Who is done and who is still at it?

Firearm season in ME ended last Saturday and I was in NY city...the muzzleloader season runs til the 6th in my camp zone and until Dec 13th in home areas. Also the expanded bow season runs until Dev 13th as well.

Yup I have the smoke pole loaded and am heading out with bow this afternoon with Scott.

Look see what was on my trail camera a few hundred yards behind my house under my ladder stand while I was away for TGiving...

Now that's some motivation.

post-18-16734-image.jpg.37944a9facdd157d

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• M. R. Byrd

• valuman

• max2

...and Im not picky. Little forkhorn here made an appearance as well...

post-18-16803-image.jpg.987109b38a051d66

We still have second firearm season of a split 7 day season starting this Thursday here in IL and then ML season the following week for 3 days. Topped off with a late firearms deer season starting the end of December, again a split season and not open in all counties. These are firearms seasons with restrictions on shotgun/ML and handgun. Our archery season runs to the middle of January but after the first firearms season the week before Thanksgiving archery deer get pretty hard to come by. Sounds like a lot of deer hunting to be had in IL but the truth is unless a hunter has access to private land there is no way possible to take advantage of all these deer season. Public land is on a lottery for firearms hunting although archery season is open to all comers on public land.  

About a month to go still for deer hunting in IL. So far this year  I've been a virgin and have passed up some shots on smaller deer

Virgil

We can hunt deer and bear in my area til jan 3. I have 1 either sex tag, 2 antlerless, left but can buy 6 more antlerless for $18. I will fill my current tags when it's colder hopefully with nice sized does.
I've put one big doe in the freezer so far.  Going after another (or more) the end of this week.  We have an urban archery season here so I've got until mid-March to fill my freezer.  WC just started and we have been concentrating on them right now.

NH firearms season ends Sunday 12-07-14

Still haven't see this guy.

Theeightunderlickingbranch11-23-14.jpg

Or these two

Doeandfawn11-22-14.jpg

First fisher on camera.

Fisher11-21-14.jpg

I am really looking forward to the end of deer season. I want to bird hunt.

Pulled all my gear out of the woods last weekend but I will head out to a few places this coming provided I am not at work to end the season.  I have yet to see brown in the woods have seen plenty of other things but no deer.  My buddy has seen the deer and was not ready for them but he is new at this game so I dont hold it against him :D

In our backyard we have a doe, her doe yearling and a spikey yearling. That's it. Rifle season is over. And I let them go. I may pick one off with my crossbow. Dear Wife likes venison.

There a many fewer deer in the UP. Lower Michigan, shotgun country, has some really nice deer. In our area, NE LP, the population is down significantly.

They are logging, popple, quite actively in our area and we have had quite a few hunters on state land. Ir will help the grouse in a couple of years. We have over 600,000 deer hunters in Michigan. So, a lot of deer are taken.

I'm 50 miles south of Mac and deer are one thing we have way too many of this year. They ate all my flowers and my hostas this past summer for the first time in 26 years of living here. I live on a lake and I think a lot of people feed them around here, draws them in from the ag areas, which get hit hard every year with damage permits. I think the new antler restrictions mean there's a lot more deer around here. Car-deer accidents have been WAY up, the Sheriff's Office tells me.

As Mac said, firearms ended Sunday, it ended last Wednesday for me, as we were away for the weekend. I have a friend whose wife has pretty severe lupus and isn't supposed to eat much beef + they're flat broke and trying to raise a teenaged girl, so I hunt deer for them. I hate deer hunting. I took a nice doe a week ago tonight, and my friend has taken two does, plus the CO, who's a good friend of mine, dropped off two illegal deer at his house, so his freezer is pretty full.

There's an 8 point still running around here, but he's been laying pretty low for the last couple of weeks. My buddy saw him the other night, tho, so we know he's still alive. He may go for that buck during the muzzleloading season, which opens the 10th, if we don't have 3 feet of snow on the ground. Neither one of us bowhunts.

I'll take the smoke pole in the woods this weekend to support my campmates, but I'd rather switch back to bird hunting at this point in the season. There just aren't that many days left until the end of December.

11:30 opening day NY

6 point 16.5 inside spread 164 dressed weight no brow tines . Thought it was an 8 point but had no brow tines. Not a hint.

8a2eefbe-cbee-467d-ae8b-a07b72083ede_zps

11:30 opening day NY

6 point 16.5 inside spread 164 dressed weight no brow tines . Thought it was an 8 point but had no brow tines. Not a hint.

8a2eefbe-cbee-467d-ae8b-a07b72083ede_zps

Thats a fine buck in my book. Id be proud. Nice.

I expected my season to be over yesterday but despite the rumors that Ohio has Booners behind every tree, that didn't happen. Looks like I'll be hunting Saturday and Sunday. I hunt about 90% because I enjoy it, and 10% because of the meat. This weekend will be largely the 10% part.
Took a nice doe with the muzzeloader yesterday.The snow was very crunchy for walking.Still have NJ buck/bear season next week. Pa. is open for 2 weeks yet and 11 more days of Nj muzzleloader.I have a doe in the icebox from archery and hope to take another yet.I have a new 5-7 pound sausage stuffer in transit and a box of spices and casings to make some goodies. Just got some pork for mixing.