Who is done and who is still at it?

My deer season was over about 2 hours into the first day of the modern gun season.  A 6 point buck walked out and gave me a walking 60 yard shot.  He ran less than 100 yards, crossing a 5 strand barbed wire fence and falling deep in a thicket in the process.  I guess he got a last bit of revenge before expiring.

After tussling with him and the thicket and getting him back to clear and level ground, I was fumbling with my little pack, trying to locate an ink pen.  While rummaging and making a commotion, I looked up and saw a doe staring back at me.  I told her if she'd hold still, I'd add her to the pile.  She did, and I did.

Dragging and processing two deer in one day is hard on the back.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• M. R. Byrd

• valuman

• max2

My son and I are still looking for Mr. Right.  We spent all day in our blind across the street on Monday's gun opener waiting on the 12 point to come back.  I mucked up and did not get a bow shot off on him when he walked in on me two weeks ago, made to much noise.  I took a vacation day and the son gets an excused absence from school for Ohio's deer gun opener.  Anyway we froze our rears off all day for nothing and the wife called up yesterday at 8:30 am and said Bullwinkle and 6 doe were across the street right in front of our blind.  I hope he makes it through the week so we can hunt him again on the weekend.  I have him on trail cam last year as a thin 10 point, now he is a thick 12.  Pretty sure it is the same deer.
I have two in the freezer but I'm still at it.  If I get three then I don't have to buy any beef all year.  I have one weekend of NH gun season and two unit M doe tags to use.  I also have MA muzzleloader the later half of this month.  So I think I have about 7 days that I can get out between now and when the fat lady sings.  I wish I'd get another one ASAP so I can concentrate on getting a couple ducks for the dog.
We were done opening morning with 5. which was nice as we had a 16" snow fall the day after. Fortunately I had taken a couple of days off to hunt. Processed deer and moved snow for three days. There is not enough ibuprofin in the world to help with that back ache.

Firearms season opened today in Kansas. Cold and breezy(35mph). The  whitetail population in my area is 15 to 20%(my estimate) of the levels from a few years ago. I used to see 50 to 60 around my place, now maybe six to ten. Only a few decent bucks have showed up on the trail cams and all at night. I haven't seen any mule deer or elk at my place the last two years.

Going to be a tough hunt this year.

northern_hunting_mom
All 4 of us will be going on a family hunt this weekend. 3 in the freezer and more will never be wasted.

Here's my 2013 buck. Also no brow tines. Thought it was a 10 as it had 4 on one side that was facing me. I was not a member when the 2013's were posted. It is a solid 7 with broke off main beam section. We have antler restriction in place where I hunt. I guess it is working.

100_0525_zps44b3e3fc.jpg

Filled my doe tag with a nice whitetail on the second day of the early plains season here in Colorado.

Saw a really nice whitetail buck and a couple of smaller muley bucks, but with an antlerless tag I couldn't shoot.

Really fun hunting in an area that had both species of deer.

It was the first time I had deer hunted in this area,  think I'll apply for a buck tag in the same area next season!

No trail-cam pic's, but still have my upcoming Nevada late Archey hunt coming up (16th)...Migration hunt on the CA/NV border!

Time is running out for my second deer. More ridiculous rain, snow, wind sleet and ice storm dominating the state of ME this week. Isn't supposed to clear til Friday. This isn't the "Ill throw on some rain gear and stick it out on stand" conditions. It's miserable.

Time and weather permitting I hope to do a bow stand in expanded zone Friday aft and put in most of Saturday "out back" with muzzleloader. If darkness envelopes me late Saturday aft with no deer on ground or hanging then Ill be thankful for the big bow doe and be done with it!

Two deer have been taken out of our camp this season, both were first deer for the successful hunters. One of those guys is my 24 y.o. son, who took a nice, high four pointer that weighed in at 137#. I think I might have been happier than he was. :)

With crappy conditions for walking last weekend, we had a mature buck playing hopscotch around us but no chances were offered.  At least three guys expect to be in the woods this weekend for our last chance at him and no matter what the outcome we'll have a terrific weekend at camp.

Threw one back this afternoon on my last bowhunt. Expanded archery season and muzzleloader seasons ends tomorrow and Im toting the Mzl.

Lamb, skipper, 'this years model' hustled through in front of my stand and stopped to look over its shoulder, 15-18 yards directly in front if me in a wide open spot, with snow as a background, an hour before end of legal light. A slam bam slam dam dunk if there ever was one.

I let what I now think was a button buck pass in hopes whatever he was looking back at would arrive; his big momma doe or better a small or big buck. 2 mature does and a couple more skippers did pass through but out of my range but into Scott's arrow. Unfortunately the doe he shot at jumped the string and he shaved hair off her back, nothing on arrow and not a spot of blood on the snow.

I'm conflicted on whether I should have killed that small deer. I have a doe or anterless tag and it would have been perfectly legal. We would have utilized the meat. Oh well, maybe this will be rewarded tomorrow with muzzleloader.

Still at it here in Kansas.

My youngest son was back last weekend to fill his tag and didn't. Now my oldest son is here to fill his and we are in a dense fog. Not used to this in western Kansas. Between not so favorable hunting conditions and a deer population that is way down, it is going to be tough to put a tag on a wall hanger this year. Not even many doe available.

I did stop in the fog to take a picture of some quail and after a few minutes of sitting there taking pictures, these pheasants come from behind me and land in the weeds.

IMG_3870_zps3c661bb8.jpg