Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Best Retirement Jobs

fuess
Wal Mart greeter?

I dont think they exist anymore

DAP
Moderating an on-line message board where they discuss hunting, fishing and shooting?

tclprin

Wal Mart greeter?

LOL..I used to say that too! Then WM did away with them for awhile!

Dogwood
A friend's wife works part-time at the local airport and as a benefit receives deeply discounted-free airfare which in turn they use to travel extensively.  Don't know what she does exactly.  I ain't cleaning no public rest rooms, I'll tell you that!  Not happening.  Nope.

Craig Doherty
Train a few dogs, guide a few bird hunters, write few,articles.  Wintering in KY home the rest of the year.

Hunshatt
my current gig.. being the unpaid kennel boy for a major intenet outdoor  icon, and former member of the academic intelligencia  keeps me occupied .. though .. it may be time to discuss an increase in my compensation package

fuess
my current gig.. being the unpaid kennel boy for a major intenet outdoor  icon, and former member of the academic intelligencia  keeps me occupied .. though .. it may be time to discuss an increase in my compensation package

Guess you want hot cereal in the am?

Hunshatt
more/better scotch at night

Runningdog
Was hoping to get a part-time job packing groceries for U guys ladies while U all are out in the field and stream... :D

Dogwood
Was hoping to get a part-time job packing groceries for U guys ladies while U all are out in the field and stream... :D

I do that now.  It's called a house call.

Craig Doherty
more/better scotch at night

Gee, I thought the 18 year old Glenlivet that we had at the end of the season wasn't that bad a bottle!!  ???

Chukarman

I spent most of my career in the high tech business in Silicon Valley. Started a few companies. Was it fun? Yes. Time Consuming and stressful? Yes. I called in gone in 2002. Did nothing but fishing/hunting/whatever for a couple years.

I found that I needed something to engage my brain when I got up in the morning, so in 2004 I started AutoHomeUSA and have owned/run this company for the past 10+ years. I organized so that I have a contact warehouse/shipping operation and a full time/part time commissioned sales person, who is excellent. Keeps me just busy enough and allows me a lot of time off. Pays for a lot of travel, trucks and camping equipment, etc.  I have finally, after many, many years, found some balance.

2543Montana_9-06-LO.jpg

bigjohnsd

I've enjoyed refinishing a few gun stocks, driving cars and trucks around the country for car dealers and installing windshields on bikes in Sturgis and Daytona.

My dream job was to be a roving QC inspector for various Nevada brothels but my wife nixed that.

settem

As a financial adviser, i see this all the time, and deal with it all the time.

The difference i see, having to work or wanting to work!

Financial independence is met when your unearned income meets or exceeds your earned income, then you work because you want to, not because you have to!

SO save enough so you have the choice, then it will not matter!  You may try something you never imagined!

I think we have disagreed on this before :D , but my experience has been that you do not need near as much as you think.

I have been retired since '08 and am comfortable on considerably less than I was earning in my working days. If I had worked until I equaled my take home pay I would probably have worked till I was 80 or beyond.

I guess everyone's idea of "enough" is different.

fuess
As a financial adviser, i see this all the time, and deal with it all the time.

The difference i see, having to work or wanting to work!

Financial independence is met when your unearned income meets or exceeds your earned income, then you work because you want to, not because you have to!

SO save enough so you have the choice, then it will not matter!  You may try something you never imagined!

I think we have disagreed on this before :D , but my experience has been that you do not need near as much as you think.

I have been retired since '08 and am comfortable on considerably less than I was earning in my working days. If I had worked until I equaled my take home pay I would probably have worked till I was 80 or beyond.

I guess everyone's idea of "enough" is different.

Everyone has a different "number"

It also matters on talking about needs vs wants.  I assume you lived well below your wants, and saved for your needs, which is rare and commendable!  My suggestions are just a measure to assist or a goal, not a set in stone rule.

Congrats to you on successful retirement.