speaking of Irish.  I was given a bottle of Red breast!!

not an evryday swill due to cost, but worth every penny spent!

Used to drink Scotch, drifted away from it to brandy and bourbon and now thinking returning to Scotch sure have received an education.  Thanks, I think!
shoot-straight

Just started with scotch. Went to Glenlivet first. I like it. Tried a cheaper brand called glenn ness. I like that even better but can't find it locally. Got some johnny Walker black tonight. Its OK, but I think its got a bit of a rubbing alcohol at the finish in my opinion.

Gonna get a bottle of famous grouse for our trip to maine . give that a try.

Not that I'm cheap, but no way I'm paying over 40$ or so for a bottle on a regular basis. I soils love to try some of the "better" ones though and continue my education.

After wading through 4 pages of opinions, I'd like to toss my thought into the ring; spring for a bottle of Midleton.  An Irish blend, but well worth the money.
Not that I'm cheap, but no way I'm paying over 40$ or so for a bottle on a regular basis.

That's what you say now. Give it time.

Next year when this topic pops up again, I'm guessing that you'll have all kinds of recommendations in the $50 to $60 range.  :laugh:

I've drunk enough Tomatin to float the battleship Missouri, I find it to be reasonably drinkable and cost effective.For the twelve year old. The 25 year old was not worth the extra money. All year classes of the Glenlivet and Glennfiddich are decent. Abelour A'bunadh is one of my favorites when I can find it. Buchannan 18 year old is great. Got my son to try Laphroig and his comment was much like mine, that it was like drinking liquid smoke. Scotches are much like women and bird dogs thank god not everyone like the same one. sdgord