REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Best Retirement Jobs

braque du upstate
couple of my dad's friends drive school buses. not my bag, but they seem to really enjoy it.

FlyChamps

couple of my dad's friends drive school buses. not my bag, but they seem to really enjoy it.

Not only no but HELL no!

I'm 66 and would kill the little bastards.

When I was 16 I got my school bus drivers license here in SC and drove my junior year in HS as a substitute driver.  I drove as a regular bus driver my senior year.

I served my penance - never again!

Beside that it has regular hours and days you have to work - being self-employed I can switch my hours and days around so that I can do most of what I want, even during tax season.

Larry Brown
A flexible schedule, especially during bird season, is a HUGE plus for a retirement job.  My last college teaching job, where I was able to arrange it so I had afternoons off, was great because the local bird hunting (pheasants) was excellent.  Also had the entire week of T'giving off, plus a long Christmas break.  (Woops, Winter Break.  Christmas is not PC!)  But out of state trips other than during those breaks were quite limited.

shinbone

If a person needs a retirement job, then he isn't ready for retirement.

JMHO

settem

Have deferred taking SS for now, will probably wait until at least age 67.

Big John I just can't make the math work out for deferring the SS.

Got any words of wisdom?

Fuess?

Tiger MT's Carter

JMHO

Some people retire and then realize they miss being stay in the game. I know a few who went back to work and they sure as heck don’t need the money.

Rockdoc

What with being laid off in the beginning of 2009 and losing everything including my loving wife to cancer in 2011, for all practical purposes I can’t afford to retire. Yet here I am retired and actually enjoying myself too much to even want to go back to work full time, and believe me I loved the work I did. Living in my RV like I do doesn’t take much money. By living frugally I can enjoy the sun and warm southern weather during the winter, I head north in the summer and hunt in the fall. I pay for my few expenses not covered by social security doing geological consulting and writing, which I enjoy. Even this year, which I’ve already been told will be financially bleak, should be fun with my scaled back itinerary. Life’s good.

As a side benefit, by having time to hike, hunt, fish, explore and by preparing my own meals instead of constantly eating out I’m healthier than I’ve been in years. I’ve lost 85lbs and for the first time in thirty years I’m no longer taking any prescription meds at all. To hell with work!

Steve

Tim Frazier

A good read guys!

We live off of about 60% of my net income right now, an that's with a mortgage that will be paid off before I retire.  My wife will still be working as she just started teaching full time after 20 years of being a mom.

I get a little miffed that both my state and federal retirements strongly penalize retirement in your 50s, as compared to just a few years ago,but we should be able to delay taking any benefits for several years if we reach our goals over the next 7-8.  I also have no problem working a couple days a week if need be, as long as I can control what days those are.

I enjoy living under my means and as I get older I seem to enjoy it even more.  I'm pretty easy to please!

fuess

Got any words of wisdom?

Fuess?

The bet here is you live longer than the actuary tables suggest.

I support taking early and banking the money.  If you kick early, you got some of the SS income.

I thnk the break even is 14 yrs, but not sure.  Been a while since I ran the numbers,

fuess

Got any words of wisdom?

Fuess?

I support taking early and banking the money.  If you kick early, you got some of the SS income.

I thnk the break even is 14 yrs, but not sure.  Been a while since I ran the numbers,

Here you go

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10147.pdf

shinbone

JMHO

Some people retire and then realize they miss being stay in the game. I know a few who went back to work and they sure as heck don’t need the money.

Exactly.  If you need the money or you need the excitement/need to feel needed/whatever, what is the point of retiring?

fuess

Got any words of wisdom?

Fuess?

Here you go

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10147.pdf

Not counting any tax issues or investment return, in the example from the example from the SSI link.  Take at 62 and get 750/mo.  Wait till 67 and get 1080/mo.

Breakeven is 11.4 yrs.

Moral of the story, everyones situation is different, so there is no one suggestion or answerthat is correct.

Gunflint Charlie

JMHO

Exactly.  If you need the money or you need the excitement/need to feel needed/whatever, what is the point of retiring?

Working part time to satisfy a need for some but less than full-time earned income. Enjoying the social aspect of work, at a lower stress job. Enjoying more free time for leisure activities. Sleeping later.

Not my choice, but a couple of my friends are doing this and enjoying life a lot more than before they semi-retired.

Jay

Huntschool

I dont know but perhaps I am like Greg or whatever.....  I retired and went back to work 60 days later....  required time out according to our retirement system.  I like what I do and so "working" is really not a chore.  At retirement I had almost zero debt save for vehicle payment.

I am carrying a low credit hour teaching load and consulting work which leaves time for wife and I to do what I/we want.  My retirement anuity is strong....  I maxed out so between that, a shortfall SS payment (caused by my anuity) and my current employment salary I am making more then before I retired but working much less.  I like that.

Additionally, I have real property, some of which I may divest based on contract sale which will allow even greater income to do the things I want to do if I can live long enough.

I can not say this did not happen with out a plan and some luck, but it did.  I do not plan on working forever.  Perhaps another 3 years or so and that will be it.  I will have been able to increas my cash holdings even more.  I am a happy camper. Just wish my health were better.

Kansas Big Dog
What with being laid off in the beginning of 2009 and losing everything including my loving wife to cancer in 2011, for all practical purposes I can’t afford to retire. Yet here I am retired and actually enjoying myself too much to even want to go back to work full time, and believe me I loved the work I did. Living in my RV like I do doesn’t take much money. By living frugally I can enjoy the sun and warm southern weather during the winter, I head north in the summer and hunt in the fall. I pay for my few expenses not covered by social security doing geological consulting and writing, which I enjoy. Even this year, which I’ve already been told will be financially bleak, should be fun with my scaled back itinerary. Life’s good.

As a side benefit, by having time to hike, hunt, fish, explore and by preparing my own meals instead of constantly eating out I’m healthier than I’ve been in years. I’ve lost 85lbs and for the first time in thirty years I’m no longer taking any prescription meds at all. To hell with work!

Steve

I am in a similar situation.  Lost most of what I had earned when I got divorced a few years back. I do have fixed monthly income, and have started a small organic produce operation last year. It was successful, so we are planning on expanding this year.  But, like Rockdoc, try to live very frugally.  Still manage to hunt from Sept. to Feb. each year everyday I want.  The weather is forecasted to be very nice, so I will probably be bird hunting everyday until the weather changes, or the end of January.