REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Best Retirement Jobs

Larry Brown

Concerning when to start taking SS:  My dad was more or less my model.  He retired from John Deere at 62, started drawing SS immediately.  Said he'd seen too many guys walk out the door at 65, die within a year or two.  In his case, he'd had a part time job selling advertising specialties for years.  Worked harder at it after he retired (because he really liked it), and ended up making so much money he had to stop working or risk losing part of his SS.  (There's an income limit if you take your SS early.)

On taking it early, my thoughts ran this way:  Can I enjoy that money more now, when I'm 62, or when I'm 82?  That's assuming I live to be 82--and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do a lot of the things then that I enjoy doing now.  It does end up costing you $ if you live past something like your late 70's, but you'll likely have reduced expenses then as well.  (Not factoring in nursing home, however.)  The fact that I have minimal concerns with health insurance, as retired military, also factored into my decision.

Chris Raymond
I don't ever see myself fully retiring...I would go batshit crazy.  I just turned 49 and am starting a few things now that, if they continue and grow, will be great diversions if and or when I step out of the game.  The desire for the flexibility to come and go as I please however is very strong.

irish Eyes

Be careful of your financial planner. Our first one told us we would be broke in three years. Now 13 years into retirement and we haven't touched our IRA yet. In fact we have saved money from my pension and SS.

I don't miss work at all, had a very stressful job. Now I am content to turn blended Canadian whiskey into urine. It doesn't pay well but someone has to do it.

Brad Eden
... I just turned 49 ...

I thought you were older than that given your curmudgeonishness.

gunsrus
When your daughter is your financial planner you don't have to have a retirement job . :laugh:

Larry Brown
Nor when your wife is your IRA! :)

Chris Raymond
... I just turned 49 ...

I thought you were older than that given your curmudgeonishness.

So I've been told.  ;-)

Brad Hire
Nor when your wife is your IRA! :)

You call her your IRA, but what does she call you?  

Considering the age difference, and your age, I bet she has your last hunt covered.  :)  

Probably the best post-retirement gig I can think of.

Dogwood

I work 3/4 time, 55 years old.  When I shoot at our local club I hang out with mostly retired guys.  Generally they putz around during the week. You can tell they're slippin'. OMG.  Terrifying.  I run back to the office.  Of course it's my office; sold my practice downstate, moved to N. MI, tried working part-time for another vet.  OMG.  Terrifying.  Bought another practice, call my own shots.  Advice:  Try your own small business.  

With good health I can't imagine feeling any differently at 65 or 75.  I think it's a rare person that can stay sharp and engaged without meaningful work, and I'm not one of them.

mshowman
Advice:  Try your own small business.  

I totally agree. I have no interest in doing what I've done for the past 34 years but I do want to stay active and engaged in something. In my case I may try a small carpentry type repair business. I already have the knowledge and tools. The only thing I need to invest in is insurance.

Rather than wondering what job is best, I think the better question (for me anyway) is what I want from the job. I know I was flexible hours/days/seasons, limited commitment and something that I enjoy. I want to work with my hands (the past 30 years have been behind a desk) but nothing too taxing on a 60+ year old body. It's important that I have fun with whatever I do.

We recently purchased a lot in a small development where we hope to build a retirement home. It's in a laid back area with a fair number of retirees and about as many vacation homes. Nearby are four other small developments and it is located far enough south that winter weather isn't an issue. My wife commented that I needed to deck out a golf cart to use as a service vehicle. Sounded good to me so I started the design: 4WD, aluminum mag wheels, tool boxes on the back and surf rod holders on the front. I might even put a hitch on the back to haul a kayak trailer. Why do I think this business is not going to bring in a ton of money!

bobman

I am amazed at what people will pay to have dogs , just pets not bird dogs, obedience trained.

I am leaning toward that because it doesn't require anything more than some kennels and a couple acres.

And I could just not take any on during hunting season.

Dick Sellers

After a great 25 year stint in Alaska, I was starting to think about retirement somewhere in the lower 48.  A friend mentioned that he knew of a "situation" care-taking an 8,000 acre ranch in Montana.  No pay, but a free house to live in with utilities covered.  The house needed some remodeling and I took on some other unpaid chores (controlling invasive weeds, cleaning up some abandoned fencing etc.).  But basically my time was my own.  Fantastic hunting on the ranch and most of the neighbors' ranches. I'd probably still be there except the wealthy owner decided to put the place up for sale during the 2008 economic downturrn, and I decided to find a place to buy for permanent retirement.  But I still miss that place.

P4060006_zps4e0f5120.jpg

Dogwood
I am amazed at what people will pay to have dogs , just pets not bird dogs, obedience trained.

I am leaning toward that because it doesn't require anything more than some kennels and a couple acres.

And I could just not take any on during hunting season.

And I am ALWAYS looking for GOOD trainers to send clients to; they are always in short supply.

Wisconsin

I retired a year and a half ago at 58 after a 35 year career.

To supplement my pension I built a small, licensed boarding kennel - and am making out well with that, and freelance outdoor writing and selling a few pups.

Most importantly, like mentioned by others here, keeping busy after retirement is key. And the flexibility and freedom of it all is grand.

Ken